13 replies to this topic

#1 rileyman

rileyman

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

Hi there!

Years ago I was fairly active in "The Movies" community, but alas, my copy of Lionhead Studio's game simply refuses to work anymore.  Disk on the fritz, much grumbling, sad faces, and so forth.  I'm also noticing that the follow-up stomping ground over at tmunderground must have since lost its forums.

I was wanted to get back into some creative ventures, so I finally tried out the Moviestorm trial about two weeks ago.  It only took a few days mucking around with it to feel like I was getting the hang of things, so I'd call that a success.  I'm loving its ability to stage individual scenes, apply gestures and facial expressions, etc.  I've managed to pump out three silly little films over two weeks while working full time -- so I feel like this will let me have that creative outlet inside my schedule.

Things do look a little slow here though...  so I have some hesitation about purchasing.  While I'll be having a peek over iClone's way, I suspect its extra hurdles (pricing, learning curve) will prove a little too high.

Are these parodies too over the top?

#2 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:06 PM

You're most welcome! Feel free to ask and we'll try our best to give you a useful and honest answer :)

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#3 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5365 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:37 PM

The more bodies we get on board, the more life there is in the forums. Jamoram and I are always happy to help where we can.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#4 rileyman

rileyman

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:50 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

As long as I have your attention...  One thing I'm experiencing on occasion is a particularly flappy mouth -- uh, on my characters during lip sync; not mine. ^_^  Not always, just on certain lines; probably the more frenetic recordings.  The odd thing is it only shows up during export, not when I'm filming and watching the scene.   Anyone happen to see this behaviour before?

#5 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 928 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:33 AM

Years ago I was fairly active in "The Movies" community, but alas, my copy of Lionhead Studio's game simply refuses to work anymore.  Disk on the fritz, much grumbling, sad faces, and so forth.  I'm also noticing that the follow-up stomping ground over at tmunderground must have since lost its forums.

Welcome aboard Rileyman! I remember you from TMO/TMU. 

I know rileyman is now aware of the new The new The Movies Underground url's but in case anyone else is not, here they are:

http://forum.tmunder...ndex.php?/index

http://movies.tmunderground.com/

#6 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5365 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:15 AM

One thing I'm experiencing on occasion is a particularly flappy mouth -- uh, on my characters during lip sync; not mine. ^_^  Not always, just on certain lines; probably the more frenetic recordings.  The odd thing is it only shows up during export, not when I'm filming and watching the scene.   Anyone happen to see this behaviour before?

I haven't seen that specifically but a couple of things spring to mind.

Are you recording straight into MS or importing audio files?. Make sure you don't have any ambient sounds or music in the recording which the program could be trying to interpret as speech. 

Also are you typing in the text of the dialogue as well as recording it? That helps greatly,

I sometimes use phonetic spelling if I am lip-synching to foreign languages and it seems to work quite well.

#7 rileyman

rileyman

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:21 AM

I record my lines in Audacity, and do a noise removal pass on them.  I'm feeling like it's probably just the more "animated" lines -- or maybe the volume is too high.

So typing the text being spoken is actually used to help process the lip-sync?  I actually was doing that, but I assumed it was primarily just for display purposes in the timeline -- so that you knew which audio clip you were moving around during editing.  It's possible the actual lines and what I typed didn't precisely match.  I'll play with that to see how it affects things...

#8 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 879 posts
  • Interests:Film - writing - directing - aviation - traveling - machinema - reading - acting -

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:16 AM

Welcome!!!!!

There is no try, only do or do not.

Learn story telling in the MOVIESTORM education forum. 

START HERE:  http://www.moviestor...showtopic=13153

#9 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5365 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:55 AM

So typing the text being spoken is actually used to help process the lip-sync? 

Yes it does have a major effect in my view. The other thing that throws lip sync is if there is music playing. So if you are making a Music vid you are better to fool the lip sync by recording yourself speaking the words (in the right tempo) and add the music in post.

Also, as no doubt you know, watch out for "clipping" if the volume gets too loud.

As an aside I have been using MS for nearly 9 years and I keep finding things it can do that I had never known - or possibly forgotten about ;) it really is remarkably capable in the hands of an expert, and someday I hope to be one ;)

#10 rileyman

rileyman

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:37 AM

My trial ended.  I bought the software.  So I guess I'd better get to it! :ph34r:

#11 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

Hope you'll enjoy the experience.

There are plenty of advices and ancient wisdom (even clues of the most archane knowledge for the initiated) in these forums, though sometimes it could be really hard to find what you're looking for; there are even some real veteran Sages still around and, finally, there are a few of us, enthusiastic wannabes.

So in case you need some help, don't be shy and ask the question.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#12 czechboysonic

czechboysonic

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:42 AM

Things do look a little slow here though...  so I have some hesitation about purchasing

A "little" slow is an understatement. The pace is positively glacial when it comes to MS, sadly. Last post over on the official Dev blog was from April 2016 ... and that wasn't even a dev-post per se, it was announcing the cancellation of the Passion competition for that year ...

#13 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3285 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

My trial ended.  I bought the software.  So I guess I'd better get to it! :ph34r:

Hi Rileyman! I just opened Moviestorm for the first time in a few years...it still works, I can remember stuff...wow!
Glad to see you arrive here. :-) keep asking those questions, it's helping me too.

#14 EugeneE

EugeneE

Master Director

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:06 PM

Hi Hi Rileyman! and welcome to the group.

I used to be very active a few years ago here but over the past couple of years, I've been off and on. Just released my first Moviestorm animation in almost 2 years.

I too started in the Movies, I started around 2006-2008, made a few videos. Two of my videos are based on a video that I made in The Movies in 2008, remade it in 2009 or 2010 and released the definite version in 2015 and it's called I Love You To Death

Original version:

http://www.moviestor...w&vid_id=103175

Last version which is the real and complete version:

http://www.moviestor...w&vid_id=110962