4 replies to this topic

#1 gtalar

gtalar

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hi,
I was wondering if it was possible to import a Sketchup model and give it animations, For example importing a car from sketchup and making it move.

Thanks
GTALAR

#2 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (gtalar @ May 9 2013, 9:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
I was wondering if it was possible to import a Sketchup model and give it animations, For example importing a car from sketchup and making it move.

Thanks
GTALAR

Yes I do that. I use Milkshape to do this. It is not difficult, however you need to be able to convert your model to an Obj file (Maya) in order to import it into Milkshape. I have Iclone 3DXchange and I can import a sketchup model into that and make sure I remove all the back faces and that all the textures are two sided and then I select it and export it as an Obj file. Works great. If you don't have 3d Xchange, I could do this for you so you could import it into Milkshape.

#3 Newanime

Newanime

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 9 2013, 4:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I do that. I use Milkshape to do this. It is not difficult, however you need to be able to convert your model to an Obj file (Maya) in order to import it into Milkshape. I have Iclone 3DXchange and I can impadvance!t a sketchup model into that and make sure I remove all the back faces and that all the textures are two sided and then I select it and export it as an Obj file. Works great. If you don't have 3d Xchange, I could do this for you so you could import it into Milkshape.

Pls can you do this for me, because i have an ambulance prop, but i cant make it move in moviestorm. I tried iclone 3dxchange, but it hangs and freeze or crash when i try exporting. Can you teach me on how i can fix this problem or can you help me animate an ambulance. thanks in advance!
Richiered

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5404 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:55 AM

You will either have to bring a model in from SketchUp 6 using the built-in Wizard. Or create the various files needed for a Cal3d fomat import.

Watch this tutorial for the Sketchup approach:- http://www.moviestor...odding/modding1.
When you import the modelmake sure the "mobile" option is selected.

And this for Cal3D using Milkshape:-

http://www.moviestor...;showtopic=8945

You will have to change the properties of the resulting Template to make sure the "Mobile" option is selected.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#5 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:19 AM

Making it move is simple enough if you don't mind the wheels not rotating. blink.gif
Or just import the Body (less wheels) and I know of a very clever modd PV_Wheels that you
can attach in the set workshop.
If you just want to get the movie out there, this is the simplest solution. cool.gif

Oh, you best ask Primaveranz for the wheels wink.gif

Here's one I prepared earlier biggrin.gif

http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=110501
I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited.
--PATRICK STEWART--