Photo

Huffyuv Rendered Video imported into Sony/Magix Vegas: Solved!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 922 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:44 PM

I've long struggled with getting this configured and reconfigured following system crashes or installations on new computers and I was never able to identify one exact step to make it work and work effectively. At one point I could import audio and video but my clips couldn't exceed 45 seconds in length.

I set out to find a solution and  tried an number of ones that did not work and stepped back and uninstalled any programs or codecs once failure was determined. The following solution worked on my Windows 10 64 Bit  computer running Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 13. It is such and easy and lean solution that it makes me wonder why it has been so difficult to identify. There are a lot of just plain wrong or stupid suggestions out there on youtube and the web. Apparently, you can also cause some functionality issues with Vegas if you install codec packs that overwrite the default codecs for Vegas. When I say this solution is lean, it is because you are installing the Huffyuv codec and only the Huffyuv codec. It's a much more effective solution than rendering in Webm or even Huffuy from Moviestorm and converting the video in another application. I successfully imported a 3 minute video into Vegas without any audio or video synch issues. 

The title says Windows 7 but it worked for me on Windows 10. I'd love to hear from anyone else that's struggled with this as to whether this solution works for them. 

Huffyuv Installation on Windows 7 64 Bit Video

#2 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:02 AM

Thanks a bunch for the hint!

It shouldn't as described in the video: maybe I'm missing some quirky detail, but installing a 64-bit PE binary file inside the SysWoW64 is against the canon, as it's the place to put the components for giving support for 32-bit applications for running on a 64-bit operating system.

However, and despite whatever the canon says, it DOES work. Nevertheless, I'll try to do some further research.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#3 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

Well, I've made further research on this subject.

The reason for this actually working is that, despite the codec files are installed inside the wrong folder (ie, %WINDIR%/SysWoW64), the installation info file specifies the correct registry key for installing a 64-bit executable on a 64-bit operating system:

[HUF.Reg]
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers32,vidc.HFYU,,huffyuv.dll
HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc, huffyuv.dll,, "Huffyuv lossless codec"
HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\icm\VIDC.HFYU,Description,,"Huffyuv lossless codec [HFYU]"
HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\icm\VIDC.HFYU,Driver,,"huffyuv.dll"
HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\icm\VIDC.HFYU,FriendlyName,,"Huffyuv lossless codec [HFYU]"

So, regardless the codec files are actually installed, the operating system will find them when required by a 64-bit application. That is, the procedure described will work, but it's not elegant and will raise problems if you're going to install both the 32-bit codec and the 64-bit code in the same machine.

As a matter of fact, the 32-bit version of the codec, as provided, won't work at all in a 64-bit operating system, for the registry section of its .inf file goes like this: (see note below)

[HUF.Reg]
HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\icm\VIDC.HFYU,Description,,"Huffyuv lossless codec [HFYU]"
HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\icm\VIDC.HFYU,Driver,,"huffyuv.dll"
HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\icm\VIDC.HFYU,FriendlyName,,"Huffyuv lossless codec [HFYU]"

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc",huffyuv.dll,,"Huffyuv lossless codec [HFYU]"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32",VIDC.HFYU,,"huffyuv.dll"

That's ok for a 32-bit operating system. For a 64-bit operating system,they should be like this:

[HUF.Reg]

HKLM,"Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc",huffyuv.dll,,"Huffyuv lossless codec [HFYU]"
HKLM,"Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32",VIDC.HFYU,,"huffyuv.dll"

So the right, canonical procedure for installing the 64-bit codec would be exactly as described in the video, but copying the code files inside the %WINDIR%/System32 folder, usually the C:\Windows\System32 folder in practice. Of course, I have checked it in my laptop running Sony Movie Studio 64-bit on a Windows 10 64-bit OS.

PS: on a second thought, I believe is actually possible to install the 32-bit version of the codec on a 64-bit operating system as provided, as long as you invoke the right version of the setupapi.dll tool, ie, the one inside the %WINDIR%/SysWoW64 folder.

To do so, this command must be executed from an elevated console window:

rundll32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 the_path_to_the_huffyuv.inf_file

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM