• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

I'm not a heavy or even moderate Linux user but I know some people who are. In light if Windows XP to be murdered by Microsoft in April of this year, I might fully adopt Zorin OS as its easier for windows users to make the transition and its a Free OS. Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any plans to extend MS to the Linux users? I know STEAM has certainly seen a steep enough rise in Linux use they have adapted. Rumor has it this has in turn piqued the interest of other large software companies.
Just curious if this has even been considered.

#2 ArthurVKuhrmeier

ArthurVKuhrmeier

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 492 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:08 AM

Microsoft seems to have serious problems with creating a proper OS dry.gif, from all versions only XP and 7 are accepted by users -- as far as I heard and read. Large companies like 1&1 use Linux servers -- not Windows. One may think why... Apple certainly had good reasons to build their Mac OS X on Linux. smile.gif

Steam is working on it's own Linux version called SteamOS. This will certainly be a reason for lots/some (we'll see) users to switch. Read more about it here.

There's an excellent channel on YouTube: Spatry's Cup of Linux -- Not only informative, also very funny. I enjoy watching his reviews. smile.gif

My son got a PC with Win7 for playing his beloved WoT. I think of installing Linux on the 2nd partition to give it a try. Even if Win7 is one of the best I've ever seen, it still tends to annoy me... dry.gif

Can someone share her/his experience with a Linux version?
Would someone switch to Linux if Moviestorm was available?

I find this very interesting,
Arthur smile.gif

#3 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5302 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE (ArthurVKuhrmeier @ Jan 7 2014, 5:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can someone share her/his experience with a Linux version?
Would someone switch to Linux if Moviestorm was available?

Johnny was investigating this 5 years ago but he never got very far.

I have used Windows and Linux and although I hate Microsoft's blind attempts to copy Apple these days - which has led to horrible abortions like the Win 8 interface - the underlying OS is good enough for me and I would not go back to the Linux until they improve their help systems to the same quality as Microsoft. And that will never happen as geeks have no interest in that aspect of development.
I just want to use Moviestorm and software like it without having to learn where to put the oil and which nuts to tweak to get it working under Linux.
However I know this is a religious debate and since I'm an Atheist you will never convert me wink.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#4 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

While Im not what one would call highly efficient in Linux, I have played some with a few different flavors. Hard cor Linux uses come off gung ho thinking newbies should dive in the techincal deep end of Ubuntu and a a couple of others that would drive most windows users insane (including me).., they fail to realize most (majority) of windows users want someting that you install and go and not have to fiddle with with all the tweaking and what knot. I understand thier ambition and drive and super smarts but not all people are into that.

The best systems for newbs coming off Windows even just to get their feet wet is Zorin OS, Linux Mint Cinnamon (maybe mate, but I prefer cinnamon) and PinGuy OS. Those would be the top 3 in order of ease of use. As long as I didnt experiment with settings, they all did great! But the moment I started experimenting - I got in trouble real fast!
AND technical support is not the best, but users for the most part try to be helpful. We've had a failure to communicate as they speak in terms over my head (forgetting I was/am a newb) and well. Those linux distros are awesome, if you can click with someone in the know and has time and patience for some dunce like me.

Spatry? Yeah - tell him the Daveman said hello. He knows me - LOL. Not real well, but he knows me. He is the one I favor over others for my Linux info. His latest video covers Zorin OS 8. I love the improvements made. Last version I used was Zorin OS 6.

I expect I will never fully abandon Windows, but Linux has and is improving every other day, much faster than it used to. MY GAWD! There's like 100's of different flavors of Linux and it would drive someone nuts using each and everyone. At the end of the day - my top two picks are Zorin or Linux Mint.
Im almost certain there would be a reasonable number of people on Linux who'd love Moviestorm. Would it be enough to justify porting Moviestorm to Linux? I guess one would have to run a poll.

#5 ArthurVKuhrmeier

ArthurVKuhrmeier

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 492 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, Spatry's latest review of Zorin OS 8 RC made me feel secure enough to give it a try. What can I say: "It just works." Booting from DVD it even recognized the installed WiFi. There were a few hick-ups, but if I would've read properly tongue.gif I wouldn't have had any trouble. E.g. I couldn't install any updates, and thought: "Crap!" But when I realized I was logged in as guest I thought: "My bad!" After logging in as user everything worked like charm. smile.gif Actually, good to know that guests cannot mess up your system. wink.gif

My mouse was very, very fast -- way too fast. sad.gif A quick online search brought the solution in no time. A little typing in the terminal slowed down the mouse. Now it's perfect. smile.gif

Next I needed the proper driver for the graphics card; the fan was running extremely loud all the time. Clicking options in the software update panel automatically presented me with some choices for my NVIDIA card. I selected the first one, let it install, restarted, and voilĂ ... perfect!

The shipped-in video editor looks very promising. Played around a bit, really easy to use. The software center is a great feature. Plenty of software to find what you need. I installed blender with a click. Enter password and that's it! Cool! cool.gif

I didn't do much more because it was late, and because there is one problem -- not Linux-related -- the PC is pretty loud which gets on my nerves pretty quickly.

There are some Linux version that really are grown-up OS. I installed Zorin OS 8 as 2nd OS -- that gives you more possibilities. Still, Mac OS X's usability has to be beat. I won't switch as long as Apple keeps up the good work. Saying that, I'll wait with installing Mavericks. Only half of the users were really happy with it. My father also faced some problems. Apple, that's lame. angry.gif

If you're looking for an alternative to Windows, take a look at Zorin OS 8 RC (=Release Candidate). It may not yet be the final version but it looks very good, offers lots of features, is stable, easy and fun to use.

Arthur smile.gif

#6 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Did you look at any of the existing (ancient) threads about it?
http://www.moviestor...amp;mode=linear
which was someone getting it running via Crossover.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd