• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5370 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:31 AM

Just a wee clip to show some of the potential of Moviestorm. The landscape is just MS primitives and trees, the bridge and loco were modelled in Milkshape3d and the latter animated in FragMo. Smoke is a built-in MS special effect.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#2 mloakley

mloakley

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:47 AM

Wow, primaveranz, that is very cool. Great work.

#3 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5370 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:58 AM

Thanks, I'm starting to really like FragMo for creating animations now ;)

#4 mloakley

mloakley

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:27 AM

Awesome :) 

#5 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

Great job, Prima! Thank you for sharing.

An incredibly detailed model (you did that in Milkshape? Holy cow!), and a very well done, smooth and complex animation. Also, the background it's mighty effective, in spite of the few resources used.

I guess both the loco and the smoke and steam fx's were placed on a navmesh moving along the bridge.

Although not necessary at all, if you're in the mood of experimenting, you might include the emission of smoke and steam as part of the model and its animations, by creating a couple of "emissive" bones to be bound to fx events.

PS: what about a soundtrack with the theme by Soul Asylum:

"Runaway train, never going back
Wrong way on a one-way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here nor there"

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#6 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5370 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

Hi Jamoram,

No, no need for a navmesh, I made the Loco "Moveable" in the modders workshop which then lets you drag it with "Smooth start and stop" or "Constant speed" in Directing mode.

Also if you place another object like the SFX on top of a moveable object they move with it. Much easier to do than the navmesh route ;)

Cheers!

#7 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 880 posts
  • Interests:Film - writing - directing - aviation - traveling - machinema - reading - acting -

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:46 AM

Really nice Prim!

There is no try, only do or do not.

Learn story telling in the MOVIESTORM education forum. 

START HERE:  http://www.moviestor...showtopic=13153

#8 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

Hi Jamoram,

No, no need for a navmesh, I made the Loco "Moveable" in the modders workshop which then lets you drag it with "Smooth start and stop" or "Constant speed" in Directing mode.

Also if you place another object like the SFX on top of a moveable object they move with it. Much easier to do than the navmesh route ;)

What I didn't know, or at least I couldn't remind for the life of mine, was that an object could be placed on top of a moveable prop other than a navmesh -or a prop with a navmesh part- to get that effect.

So, a much more convenient and clever approach. Many thanks for the hint, Prima!

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#9 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:13 PM

Here you are a model of a loco a bit less detailed than yours, demonstrating what I talked you about, ie, the possibility of making the sfx part of the model itself:

#10 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5370 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:55 PM

That is cool Jam, and can you control the emission levels while in Directing mode? I guess you can switch them on and off at least because Nahton did that with his fire extinguisher.

#11 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:01 AM

That is cool Jam, and can you control the emission levels while in Directing mode? I guess you can switch them on and off at least because Nahton did that with his fire extinguisher.

You're right: they can be switched on/off, but I think a variable emission level could be simulated by using either:

- Different events bound the same emitter bone, each one of them triggering a different sfx with a different emission intensity. For example, there are three levels in the "Pipe_Black" effect family. I guess that even a new variant might be created by editing some values in the .mps file

- A different number (say, 1 thru 3)  of identical events which add their effects. In this case, I'm not sure whether they can be bound to the same bone if enabled at the same time. If not, they could be bound to different bones in the same position.

However, there's a special prop type, Smokebar, which it's the one corresponding to the "Special Effect Smoke", which can be fully controlled in Directing mode. I'm not sure whether a Smokebar prop could be animated in addition to act as a fully controllable particle emissor. It's a very unusual object, for it has two skeletons and two meshes (although this is not especially uncommon).

#12 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

However, there's a special prop type, Smokebar, which it's the one corresponding to the "Special Effect Smoke", which can be fully controlled in Directing mode. I'm not sure whether a Smokebar prop could be animated in addition to act as a fully controllable particle emissor. It's a very unusual object, for it has two skeletons and two meshes (although this is not especially uncommon).

Theoretically, the Smokebar approach is feasible, but it poses a nasty problem that could be hard to fix or circumvent: for this type of prop the particles are emitted from the root bone, and AFAIK there's no way of changing this.

This is a clip demonstrating my first try with Lokosmoko Mk II, using the Smokebar approach. Please note that the smoke plume can be switched on and off, changed its colour, intensity and type (emissive/absortive), just like the Smoke FX.

One additional drawback of this approach: when placed on the set, the dimensions of the smoke plume needs to be set.

#13 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5370 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:11 AM

I think the built-in approach is probably best used for immobile props or ones that are e.g. hand-held and therefore required to move around erratically. For vehicles I think I'll stick with just plonking the SFX on top of the model (which also has to have the "Can be stacked on" option ticked in the MW), because it allows more flexibility at directing time..

#14 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

Agreed. It's technically possible, but not always offers an advantage compared to the simplest approach you used in your movie.