40 replies to this topic

#21 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5404 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ May 19 2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When 1.3.1 arrives, the vertex and face counts will be displayed on the Descriptor panel, as in the screenshot.

Does this help us figure out the number of "prims" or "polys" or whatever though? i.e. is there an algorithm that can calculate it from these, given that a single Sketchup "face" could consist of dozens of triangles or only one.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#22 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Jun 14 2010, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does this help us figure out the number of "prims" or "polys" or whatever though? i.e. is there an algorithm that can calculate it from these, given that a single Sketchup "face" could consist of dozens of triangles or only one.

The polycounter will tell you how many polys (triangles) there are, simple as that. It's there as a guide so you can compare one object to another really, i.e. "Base pack table is about 400 polys, Sketchup import one is about a quarter of a million. ah, ok, that could be the problem"
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#23 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

hmmm, makes me wonder if there is any plugins for sketchup that could be used to optimise models. I have made some models (for personal use) which I thought were really quite simple but found out through sketchups properties actually had a large amount of faces etc. I never thought basing a model off simple cubes etc could result in hundreds of faces. I think I am gonna hit the google search and see if I can find anything.

#24 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:50 PM

Would be glad to hear about anything useful KV

#25 ed

ed

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 373 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (kv @ Jun 14 2010, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmmm, makes me wonder if there is any plugins for sketchup that could be used to optimise models. I have made some models (for personal use) which I thought were really quite simple but found out through sketchups properties actually had a large amount of faces etc. I never thought basing a model off simple cubes etc could result in hundreds of faces. I think I am gonna hit the google search and see if I can find anything.

Chris Ollis posted some links to some great resources up in the first post of this thread. While there wasn't a link to any plug-ins or one-click fixes, there was quite a bit of "Oh, wow!" stuff for optimising Sketchup models and keeping the poly-count down.

#26 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:21 PM

Yeah I have been looking through them, very useful info there for future models, I gave up my search for a plugin, there maybe one somewhere but I just lost my patience rolleyes.gif

#27 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (kv @ Jun 14 2010, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know about plugins for Sketchup that will reduce face count, however, the Skydome tutorial that shows you how to wrap a photo around any shape really does reduce faces since your texture fills the entire prop. You can find this tutorial here:

http://sketchup.goog...amp;prevstart=0

I have been able to make houses that only have about 155 faces and that is because I make the porch and roof as separate props. One house I have that is 29,000 faces, I reduced to 155 faces by using photo realing.

#28 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (Chris Ollis @ May 18 2010, 02:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sketchup is a free or inexpensive tool that a lot of users are likely to have access to

So is Blender *hinthinthinthint* wink.gif

#29 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5404 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:42 PM

What Chris omitted in his description of SketchUp though was "and easy to use" laugh.gif

#30 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5404 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:53 PM

Its a shame as well that the SketchUp "View/Hidden Geometry" doesn't show these triangles. That would help immensely.

#31 ed

ed

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 373 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (Armanus @ Jun 14 2010, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People who want to have a go with 3DS Max could do worse than grab themselves a copy of the free version, called gMax (Windows only):

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

#32 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:25 AM

What are the differences between 3DS Max and gMax?

#33 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (ed @ Jun 14 2010, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People who want to have a go with 3DS Max could do worse than grab themselves a copy of the free version, called gMax (Windows only):

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

I think I played with that a couple of years ago. I will give it a try again. Looks interesting. Good find.

#34 EugeneE

EugeneE

Master Director

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE (Armanus @ Jun 14 2010, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What are the differences between 3DS Max and gMax?

Gmax was mainly developed for allowing people to create content for video games. So, it's missing many features that comes with 3DS Max. Gmax also was discontinued as of 2005, it's still free except that there is no official support.

#35 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:35 AM

QUOTE (Armanus @ Jun 14 2010, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure I follow? There are scripts and plugins that allow cal export from Blender already, its what Reacher uses. All the stuff is there already if you want to learn to use it.

No one in the studio is a Blender user so it would take a while for us to get up to speed and work out "official" workflows, time we really don't have right now and which could well be wasted when you guys can do just as good a job.

But the same goes for those of you who have paid for a license to use MAX commerically (using GMAX, if it is actually capable of export - I'm not sure it would be, or Student editions of MAX means you cannot charge for any of your mods - including point transaction). Tree shows how easy it is to use the cal exporters found online which have their own tutorials. As far as we're concerned all the info is out there, we don't spend time writing up Tutorials becaus A] it's £3000! why are you using an $8 Movie package when you have a £3000 suite of 3d tools?!?!?!?! and B] other people have described the process.

And we don't have the time or expertise to write our own Blender or MAX exporter or Moviestorm Blender/MAX importer. Just grab a copy of Blender, learn it and then ask Reacher about which Cal3d plugins to use.
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#36 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

I knew the lower price version of 3ds Max had a restriction on commercial use but is that only for the sale of models because I don't sell my models, I just use them in movies. I have the pro version but it is older and is not working for some reason right now. And I don't really care for Max. I know it can do a lot but it is so time consuming.

#37 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Jun 15 2010, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I knew the lower price version of 3ds Max had a restriction on commercial use but is that only for the sale of models because I don't sell my models, I just use them in movies. I have the pro version but it is older and is not working for some reason right now. And I don't really care for Max. I know it can do a lot but it is so time consuming.

Gmax was designed for modders to add assets to games like Microsoft Flight Simulator, I am unsure of it's commercial legalities. Student Max is designed to learn with, nothing more.
Chris Ollis

#38 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (Chris Ollis @ Jun 15 2010, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gmax was designed for modders to add assets to games like Microsoft Flight Simulator, I am unsure of it's commercial legalities. Student Max is designed to learn with, nothing more.

So you can't use your models in commercial movies then?

#39 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (Chris Ollis @ Jun 15 2010, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure I follow? There are scripts and plugins that allow cal export from Blender already, its what Reacher uses. All the stuff is there already if you want to learn to use it.

I know, I know, already there. Just sayin' wink.gif

#40 ed

ed

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 373 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Jun 15 2010, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you can't use your models in commercial movies then?

The education version of 3DS Max reminds users via a splash screen that it cannot be used for commercial purposes every time the application is started.

I don't know what the restrictions on Gmax are, but I doubt that commercial use would be sanctioned. As Chris has already noted, it was released to allow gamers to create content without resorting to dodgy versions of 3D modelling software. The Gmax EULA is here: http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

(if you do a bit of googling you'll see that there is quite a lot of discussion regarding the use of plug-ins to convert Gmax-created models from one format to another, and how this may or may not be allowed/disallowed by the EULA).

If you've got a licensed version of 3DS Max though, you should be alright to use that for commercial purposes.