• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Daneel

Daneel

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

Hey guys. My MS has just begun to act up. Freezing for seconds at a time and randomly crashing. There is no reason for this. Nothing has changed with my system. It just started to happen this week. Any suggestions? I was thinking of re-installing it, but if I do will I lose all my movies and addons?

#2 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

No, you won't: your movies and third-party addons (ie, those not part of Moviestorm's content packs) are saved in your user data folder, at C:\Users\[yourname]\Moviestorm if running on a Windows-based system (Vista and later).

Nevertheless, before you proceed with such a radical approach, you may try to determine what's the reason of the problem. If so please follow the instructions given in this post for gathering the log and crash information.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#3 Daneel

Daneel

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

Righto. Here's all the info. Hope someone can get to the bottom of it.

Attached Files

#4 Daneel

Daneel

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:05 AM

Re-install fixed it. Still, it would be interesting to know what was happening if someone has a few minutes sometime to take a look at the logs. Cheers.

#5 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

You certainly have a lot more addons than I do and I notice a lot of them are causing issues. If you search in the Log.txt file for "Couldn't load addon file" you will see them. I would remove all those for a start.

Also do a search for "Failed to load texture" and try and figure out where the missing textures are.

Unless your PC is really powerful I wouldn't activate any  user-created) addons thst you are not using in a particular movie. They have always been a potential source of problems.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#6 Daneel

Daneel

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

Thanks P. As it turns out the re-install hasn't fixed anything. It's begun freezing again; so this is good. gives me something to go at. When you say you wouldn't activate user created addons, do you mean I should remove them from my addons folder completely so MS doesn't find them? And when you say do a search for Failed to load texture, would be a text search in the Log file?

#7 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:36 PM

Thanks P. As it turns out the re-install hasn't fixed anything. It's begun freezing again; so this is good. gives me something to go at. When you say you wouldn't activate user created addons, do you mean I should remove them from my addons folder completely so MS doesn't find them? And when you say do a search for Failed to load texture, would be a text search in the Log file?

You don't need to remove them from the folder just disable them in the Settings boz when you start MS. You could start by choosing the option to "Safe Addons Only" which will untick all the user-created ones., then add the ones you are actually using one at a time into the movie.This might help you narrow down whether it is being caused by a particular addon.

Yes search the log.txt file for  the word "Failed" and it will give you some more clues.

#8 Daneel

Daneel

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

thanks P. did all that. Oddly, disabling all the user created add ons made matters worse! I re-enabled them and things improved for a while but now it's at it again :(
Also, on doing a search, there were no instances of "Failed" anywhere in the Log.txt file. Does the file rewrite itself with every new session?

On further investigation, it seems to be randomly failing to resolve various class mscope things (sorry, I don't know what these are). It looks like this;

Failed to resolve class mscope.things.ai.StateMachine$State: NEUTRAL
Done LoadStateMachine (3.11s).
This is preceded by a bunch of warnings about various duplicated animations. could this have anything to do with what's causing my woes?

#9 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:30 PM

Try disabling Shaders in the settings box. What are the specs of your PC e.g. what kind of graphics card do you have and how much memory does it have?

#10 Daneel

Daneel

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

I disabled the shaders and there has been an improvement. no more freezing so far.

However this fix is less than ideal because I make much use of the Depth Of Field functions and also the movie doesn't look any good without shadows. I could really use a solution that allows me to make use of the full functionality of the software.
I take it the info I provided in my last post was of no consequence to my problem?
I really can't understand what's going on. It's only just started doing this a week or so ago. Until then everything ran smoothly with shadows at maximum and depth of field changes all over the place.

Puter specs:

Windows 8.1

Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz

2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

Thanks again for trying to help. I realise this is not an MS tech support forum and so any help I receive from you guys is greatly appreciated :)

EDIT: turning shaders off improved things for a few minutes. situation now same regardless of shaders state.

#11 Daneel

Daneel

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:13 PM

So, more info.
Out of sheer frustration I've done another re-install. This time I moved all the folders (addons, movies, stock etc to another folder) did a quick, very basic test movie with the 'Star' character a couple buildings and some prims, no extra lights. I saved it, closed it and looked at the Log.txt file and right off the bat MS is failing to find/load one particular texture:

Failed to load texture: Costumes/Female_Swimwear_01/Textures/Base_Mesh_Female_Nails_Diff.dds
java.io.FileNotFoundException: Data\Puppets\Female01\Costumes\Female_Swimwear_01\Textures\Base_Mesh_Female_Nails_Diff.dds (The system cannot find the path specified)

Unfortunately my addons folder is completely empty so I'm unable to verify whether this texture is in fact there or not.

The freezing is continuing for between 6 - 10 seconds to perform a simple scrub of the timeline, Anything from 12 to 30 seconds to save the movie.

I then made another movie without the swimwear and the freezing continued to happen. I checked the log and there were no fails.

#12 mcarman

mcarman

Film Critic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:15 AM

Cant help you with the missing textures, but in regards to the lag, I had some form of lagging when I first installed so I changed the default amount of ram that java uses for moviestorm and it seemed to help out a lot.

If you want to try that, since you have plenty of ram, go into the main moviestorm folder and find the file: Moviestorm.l4j.ini and open it with a text editor.

Change -Xmx512M to  -Xmx1024M

Then save the file and start moviestorm and see if that helps with the lag.

If you have stability issues you might lower the amount to -Xmx800M

I am using -Xmx1024M with no issues, but every machine is different in its own way

#13 Daneel

Daneel

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the reply dude.

The other day, as a complete Hail Mary, I updated my video drivers. This worked wonders. Now it only freezes and crashes on a  couple of very complex scenes with more than ten characters onscreen and a bunch of flashing lights and whatnot. Why this should have worked when MS was working perfectly well on the old drivers two weeks ago, I have no idea.

I'm going to try your suggestion as well though. Maybe that will take care of the complex scenes too.

#14 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

The problem is that Windows has so many updates any one of which can set of a chain reaction and require the updating of other drivers etc.

MS used to advise you to make the change to the Moviestorm.l4j.ini that mcarman mentions, but I seem to remember they advised against it more recently after they made changes to how the addons are managed in memory. YMMV however.

#15 Daneel

Daneel

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

Yes P. I tried making those changes and MS wouldn't start at all.