• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 RAGolko

RAGolko

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

Hi, I followed the instructions to run 1.4 and even though I placed the boot windows file in the boot folder, and ran Moviestorm, it didn't download and upgrade anything.

Now when I press New Movie, all the options are gone except the blank move and tutorial.

How can I fix this to run 1.4?

#2 peet

peet

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (RAGolko @ Aug 12 2010, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, I followed the instructions to run 1.4 and even though I placed the boot windows file in the boot folder, and ran Moviestorm, it didn't download and upgrade anything.

Now when I press New Movie, all the options are gone except the blank move and tutorial.

How can I fix this to run 1.4?

Open Moviestorm but don't start it. Go to the 1.4 instruction page and click on #5 "Grant License to Spareheads"
Moviestorm started updating after I did that.

#3 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

I have the same problem. The spareheads are there, but no patch was installed and it still says V1.3... I made a copy and tried to install over that.

I'm running on Windows 7 (64 bits), 8GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce GT320, Core i3 CPU @2.93GHz.
V1.3 has been working perfectly on this config.
"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

#4 gitsch

gitsch

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (luxaeternam @ Aug 12 2010, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the same problem. The spareheads are there, but no patch was installed and it still says V1.3... I made a copy and tried to install over that.

I'm running on Windows 7 (64 bits), 8GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce GT320, Core i3 CPU @2.93GHz.
V1.3 has been working perfectly on this config.

Same problem, I copied Boot,win to the new boot directory, but it didnt overwrite the old one, so I still get old 1.3. If I try to re write it, it shows its already there, BUT If I look for it with explorer it doesn't show. a rights issue maybe?

#5 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:07 PM

When you start moviestorm do not go to launch, leave it on the startup (login) screen, when I updated it took a few moments for it to start, but all went well after that.

#6 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

I think KV is correct. Moviestorm can sometimes take up to a minute to contact our servers and register the presence of a new patch. Fire up the Launcher, and wait patiently until Moviestorm notices the patch. It'll start downloading automatically. Wait for the updates to install, make sure you've got a licence for SpareHeads, and then restart Moviestorm.

Hopefully that'll fix the problem. There's nobody in at Moviestorm Towers right now, but if you're still having problems cleverer heads than mine will deal with it tomorrow morning (UK time).
Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)

#7 mike.carlin

mike.carlin

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (kv @ Aug 12 2010, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you start moviestorm do not go to launch, leave it on the startup (login) screen, when I updated it took a few moments for it to start, but all went well after that.

Sadly, I've been waiting over 20 minutes now and still no update sad.gif - (apart from SpareHeads)

#8 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

It might be that the boot-win.properties was not replaced.
It seems to be tricky at least on Vista (and probably Windows 7) to replace that file due to the user permissions.

It did fail on me, too, as I still have the old boot-win.properties file there despite of downloading the new one to the boot folder - it wasn't replaced.

Updating on Vista and Windows 7:

Step 1:
Download the new boot-win.properties file to your Documents folder and open it with Notepad. Copy its contents.

Step 2:
Run Notepad as admin (right click on Notepad and select "run as admin")
Then locate and open the old boot-win.properties file which you want to replace. Make sure that it's set to find "All files" not just ".txt" files.
Paste the contents of the new boot-win.properties file (REPLACE the old contents).
Save.

#9 gitsch

gitsch

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (mike.carlin @ Aug 12 2010, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sadly, I've been waiting over 20 minutes now and still no update sad.gif - (apart from SpareHeads)

I did get a download of something, which stated it was finished before, but still got old MS.
An now I tried waiting 20 minutes, but it's the same.

I think it's the Vista Thing Mysery Egypt says above I think.

I'll just wait a day till the brain trust figures it out.

#10 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:51 PM

I'll try the workaround I posted above, and let you know how it went - although I'm VERY sure that it works smile.gif

EDIT
Yup, it's updating smile.gif

Let me know if you need help with the workaround or have questions.

#11 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:58 PM

Oops I had a blonde moment...I forgot to put the boot.win thingummy in the boot subfolder - doh that should have been blindingly obvious tongue.gif
Of course, now it is updating and I'll be able to play around at long last!
"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

#12 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:07 PM

Grr! Stupid Windows and its stupid virtual folders!

Vista and Windows 7 users are going to have some problems overwriting the boot file. We should have thought of that, but didn't. mystery_egypt's proposed fix is a good one, so I'd recommend following those additional steps if you're running Vista or W7.

We'll look at this in more detail tomorrow and see if we can come up with a more robust solution. Either way, this will only be a problem for the early access release - when we release 1.4 Final the moviestorm updater will take care of file overwriting automatically.

Bigtime kudos to mystery_egypt for spotting the problem and posting a fix.
Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)

#13 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

One solution to the problem for Vista and 7 users is to disable the user account control feature in windows (Warning you should only do this if you are the Admin on your computer and know what you are doing with computers):
click start
click control panel
click user accounts
click "change user account control settings"
Pull the slider all the way down to "Never notify"
You may be prompted to restart your computer for the changes to take affect, but when you have done that no longer will windows annoy you with endless questions and you should not be restricted on over writing files when you need to.

#14 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

As I posted in the other topic, permanently disabling UAC is NOT recommended from the computer security point of view - just a word of warning wink.gif

#15 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 673 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

What I did was run the program as 'admistrator' then let the 'logon' screen sit for a few minutes. It finally started the update.
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#16 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

Thank god I still use XP, the update started instantly and seemed to proceed without ay issues, now i just gotta start playing with 1.4

I don't think I will upgrade to Windows 7 (Vista I would never upgrade too) until Microsoft officially make XP dead or something I need requires 7 as minimum spec.. smile.gif

#17 jleao

jleao

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 185 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

I have WINDOWS 7 and got no problem wahtsoever making the update, but at first i thought i did.
I made everything that was in the instructions and then i fired up Moviestorm 1.3. But nothing happened, so i closed Moviestorm and open it again. After about 30 seconds it started the update. The only time i got worried was when in the middle of the update it gave me an error. It was related to the Aftter dark pack. it gave me an error saying it couldn´t find the jar...i hit continue and forgot to write the complete error message, sorry.
But at least it´s working...and my old work project seems to be working with no problems. Fot now, everything fine. Thanks Shortfuze it seems a big jump forward. i will be posting my feedback in two days.

#18 gitsch

gitsch

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:17 PM

Update. I did get that file copied and 1.4 working on my Vista system, by temporarily disabling UAC.

#19 mcornetto

mcornetto

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:01 AM

Having problems installing this on windows 7 the update keeps failing at different points. The first couple of times it resumed next time I started. This time it hasn't resumed and I don't think things are installed correctly because the character screen is just grey.

#20 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (mcornetto @ Aug 13 2010, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Having problems installing this on windows 7 the update keeps failing at different points. The first couple of times it resumed next time I started. This time it hasn't resumed and I don't think things are installed correctly because the character screen is just grey.

Try the first step I suggested here:
http://www.moviestor...p...ost&p=63341

Since you're on Windows 7, I'd recommend you to run Notepad as admin, locate and open the boot file, and replace that certain line. Then save.

It has worked for Jsted62 who was in a similar situation as you.

Good luck! smile.gif