Photo

Video playback on props (Sketchup and Milkshape)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

While playing around with Milkshape I found the same apparent video stretching issue seen on Sketchup imported objects.

While I am unable to narrow down where the error is occurring I have got a fix that can be applied on set.

When you load your prop in the Set Workshop, click on the User Image area and if there isn't an image on it already select Change Image. Load a new still image (jpeg, png or dds) and then press on the Up arrow to reposition the texture. You should see the screen area turn black and the top of the image become visible at the bottom. This is because the mapping coordinates have become offset by -1 on the Y axis, you need to move the image back up to fill the area correctly using the up arrow.

Go in to Directors view, load a video and it should work exactly as you'd want it to now.

The reason that still images look ok and videos do not is that stills auto tile (so you are actually seeing a copy of the image directly above the one you load) and videos do not, so you get the top line of pixels stretching to fill the space.

Mystery solved! We'll keep looking at this for a bit to see if we can automate the solution, but for now, happy image moving smile.gif

Attached Files

Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#2 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the tip, do you think this would work for sketchup models too or do you think sketchups problem is more sinister?

#3 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (kv @ Jul 12 2010, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the tip, do you think this would work for sketchup models too or do you think sketchups problem is more sinister?

No this applies to both I think
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#4 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

Excellent, I`ll give it a go as soon as I finally get my Cross 3 movie finished.....I`m so close I can taste it laugh.gif

#5 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

Wow, Chris...

I didn't even know those arrows were there, and with a quick test on one of my sketchup models, it worked!

You made me smile, today! Thanks!
(after more successful tests, if I knew how to jig, I'd be dancing one... wee!)

smile.gif

(edit... congrats on getting close to finishing another movie, KV... we'll be watching for it!)
The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!