• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:06 PM

To reduce download sizes, the content packs shipped with 1.2 or 1.3 no longer contain files which are only used by the modders workshop. (The data these files contained is kept in the files created on publishing packs, where it is loaded faster by Moviestorm). This however means that users of the Modders Workshop will need copies of these files, if they wish to view any of the models in the Modders Workshop, or create any mods that are texture variations of these existing models.

• Download the ModdersWorkshop.addon file, and install it, using the 'Install AddOn File' button on the Get More Content panel.
  • You will probably need to restart Moviestorm after loading it for the first time. It may quit with a warning message saying " No Licence!" Don't worry, this is normal. This pack is only used by Modders Workshop and doesn't affect the rest of Moviestorm.

EDIT: Changed title and updated with the download location of the 1.5 version of the ModdersWorkshop.addon
Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)

#2 bpgueze

bpgueze

Film Critic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:12 AM

what is a Modder's License and ehy do we need it

#3 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:31 AM

What is a Modder's License and why do we need it?

A Modder's Licence (also known as a Moviestorm Publisher Licence) is required to start the Modder's Workshop; the button on the launcher only appears once you have a licence.

The username and password you recieve for your Modder's Licence are used when logging in, within the Modder's Workshop, so that you can publish content packs (Addons) that you have made, so that they can be used within Moviestorm.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#4 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

I didn't have to install the new Modder's Workshop but since Moviestorm downloaded and installed all the addons, core, base etc, automatically, then it may have done it itself. Everything working absolutely perfectly.

#5 ed

ed

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 373 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Apr 21 2010, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't have to install the new Modder's Workshop but since Moviestorm downloaded and installed all the addons, core, base etc, automatically, then it may have done it itself. Everything working absolutely perfectly.

I thought that too, because I had a Modder's Workshop button on my launch screen. However, when I was poking about earlier, looking for a bodypart to mod, the file didn't exist! (I wanted to re-texture the head of the free rockstar puppet). Following Reacher's suggestion, I downloaded and installed the Modder's Workshop addon; Moviestorm then prompted me to get some 1.2 updates (I'm not using 1.3 on this particular machine) and that seemed to fix everything--at least, a whole bunch of bodypart files appeared under ../AddOn/ModdersWorkshop which didn't exist before I installed the modshop addon.

#6 alloysss

alloysss

Film Critic

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Apr 21 2010, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A Modder's Licence (also known as a Moviestorm Publisher Licence) is required to start the Modder's Workshop; the button on the launcher only appears once you have a licence.

The username and password you recieve for your Modder's Licence are used when logging in, within the Modder's Workshop, so that you can publish content packs (Addons) that you have made, so that they can be used within Moviestorm.

how and were can i get the licence? (is there a topic on it? if so where?)

thx
-alloysss (air studios)
take that - rule the world comming to moviestorm on 16/7/10

#7 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:29 PM

You have to send a message to one of the staff members and let them know that you would like a Modders License. I'm not sure which one handles that, but here is ms_amos's profile page http://www.moviestor...p;showuser=6395
Just click "Send Message" at the bottom of the page.

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#8 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

Ach. I've downloaded the zipfile, unzipped into another folder but when I click on install addon from the launcher and navigate to the folder it doesn't see the .Addon file. What am I doing wrong?

#9 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5382 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

I think the problem is that the file is not really a .zip. I had the same issue.
If you unzip it you end up with a file called .Addon and any file which begins with a dot is invisible to Windows. I noticed that other addons which had already been installed had this same file. So I tried without unzipping and it worked OK.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#10 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:34 AM

Thanks Prim, that seemed to work. I had to rename the .zip to .addon for it to be seen though.

#11 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the tips guys, was driving me daft. I found geting the installer to search for all files instead of moviestorm addon files, and renaming the fake zip file to [dot]addon did the trick..phew!

#12 neut

neut

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

BAH!! My license has stopped working and I can't remember how to set it. I was told years ago that if I go somewhere and delete something then restart the modders workshop irt will be fine, but I can't remember what I need to delete.

Any ideas?

neut

#13 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (neut @ Mar 16 2011, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BAH!! My license has stopped working and I can't remember how to set it. I was told years ago that if I go somewhere and delete something then restart the modders workshop irt will be fine, but I can't remember what I need to delete.

Any ideas?

neut

In the modders workshop, on the 'Help' menu is an option called 'refresh publishers licence' (or something similar). Using that deletes your local copy of your modders licence so that when you next start Moviestorm it is downloaded again.

That said, it is also possible that you have forgotten the username/password. You should have an email from when it was created.
neut holds a PublisherLicence, for publisher name 'neutopia', created at 11:41:46 02 Jul 2010.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#14 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 928 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Jan 14 2011, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the tips guys, was driving me daft. I found getting the installer to search for all files instead of moviestorm addon files, and renaming the fake zip file to [dot]addon did the trick..phew!

I found Windows wouldn't allow me to rename the file ."addon" as it kept prompting me to type a filename so I renamed it mw.addon and used the Get More Content interface to point to the addon and install it.

EDIT: Oh CR@P!!! So the addon ended up being called "MW". I renamed the zip to ModdersWorkshop and redid the install so the addon folder would be called ModdersWorkshop as I figured subsequent pack updates would be looking for this folder name. Sure enough once it finished installing it detected some patches and installed those updates as well.

Long story short for anyone coming across this: Rename just the .zip extension on ModdersWorkshop.zip so the file is named ModdersWorkshop.addon. Launch Moviestorm, click on "Get More Content" then "Install addon file" and point to ModdersWorkshop.addon.

#15 msimanga

msimanga

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:54 PM

The base.jar file given says invalid something....Can I get another link please

#16 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:39 PM

The base.jar file given says invalid something....Can I get another link please

I'm not sure why you would be downloading the base jar file manually, but if the launcher was failing to download it correctly, and you needed to download it manually, it would come from http://cloud.moviest...estorm-base.jar

Once it is downloaded, put it in the 'download' folder of your moviestorm installation, and then run the launcher again - it should use the already downloaded version instead of downloading another copy from the internet.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#17 Daneel

Daneel

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:33 AM

Hey all.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

I'm trying to mod a costume texture by following SquirrleyGirl's tutorial. All has gone well until i try to open the bodyparts folder under Female01.

I open the folder and there is nothing in it, even after waiting a few minutes for it to populate. I looked fourther down this thread  and it seems that maybe I have to install a Modders Workshop addon in order to be able to view the files in that folder?

That said, I'm using MS 1.7.1 and the only version of the MW addon I've seen so far is for V1.5. Will V1.5 addon work with MS 1.7.1,  or is there a new addon version somewhere? Or do I even need that and am I, in fact doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.