• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 665 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

With the recent news from the Moviestorm staff that video hosting will soon be gone from the Moviestorm sites, I would hope that many of you, those that are not already members, will join us over at TMUnderground. TMUnderground, or TMU, is one of the premiere video hosting sites for machinima and animation.

YouTube and Vimeo will get your videos exposure but TMU is comprised strictly of like minded people who use animation tools to create their films. There you will find people very willing to watch your films and help you out when you need it.

So, once the video hosting on the Moviestorm site disappears, or even before that if you want, come join the directors and film makers at TMU.
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#2 65radius

65radius

Director

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (Harb40 @ Oct 1 2013, 4:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With the recent news from the Moviestorm staff that video hosting will soon be gone from the Moviestorm sites, I would hope that many of you, those that are not already members, will join us over at TMUnderground. TMUnderground, or TMU, is one of the premiere video hosting sites for machinima and animation.

I found I could not register, the tmoa link is not working (?). The site is very attractive, and I saw many familiar names featured there!

#3 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 665 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (65radius @ Oct 1 2013, 5:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found I could not register, the tmoa link is not working (?). The site is very attractive, and I saw many familiar names featured there!

On the front page, on the right side, is this notice:
Until we move to the new script and server, I have temporarily turned off new user registration because of a massive influx of spam. If you would like an account, please go here - http://www.tmoaradio...sendmessage.php - and send me a message with your desired username - I will make you an account with a temporary password you can change.

Ken is moving the servers and has run into a slight problem with spammers. Use the link in this message and put that Harb40 or Kwistufa recommended the site to you. That will ensure Ken knows you are not a spammer. (I tested this link and it does take me to the message page)

#4 65radius

65radius

Director

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE (Harb40 @ Oct 1 2013, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Use the link in this message and put that Harb40 or Kwistufa recommended the site to you. That will ensure Ken knows you are not a spammer. (I tested this link and it does take me to the message page)

Thank you. I have now joined!

#5 kwistufa

kwistufa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:53 AM

QUOTE (65radius @ Oct 1 2013, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you. I have now joined!

Yay! smile.gif

Yes Folks, the News from MS is not fantastic, thats for sure.
But TMU is in the midst of swapping to a Bigger & better Server and theres a Bucketload of Keen & Eager Members over there who like making Movies & uploading for all to see just as we have been doing here.

So theres no need for Fear and/or Panic.
Just do what Harb has said above & Bob's your Uncle. wink.gif

Also, the better thing about Uploading or sharing your Flicks at TMU..
is that they can be 'embedded' over there..
So whether you Upload to Veoh, Vimeo, Youtube, or wherever..
Once you have, grab your Embed Code & Paste it on your TMU Moviepage.
Less Fuss!
Though of course you CAN still Upload them to TMU
if you haven't got an Acc at any of the other places I just mentioned..

Start Uploading NOW & join the Forums & make New Friends!
http://www.tmunderground.com/index.php

#6 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

The problem with the TMU site is that there are not a lot of viewers who watch the movies. I removed all my movies from there because there was one person who kept making nasty remarks about my movies so there are a few people there who are not real nice.

#7 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 665 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Oct 2 2013, 7:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem with the TMU site is that there are not a lot of viewers who watch the movies. I removed all my movies from there because there was one person who kept making nasty remarks about my movies so there are a few people there who are not real nice.

I rarely see that there. You want to see people who are not nice, post on YouTube.

TMU is a very good community that is extremely helpful and open to almost anyone. We have grown to over 1500 registered members with about 500 actively posting videos and joining in the forums. Things have changed since you left there Lucinda.

As far as having differences with people, no matter where you go, that can happen. 1 person out of 1500 that has a bad experience is hardly a reason to attack the credibility of a place.Hell, if I left every place that had 1 person say bad things about me, I wouldn't be able to post anywhere. I have learned to take the good with the bad and if I am harassed, I report the offender to the site admins. That is the only way to keep a site in check.Although, that rarely, if ever, happens.

#8 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Well it was one person who harrassed me there and since people don't use their real names on TMU,I have no idea who he really was. I might upload there again, but it is a lot of work to upload all these movies I have on here to TMU since I have almost 200 movies on the Moviestorm site. I just want to encourage the staff here to keep the Movies page here since it is really important to Moviestorm to show all the movies people make with the product.

#9 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3287 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

I think it is important to showcase videos, but also to be able to share the 'practice' type videos with a more forgiving audience.
I think posting at TMU would be a good move, there's a lot of long-time machinima makers who hang out over there, many of whom are very skilled.
There are already a bunch of stormers, and it makes it easier to get into their radio show community and other events.

#10 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 665 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Oct 2 2013, 9:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well it was one person who harrassed me there and since people don't use their real names on TMU,I have no idea who he really was.

How many people on here, on YouTube, on VEOH, on Vimeo or anywhere else, use their real names?

Please do not use that as an excuse. Also, please do not bash a good site just because 1 person out of hundreds had a bad experience. That would be like closing a restaurant down because 1 person was upset with a waiter who was rude.

What TMU offers is only another site to upload and share your videos with. They even have an embed feature so you can share movies uploaded elsewhere without actually having to upload them at TMU.

You mentioned videos don't get as many views there. That may be so but it is a more diverse group because it does include people from different disciplines like iClone, The Sims, Poser, Daz, Muvizu, Second Life and even live action. I am not saying the MS site is not good, it serves a purpose for it's own program but TMU does offer a wider audience with different perspectives.

#11 Ichikaidan

Ichikaidan

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Oct 2 2013, 3:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just want to encourage the staff here to keep the Movies page here since it is really important to Moviestorm to show all the movies people make with the product.

Lucinda,
I support your view wholeheartedly.
I think that Staff should reconsider opening up new cloud based movies hosting server from january 1next year.
So new work and tutorials can continue to be shown and thus allow moviestorm to remain a focused presence on the internet instead of forcing users to scatter all over the webz.
I want to share my efforts with like minded people here on Moviestorm and not be forced to out to some kind Schlock Tubez!
Ok, there are some friendly ones (just rejoined tmu) as pointed out by Harb40.
A central movie hosting page, possibly with separate pages for the colleges would be best option in my mind.
Yes this will orphanage all older works. Which is in most cases really a pity and it is a shame that they cannot be moved to a new server system. Brutal destruction of so many efforts and dreams. Because if One comes after New Year, One's Party will be clearly over.
I think staff should mail ALL users with content on to warn them of the impending withdrawal.
I am very unhappy over these proceedings and communications about taken decisions only without at least consulting the moviemakers in order to view at alternatives.
May the Force be with Moviestorm users
Creating situations and learning to see.

#12 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 665 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (Ichikaidan @ Oct 2 2013, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that Staff should reconsider opening up new cloud based movies hosting server from january 1next year.
So new work and tutorials can continue to be shown and thus allow moviestorm to remain a focused presence on the internet instead of forcing users to scatter all over the webz.

A central movie hosting page, possibly with separate pages for the colleges would be best option in my mind.

I do hope this is only a temporary thing too. Especially since there is a big educational section of the population they are trying to target. I know if I was a student, along with feedback from my fellow students and instructors/teachers, I would like opinions from those who have more experience. Having a categorized movie page similar to how TMU does it (they have categories like Romance, Drama, Western, etc., and channels set up for the different engines, iClone, Moviestorm, Sims, The Movies, etc.), on there you could have a section strictly for student films and one for regular users. We still would be able to comment on each others films but if someone wanted to search for something being done by a student, it is right there in it's own section/channel.

I know Andrew mentioned it was a server problem and not a financial problem. Would it be more cost effective to use a hosting site whereas you would not have to maintain the servers? Then, if there is a server problem that means long downtime, you could move to another server. I know that can be a pain and time consuming but it is an option that could be looked at.

#13 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

Well Google has a hosting site and it is not that expensive either and their drives have lots of space for people to upload movies. I sent a private message to Flashman giving him the link to the Google hosting information. That would work great for Moviestorm.

Here is the link to the Google hosting site application.

https://cloud.google...CFUlp7AodOFQA7w

#14 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for the info Harb, I've joined myself and have found it very helpful in just looking through all the different mediums
Great site! biggrin.gif
I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited.
--PATRICK STEWART--

#15 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1135 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

Hmm yes... must dust off my old TMU login details. I hope there's a password reminder service...

"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Hosting for the Urban Decay Pack thanks to Ichikaiden ... Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#16 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 665 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (sosberg @ Oct 3 2013, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the info Harb, I've joined myself and have found it very helpful in just looking through all the different mediums
Great site! biggrin.gif

Yes it is. Hopefully though the MS staff will be able to come up with something to keep movies on this site but TMU is just another option for people to share their work and get feedback.

#17 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3287 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

Lucinda, there is some sort of legend that you were *banned* over at TMU after a series of arguments and bad behaviour there.
If that is the case, I think it might be more honest to declare it, rather than putting other people off a perfectly friendly machinima community site.
If it isn't true, then I apologise and will remove this post.

#18 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Oct 3 2013, 1:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lucinda, there is some sort of legend that you were *banned* over at TMU after a series of arguments and bad behaviour there.
If that is the case, I think it might be more honest to declare it, rather than putting other people off a perfectly friendly machinima community site.
If it isn't true, then I apologise and will remove this post.

No, I was never banned from TMU. I just stopped uploading movies there as I don't have a lot of time to do that anymore. And I never had any arguments with anyone there. I didn't go on the forums much at all. Ken just does not like me for some reason although we used to be friends.

#19 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3287 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for responding!

#20 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Oct 2 2013, 1:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have only visited TMU a couple of times but haven't signed up. Do they not have Blocking on that site? or an option to delete comments? I was debating whether to sign up there or not. If they dont have those features, I probably wont.

On YouTube I have not had any bad or negative comments on the few Moviestorm promos I've done. In all my two years on YouTube., I have had only 3 serious Troll negativity on any of my vlogs and comedy sketches., and about maybe 5 or 6 constructive critiques which I prefer over "You Suck" comments - LOL. I want them to tell me WHY my video sucked, something helpful, not demeaning.

Ive been lucky on YouTube so far. I have seen seriously the most horrible comments on some people's videos imaginable. One poor guy deformed from birth, I saw a comment telling him he should euthanize himself. Its amazing how brazen those sorry sons of (expletives) are behind the mask of the internet.