• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

This addon contains a handheld Fire Extinguisher as well as a static version to place on the set in the set dressing view. I hope to add more content to this addon at some point which is why it isn't simply called Fire Extinguisher.

The 3D model was created by Graham and downloaded from the Google Sketchup Warehouse.

Here's the link:

Firefighter Addon

The demo video can be viewed by clicking on this link: Demo

Many thanks to Ben for all his help and guidance.

EDIT (2/11/12) - Version 2 has been uploaded to Machinimods. The trajectory of the spray has been lowered to match the video demo version.

EDIT (4/5/12) - Version 3 has been uploaded to Machinimods Here are the changes:

• I added a fairly stationary longer spray animation. It just has a little wiggle in it. It sprays in bursts but I've spaced a bunch of them in the animation close together.
  • The Spray Side to Side animation also has more bursts.
  • I updated all the sound files. I only had a short burst sound before and I couldn't match the tone to make longer ones so I started from scratch and made a long one and chopped it down for the various animation lengths.

#2 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

Excellent stuff. I can see there being lots of possibilities for building on this development.
Well done Mr Nahton (and Ben of course smile.gif )
"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

#3 alonzo11208

alonzo11208

Master Director

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

Always great to see people taking the leap into held props. However I do have a few questions:

1) Any plans t make a smaller portable one?

2) Does the extinguisher only fire out in bursts?

3) More of a nitpick, but why did you use the sparkle effect, as opposed to a heavy white smoke effect?

Shadows of Fire
Shadows of Fire Encyclopedia

Creater of Shadows of Fire

#4 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 922 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

It appears I have to make another update on the aim. I had it where I wanted it and tried to extend the emitter bone and the change did not take in my demo movie.

@Alonzo - The sparkle comment has me baffled. Does the effect not look like the smoke in the demo? I've checked it on 2 different installations of Moviestorm on my PC and that has been consistent.

I'll address the other comments later.

#5 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 922 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:29 AM

This is just a quick post to let everyone know an updated version has been uploaded to Machinimods.

See the edited first post of this thread for more information.

#6 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 922 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (alonzo11208 @ Feb 10 2012, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Always great to see people taking the leap into held props. However I do have a few questions:

1) Any plans t make a smaller portable one?

2) Does the extinguisher only fire out in bursts?

3) More of a nitpick, but why did you use the sparkle effect, as opposed to a heavy white smoke effect?

1) I originally had thought about making a smaller version but this one took so long to do I don't think I'll be doing it soon. Making a smaller one is going to require creating new animations. This one is a bit of a beast, isn't it? It's industrial size but Firemen don't mess around with little piddly fire extinguishers biggrin.gif

2) Yes. This would be the first thing I'd look into if changing. I'd have to research (or just ask Ben) how to edit the file to make the effect last longer. An alternative would be to put more bursts in the animation to simulate a continuous spray and use one longer sound effect.

3) Again, I'd have to research. I'm not sure this could be done. The effect I used was from the wand. I took your use of the word "sparkle" to mean it wasn't smoke but I guess you are talking about the shininess of the smoke. I believe, all the wand effects have this quality. Technically, it's not actually smoke but chemical spray so it might help to distinguish it from fire smoke in scenes. I thought the blue tint looked effective, for this purpose. I think you are suggesting taking a smoke effect from something other then a wand and turning it to shoot sideways out of the extinguisher. I'm not sure that would work in conjunction with the sprite textures. It's a file and folder change more then anything so if you want to pursue it feel free to play with the addon. I didn't strip out the meshes to prevent tinkering with it.

#7 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:15 AM

I got a little motivated to tweak this mod a little more. I'm experimenting with adding in a slightly longer spray animation. I'm stacking the spray effects back to back and need to create a new foley sound as well. It's only going to be 3 seconds total but it's still longer then a half second burst.

#8 JKW

JKW

Film Critic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:15 AM

This is a great step forward in MS props! I have to say using the wand effect for the spray is inspired. I hope your "stacking" trick works, but even as it is, it's beyond terrific. Thanks so much for this.

#9 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (Nahton @ Feb 11 2012, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2) Yes. This would be the first thing I'd look into if changing. I'd have to research (or just ask Ben) how to edit the file to make the effect last longer. An alternative would be to put more bursts in the animation to simulate a continuous spray and use one longer sound effect.

There are both continious particle effects that you can put start and stop triggers in (such as the sparkler), and there are burst effects, that just need a single trigger (such as the wand).
The tricky bit is adapting the particle effect to something you want, I think.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#10 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 922 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Feb 16 2012, 06:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are both continious particle effects that you can put start and stop triggers in (such as the sparkler), and there are burst effects, that just need a single trigger (such as the wand).
The tricky bit is adapting the particle effect to something you want, I think.

Does this mean the wand smoke could be turned into a continuous effect? If so I expect the end result would appear the same as if you put a lot of back to back events in your animation.

#11 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (Nahton @ Feb 17 2012, 04:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does this mean the wand smoke could be turned into a continuous effect? If so I expect the end result would appear the same as if you put a lot of back to back events in your animation.

Maybe, although it might be easier to start with one of the effects that provides a continious effect, and then modify it, rather than trying to start with a burst effect.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#12 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 922 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Feb 17 2012, 05:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe, although it might be easier to start with one of the effects that provides a continious effect, and then modify it, rather than trying to start with a burst effect.

Actually, I was thinking of that type of workflow as it would be easier to drop the smoke code into a continuous effect rather then vice versa. I don't think I'm going to pursue it for the Fire Extinguisher but I'm going to keep it in mind for other projects. I've already done some animation modifications that stack the spray's tighter on the side to side and created a new longer spray. It involved matching up the sound as well and I think that could be a bit problematic in a continuous effect.

Thanks Ben

#13 rwtread01

rwtread01

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

thanks nathon could even let a woman use this to ward off an attacker or just put out a fire .again many thanks for all your free stuff keep up the good work!!!!!!!. wink.gif

#14 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3273 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

I'm wondering if I missed something as i downloaded and can't see the prop....is there something about renaming files from machinimods or have I misremembered that?

#15 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 922 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:30 AM

I have posted a newer version of this mod. See post #1 in this thread for the download link. Here are the changes:
  • I added a fairly stationary longer spray animation. It just has a little wiggle in it. It sprays in bursts but I've spaced a bunch of them in the animation close together.
  • The Spray Side to Side animation also has more bursts.
  • I updated all the sound files. I only had a short burst sound before and I couldn't match the tone to make longer ones so I started from scratch and made a long one and chopped it down for the various animation lengths.

I should clarify that this mod can only be used by the male puppet at present.

#16 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5262 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:33 AM

STUH Ning! wink.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#17 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3273 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

This is really impressive Nahton, can't imagine how much work went into getting all this to function correctly.

Are we able to retexture handhelds?

#18 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 922 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

Absolutely! I created the texture file myself and applied them to the prop in Modders Workshop as the originals did not survive my workflow from FragMo to Misfit to MS. I'm still trying to figure that out.

It was a lot of work and I pretty much immersed myself in the project. The only thing I didn't do was create the model and the particle effects. I created the bones and rigged them to the mesh, animated the prop and puppet, textured the prop, configured the particle effects (with a big assist from Ben), and even did some foley work creating the sound effects for the prop.

#19 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (Nahton @ Apr 5 2012, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have posted a newer version of this mod. See post #1 in this thread for the download link.

I can't find the fire extinguisher in the handheld props. What am I doing wrong?
C

#20 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 922 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (writerly @ Apr 6 2012, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't find the fire extinguisher in the handheld props. What am I doing wrong?
C

I'm not sure what the problem might be. I just tested mine by reinstalling the one I posted on Machinimods and it worked. I know Kate was having the same issue with the prior version and it was resolved by installing the latest one. You did see my post saying it would only work for the male puppets at present?