• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#1 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

If you've downloaded the early access release of Moviestorm 1.4, we want to hear your comments. Praise and criticism are equally welcome here - we want to know what you liked and what you didn't like. You should also use this thread to report any bugs you encounter.

If you'd like to try Moviestorm version 1.4 before its official release, click here for details of the Early Access build.
Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)

#2 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

Ok not sure if this is a bug or a one off thing, so far in my testing all is well, but still more to do.

Anyway, for each section I went into the tips box appeared fine, but after first being in directors view, then going to camera view, then dressing room and customising some of my characters I went back to workshop view and the tip box appeared but it was just white with only the scroll and accept buttons showing. Clicking the accept (tick) the box went away and things carried on as normal then.

#3 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

I downloaded the boot-win.properties, copied my Moviestorm-1.3 folder to Moviestorm-1.4 folder, added the boot-win.properties to the boot folder in the Moviestorm-1.4 folder, clicked on the license for the spare heads in the link below, started 1.3 to make sure it still ran ok (it downloaded the spareheads) and it runs normal.

I put another shortcut for the 1.4 folder and exe file on my desktop, click on it, it downloads the spare heads, but still runs as if it is 1.3. It didn't update to 1.4. Any suggestions? I tried it twice going step by step according to this page: http://www.moviestor...ReleaseLicence/

It is probably something I am doing wrong but can't seem to figure it out.
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#4 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:10 PM

My moviestorm has updated fine with the new features etc, the desktop icon still shows as moviestorm 1.3 though however launching moviestorm it shows the correct version number.

Did you allow it to do all the updates? I found that after the initial update it had more to do as it updates the base pack and most of the other packs too.

#5 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3262 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

Loving the new dressing room!

Goodies;

1)Love the new skin.
2)freckles, wrinkles and zits are wonderful
3) lighting is amazing!!!!!
4) spooky spooky spooky but charming ...characters turning slightly when camera turns in dressing room
5) new eyes for old heads are beautiful!

problems so far

1) lack of consistency with layer orderof lipsticks
2) slightly spooky eyewhite painting with some eyeshadows...my puppet went all queen of the undead on me for a moment
3) eyelashes don't show through spectacles glass (at least in dressing room)

Comment

1) make-up presets are as awful as always, hopefully we can mod these

#6 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

@kv - Do me a favour then, please: fire up Moviestorm and start a new (standard) movie. Hit the "Help" button (the ? icon in the top right), and from the main page click the Set Workshop View icon. Hopefully this will reproduce your bug (it should display the Set Workshop View popup guide, hopefully in the same broken state). If it does, please take a screengrab and post it in this thread.

If anybody else manages to reproduce kv's bug, please grab a screenshot too!

@Harb40 - Just to be absolutely sure you're running the right executable, please open Windows Explorer and navigate to your new Moviestorm 1.4 directory. Inside that directory, double-click on Moviestorm.exe. That'll ensure you're running 1.4 and not 1.3 by accident. If that still gives the same errors, I'm not sure what to suggest, I'm afraid. I think you'll have to wait until QA can take a look at your bug tomorrow.

Thanks for the bug reports, everyone. Please keep them coming. MS staff are not actively checking the forums again until 10am tomorrow (GMT), but we'll try to respond as soon as we can.
Johnnie Ingram

#7 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

I have not been able to reproduce it, it may well have been because of the movie I had loaded as it has a number of custom models in it. I will report again if I see it again.

#8 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:31 PM

I am playing around with the new dressing room, I love some of the looks that can be achieved with the new face morpher, however there is something I would have preferred with the effects makeup, rather than it just being turning an option on or off I would have preffered if you could use the same thing multiple times in different positions. For example Blood 01 looks good, but if we could layer that more than once we could have the face really covered in blood and in various places, same with the scar we could have several scars rather than just one.

One way I thin this could be achieved is by having a list of the effects that we applied, so you choose your effect and select apply, it would then appear in the box (and shown on the puppets face), the user can then move it around and apply more of that effect if desired.

Also it is good that we can use different eye types, something I need though is pure white eyes (maybe with some blood shocked veins), the 3rd party ZS eyes pack has white eyes which are perfect but they cannot be used with the new morphable heads. So any chance moviestorm could possibly get this in?

#9 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

Loving it so far, and no compatibility problems with my sets for my forthcoming 'oeuvres'.

I see you can have any colour skin you want - Avatar anyone?

The face morphing is great fun, and while tweaking various knobs I finally figured how to - ahem - 'stimulate' my after dark male wink.gif that's not new in 1.4, but it was to me!

"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

#10 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:40 PM

I dunno if this is a bug, but when I choose Get More Content, the freebies from Moviestorm show up with both Buy and Installed notices.

In the dressing room, if you click on "Replace with a character from Stock", it appears you have to choose a character. I know that 99.9% of the time, people are likely to do that, but it would be nice to be able to click the window away and keep what you have. I'm a big fan of being able to look at things without changing anything.

#11 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Aug 12 2010, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) make-up presets are as awful as always, hopefully we can mod these

Thanks for the kind words Kate dry.gif
There are 6 other subtle makeup variants that didn't make it in to this build and are sat waiting to go out with the first patch.
The main idea for the makeup pages was to give users the idea of what can be done and therefore what they can do themselves. There is no way we can guess exactly what shade of Urban Decay they want to apply to their puppets so we have left it quite open (although the multi-part tints should go some way to achieving this).

I fully intend to do a wound pack at some point and would hope that other modders would follow suit and provide some of the near infinite makeup variants that may be desired.
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#12 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (kv @ Aug 12 2010, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am playing around with the new dressing room........................................

a)We could only put in a certain amount to begin with without having this take forever
b)It is all in the pipeline
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#13 Dave

Dave

Critically acclaimed

• Mods
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

@kv: We did have some ideas for a layer manager for all your decals which is likely to be along in a later release.
Chief Bit Shoveller
Short Fuze Ltd

#14 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

May I say I love the changes?

Regarding Makeup and Effects, it would be nice if more choices were available for both men and women. I'm especially thinking of Camo, Scar, Skull, and Cat. Oh! One more suggestion for both: Mime.

Under beards, it would be nice to have a few more moustache options: Chaplin/Hitler, pencil thin, and conservative/military (as in, it doesn't curl at the ends of the lips). The only current choice is a bit hippie/bandito. Hmm. It would also be nice to have a broader, more bandito moustache. And maybe a Fu Manchu?

On the dream list, it would be nice if we could choose a Makeup, then adjust it in the Skin Detail window.

#15 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (Dave @ Aug 12 2010, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@kv: We did have some ideas for a layer manager for all your decals which is likely to be along in a later release.

That would be great, glad your thinking ahead on that already biggrin.gif

#16 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (willshetterly @ Aug 12 2010, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
May I say I love the changes?

You may.
Johnnie Ingram

#17 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (johnnie @ Aug 12 2010, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@Harb40 - Just to be absolutely sure you're running the right executable, please open Windows Explorer and navigate to your new Moviestorm 1.4 directory. Inside that directory, double-click on Moviestorm.exe. That'll ensure you're running 1.4 and not 1.3 by accident. If that still gives the same errors, I'm not sure what to suggest, I'm afraid. I think you'll have to wait until QA can take a look at your bug tomorrow.

The desktop icon I used was a direct link to the exe file in my Moviestorm-1.4 folder. Tried a different trick, I ran the exe file as 'administrator' and it started the update. Don't know why this worked but it did. The update didn't start until the main 'logon' welcome screen sat for 3 minutes. (maybe it was because I tried starting the program as soon as the start button became available instead of waiting?????)
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#18 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:06 PM

Haha, I love it when they get a new clothing and they look at themselves like "Wow, looks good" laugh.gif

And the face morphing is amazing!!! biggrin.gif

Oh, and the make-up and other face related color variations are sooooooo fantastic biggrin.gif

I'm really very excited now as I play around with 1.4 biggrin.gif

Oh, there's tears, too!

I feel like a child at Christmas now laugh.gif

#19 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (johnnie @ Aug 12 2010, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You may.

Excellent! If you'd chosen to call this one version 2.0, I wouldn't have quibbled with it. Things like Sunburn are magnificent. I could probably sit for hours clicking the "small changes" and the "big changes" buttons for face morphs. We'll keep wanting more, of course, but this version is to love. Go, y'all!

ETA: And we can make characters any color we want! Hurrah!

#20 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

It didn't install a Moviestorm 1.4 directory at all. I opened Moviestorm 1.3 and it downloaded everything and said it installed it but nothing is different.