Photo

Can you mod and make movies at the same time?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Can you mod and make movies at the same time? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Can you mod and make movies at the same time?

1. I find if I start modding for a movie I get distracted from movie making (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

2. No, it's impossible and drives me nuts. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. This is easy, I can do both fantastically well at the same time and I'm not deluding myself. (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

4. I just make movies and enjoys the mods others make (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

5. I just mod and enjoy seeing my mods used by movie makers (0 votes [0.00%])

6. I can manage both, and prefer to create and use my own mods in movies. (6 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

7. I don't mod or make movies. (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Other. (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

9. I make mods for my own amusement and never release them. (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:07 AM

I'm finding if I start modding to make content I need for a movie I lose track of the movie and get very muddled up. I seem to find it easier to make movies with no mods, or make mods by themselves.
How do other people manage?

#2 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

I see modding as just another early step of making a movie.
Although to be fair most movies I make require everything to be built, so it's just habit.
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#3 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:14 AM

I think part of the issue is that my movie making tends to be organic, so I don't know for sure what I will need in advance.

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5410 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

I can't even walk and "chew gum" at the same time. laugh.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#5 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

Modding is a necessity so that I can get the set to look as close to what my mind's eye saw when writing. Unfortunately, artistic considerations get in the way of technical ones, and I end up with ginormous sky-high poly counts, which explains why I never get as far as downscaling mods for publication.
I just spent a day building the interior of a train in Sketchup for a short scene in my next movie, and I shudder to think what that will end up in terms of vertices and faces 'n' shit... unsure.gif
"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

#6 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

I find it very easy to do and since because of the scripts that are submitted to me, I have to make a lot of unusual props for my movies. Actually I kind of like it better than making movies because it is always fun to have a challenge and be able to do something you didn't think you could do.

#7 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

I`m one who writes some of a script, gets into moviestorm and starts making characters and sets to see if it`s feasible, if there is anything I need then I get into modding and test my models on set to see how they look and generally go in and out of the two till it`s right.

It`s a bugger and slows me down in production but it works for me.

Maybe one day moviestorm will allow us to either mod within moviestorm itself, or have realtime updating as we mod so we can run both at the same time.................of course though I can only dream (maybe v2 perhaps?) ohmy.gif

#8 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

I'm much like KV.
Script first.
Then I work out what unusual effects I'll need and how to pull them off. I do crude test sets and shoot the footage and repeat until I know the effect is possible. Then I build my shooting models with nice textures etc.

I'm not so addicted to my script however, that if an idea for a cutaway scene comes to me which would help the story and NOT just be cool, then I will build that too.

Being a Moviestorm film-maker means knowing what hats to put on and WHEN to take that hat off.

Keeping the screenwriter hat when I should have my director's hat on is a mistake. So is keeping the director's hat on while I am editing. And the poor modder/set designer is always frustrated because "that really cool corner of the set didn't get used!"

C

#9 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

I find it difficult to keep everything in my head, especially as any kind of modding seems to need my entire brainspace, and often doesn't work out as I hoped and I wind up altering things in the script to fit and forget what I was doing, or why, by the time I've finally forced tab A into slot B.
It's a problem because I lose momentum and sense of character and have to almost start again, and sometimes by that point I find it hard to motivate myself because I've lost the original impulse to make the movie.
The modshop workflow just doesn't fit into my movie making.
There's this strange dichotomy between very easy adapatations, tinting things, gizmo move object, scale, all these can be done really quickly on set and don't sap momentum too much at all and actually give ideas..whereas..it honestly takes me 3 days to a week to make anything I'm happy with in the modshop, with many breaks for things going wrong.
Maybe I'm just slow, or pernickety, or over ambitious or am not good at guessing what is likely to work before I start.
Or I'm wondering if working the modshop needs a different brain state, and I find it hard to switch back.
Of course it could just be that the modshop is designed by programmers for programmers and Moviestorm is aimed at a more general audience?

#10 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

I guess I am lucky because modding is very easy for me. That is why I make so many of them and why I give them all away to other film makers. It has always been a rule in my business that if you can make it yourself, don't buy it. LOL. Of course I buy everything Moviestorm makes. But I don't buy much from Iclone anymore -- one reason, there stuff is too expensive and also because I make make it myself and make lower poly props and sets than they do. Now that I am learning to make animated characters and props, I am going to be a lot more for my own movies and for everyone else using Moviestorm. I plan to make all of Vautrin now with Moviestorm instead of using Iclone too. I really do prefer Moviestorm. Iclone looks good but it is a memory hog and runs so slow that it drives me nuts. It takes me much more time to do a scene in Iclone than the same scene in Moviestorm, because the program runs so slow and renders so slowly.

#11 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:29 PM

I'm still new to this but if I mod, it will be for specific items or clothing (if that's possible) that I need for a project. I will share them but I'm more interested in the movie and music video making aspect of this and will only be modding out of need.
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#12 steve3416

steve3416

Director

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

Hey Everybody

I had thought a lot about getting into modding in Moviestorm, however I remember how much time I wasted in iClone creating sets and tweaking the characters in photoshop and then I wondered where all the time went in making my movie. I rarely was able to get a movie completed in a decent time.

I once heard a Movistorm user say...that the majority of us Just Want to Tell a Story and that was so true for me. I've found that in using Moviestorm, I can tell my stories and proudce movies in faster time without feeling that I've rushed the project.

So for me...I write my scripts and then take whatever sets and props I currently have in Moviestorm and create my story/movie. Sometimes I have to try and be creative in using the props, sets, and gestures I have on hand to tell my story.

I do see both sides to it, but I believe it is hard to stay focused on your movie and stick with it once you start modding.
Steve

#13 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (kv @ Jan 5 2011, 06:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe one day moviestorm will allow us to either mod within moviestorm itself, or have realtime updating as we mod so we can run both at the same time.................of course though I can only dream (maybe v2 perhaps?) ohmy.gif

I launch the Modshop, and then I launch and quit the runtime continuously because it does not update dynamically. Its better to have the runtime hang occasionally on launch then to restart the Modshop over and over again (because it is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow to do that).

Oh yeah! My mods are pretty much just for myself because only very generalized mods are useful for the community at large (in my opinion unsure.gif ).

#14 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

The Mod Shop never slows down for me. Of course when you import a mod, it takes a bit for it to generate everything but then I just minimize Moviestorm and work on something else or get on the internet while I am waiting, or clean the house or cook dinner. LOL An usually when I am making an addon it will have a lot of props in it so to get them all imported takes a bit of time But once they are all imported, it never lags at all in the Modshop. But I can use other programs on my computer while Moviestorm is doing its thing. Well since you know how to make animated props, I think anything you make would be of interest to everyone.

#15 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

I think he is referring to the long loading time of modshop, it is painfully long, it makes it a real headache when going in doing your mod, coming out to test then go back in again to modify it.

#16 andy_price

andy_price

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 986 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

For tallahatchi bridge, I scripted and storyboarded, and vertially all my sets needed mass modding, which I am undertakeing. There is noway, that I could undertake the making of this movie, without modding, infact one of my sets is just 1 big mod.

So for me modding and movie makeing ar part and parcel with each other. Its just like in the real world, if you wanted to put on a play, you would have to build the stage set, and anything that wasnt ready avalible you would have to build.

forumsig.png

#17 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (andy_price @ Jan 5 2011, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So for me modding and movie makeing ar part and parcel with each other. Its just like in the real world, if you wanted to put on a play, you would have to build the stage set, and anything that wasnt ready avalible you would have to build.

I think Ed Wood might have had a word or two to say about that.smile.gif

Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#18 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE (kv @ Jan 5 2011, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he is referring to the long loading time of modshop, it is painfully long, it makes it a real headache when going in doing your mod, coming out to test then go back in again to modify it.

That is what I meant. biggrin.gif

The runtime launches pretty quickly, even if it locks up occasionally. just do a CTRL/Shift/Esc (PC) and kill the process and launch it again.

#19 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:08 AM

I leave Movietorm mod shop open even while I go back into my modding program to fix something. That is for the Milkshape animated mods I am doing because I have to do a lot of work to correct them for Moviestorm as it is tricky. And I have no problems at all running both Milkshape and Moviestorm at the same time.

#20 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Jan 5 2011, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I leave Movietorm mod shop open even while I go back into my modding program to fix something. That is for the Milkshape animated mods I am doing because I have to do a lot of work to correct them for Moviestorm as it is tricky. And I have no problems at all running both Milkshape and Moviestorm at the same time.

Ialso find that during import into Modshop, you get a preview of your model before you click finish on the wizard. Examine your preview carefully, because its really easy to click back in the wizard and load an updated model as Lucinda says. When it looks good, hit the finish on the wizard (after scaling if you need it). The actual conversion is rather slow, so it is nice to have the preview step where you can simply step the wizard back to the beginning if its not right. Just keep resaveing your model with same name when you modify it in Sketchup.