• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

2 minutes of something relaxing to listen to while you checkout some fish hanging out (mostly in their tanks), also a fan to cool Jin down....

http://www.moviestor...Servlet?id=2785

------------------------------------
This WIP (work in progress) Animations made with simple auto-animations in max(for each object/fish a separate auto-animation)

I see my fish in the tank only being useful if it could be a single auto-animation of many fish populating a tank-- otherwise it's too hard to setup where the fish go so they keep swimming in the tank only.

This was built exported from sketchup to cal3d using nbconv & then 'reconverting' the nbconv'ted cal3d skeleton and adding the cal3d Caf animation file from max.
The max file has not be rigged nor boned, relying on the 'nbconv' mesh and textures to get by.. hence the reason to build such simple animations.

here's a quick max preview animation just to show the movements and how i wanted the animations to turn out in moviestorm (but never as expected...):

#2 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

tree, that's fantastic! I see how that'd be a complete pain to set up though.

#3 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:30 PM

I'll have to dig out my old goldfish bowl and animations, we can start an aquarium club biggrin.gif
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#4 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:00 AM

That is fantastic and something we really need in Moviestorm. So these were usable as animated props in Moviestorm? Can you do other animals, horses for instance. I need horses for a movie I am doing. How about animating those babies I did as props?

#5 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:21 AM

Tree, can this be done with Maya. I don't have 3ds Max but I do have Maya Unlimited? I mean converting to a Cal3d and using Maya animations?

#6 tapeduck

tapeduck

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:09 AM

Lucinda, look for a pm :mrgreen:

#7 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:34 AM

(tapeduck)
Lucinda, look for a pm :mrgreen:

cool ;-)

-----
(AngriBuddhist)
tree, that's fantastic! I see how that'd be a complete pain to set up though.

come to think about it...
i went about it the hard way...
all i needed to do is place all the fish in a lineup ( like any movable object... then animate) then when placing the fish they could be all placed in the same place (higher on the z axis) and then they swim off in any direction they like staying where they should (in the tank).... it'll just look crazy for the first few seconds of the auto-animation as they are all lined up....

Back to the drawing board :0)

--------------
(Chris Ollis)
I'll have to dig out my old goldfish bowl and animations, we can start an aquarium club biggrin.gif

Yes, sounds good... i miss my real saltwater fish tank...

Would you like to teach these fish how to swim as a single unit? ;-) is it possible?

I'd be happy to send the tank over any time :-) I have a sketchup model with all the fish in the tank, the animated max2008 tank and fish together and the FBX of that almost ready to upload for people interested.

-------------
(lucindamc123)
That is fantastic and something we really need in Moviestorm. So these were usable as animated props in Moviestorm? Can you do other animals, horses for instance. I need horses for a movie I am doing. How about animating those babies I did as props?

Thanks, Yes usable props in moviestorm (when i can be happy with them i'd upload)
No I can't (don't know how) to do a horse nor baby animations :-(. My skills are very primitive.

I'd be cool to be able to be able to do lifeform animations convertible to moviestorm. I'm not able to do that yet... :-( maybe in the near future ....

(lucindamc123)
Tree, can this be done with Maya. I don't have 3ds Max but I do have Maya Unlimited? I mean converting to a Cal3d and using Maya animations?

Yes, should be able to do in maya
Goto worldviz website http://www.worldviz..../index.php?id=9
find the :
Vizard 3.0 Exporters
and then the
Cal3d vizard exporter for maya 7-8.5 could be used. Sorry i haven't used it but it does seem promising :-)

#8 jleao

jleao

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:36 AM

I tree...wondeful job you´re doing. Can i ask for your help? Here it goes:

What are the steps necesary to put an aninmated model in Moviestorm?

I have 3ds max and i can work with it (not a pro or even a smi-pro... i consider myself an amateur and i can build simple models).
So, let´s say i made an animated prop in 3ds max... where do i go from here? what steps? How do i convert to the collada format...how do i import it to Moviestorm? Where do i put the files? Thanks so much for your help....i bet all the Moviestorm community with interest in 3d would appreciate if you could guide us on the right direction....