39 replies to this topic

#1 artpen

artpen

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Movies, animation, Art

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:10 AM

Hi guys, just thought I'd tell you about my mini space series I was going to do in Muvizu, but after a long brain storm, I've decided I'm going to do it with Moviestorm and Muvizu.
Moviestorm will be used for all the internal work, ie, Drama. And Muvizu for the external ship shots because my buddy built the ship for Muvizu as an fbx file, so it's easier for me to do the ship shots straight away.
I'm now trying to build the internal sets for the ship, so I'll need to learn how to import from sketchup and texture walls and stuff.
Anyway, I hope you like.
R.A.F.T coming soonish......😊

#2 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3267 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

Sounds interesting! Hope it will be fun to do.

#3 artpen

artpen

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

Thanks kkffoo 😊

#4 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 876 posts
  • Interests:Film - writing - directing - aviation - traveling - machinema - reading - acting -

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:46 PM

So good to see you KKFFOO!!!!!

Sounds like you're going to have some fun with this... Hope to see it soonish!  :)

There is no try, only do or do not.

Learn story telling in the MOVIESTORM education forum. 

START HERE:  http://www.moviestor...showtopic=13153

#5 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

Great to see you here, Artpen ;)

Just sing out if you need any help.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#6 artpen

artpen

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

Thanks primaveranz, I might need a few mods here. Cheers mate 😁

#7 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:45 AM

You caught my curiosity. I'd love to see the outcome of  this hybridization of Moviestorm and Muvizu.

If by chance you'd like to have the spacecraft as a native Moviestorm addon, just let us know.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#8 artpen

artpen

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

Hi jamoram62, yeah thanks for the offer, I'm so used to moving things around in Muvizu for the ship and that's why I decided to use it for the ship shots.
I hope to get the you guys making stuff for the ship, control panels, knobs and whistles!
My good friend fazz68 at Muvizu did a brilliant cockpit for me from my concept drawings, but I've now decided to do the drama with Moviestorm puppets, because it'll show a serious side to a funny series I think, so I'm going to try to replicate fazz68 cockpit in moviestorm.
I'm just starting to work with moviestorm now, and I'm stuck with how to get my own textures on walls? Do I need to do it in modders workshop? Cheers guys, I'm happy to be here and I'm sure you'll enjoy my movies 😁

#9 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

I'm just starting to work with moviestorm now, and I'm stuck with how to get my own textures on walls? Do I need to do it in modders workshop?

You mean standard walls, don't you? If so, you need to include your textures in a package, in the Materials/Wall folder.

The folder hierarchy would go something like this:

\---Name_of_your_addon
    +---Data
        +---Materials
            +---Ceiling
            +---Floor
            \---Wall

In a similar fashion, if you have some textures for the ceiling or the floor, they must be placed in their respective folders.

Also, you need to create in the folder a file named Materials.materials, for declaring the available textures. I'm not sure how it can be created from inside the Modder's Workshop. What I know is it has a structure quite simple (a vector o array of material definitions), something like this:

<vector>
  <material>
    <name>The_name_in_Moviestorm</name>
    <diffuseColor>1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0</diffuseColor>
    <shininess>20.0</shininess>
    <maps>
      <entry>
        <string>diffuseMap</string>
        <string>Data/Materials/Wall/the_name_of_the_texture_file</string>
      </entry>
    </maps>
    <flags/>
    <parameters/>
  </material>

</vector>

For every texture you'd like to include, you must insert a material element, ie, the lines between <material> and </material>. Of course, you need to set the right name for each one of them. The material definition above is one of the most simple, but it can be a bit more complex if, for example, it includes a emissive layer or normal or specular textures, an alpha channel, etc.

Once everything is set, you need to launch the Modder Workshop and proceed as follows, enter your modder credentials, select and publish your addon (and optionally create the package), in order to get the assets available in Moviestorm.

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#10 artpen

artpen

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:41 PM

Thanks jamoram, I'll have a go at it.
Do you guys generally put your textures in walls with this method? Or do you simply make your sets with backdrops for walls and simply change the image for that backdrop?

#11 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

It depends, I do both, I often find the MS walls are too limited for what I need e.g. they are too short for a particular shot ( you can see the top of them) or you need them to have apertures in them at non standard locations or to have them at awkward angles in which case you can use prim backdrops and texture them or create your own props. The latter is more flexible because then you can apply Specular and Normal textures as well as just a Diffuse. 

Also MS walls have a flaw in that the external corners have a bit missing and hence no texture so you have to use prims to fill in the gap (Poulet_Noir created a specific prop for this).

So, in general for quick set ups I use MS walls for anything more detailed I use props.

HTH

#12 artpen

artpen

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:46 PM

Thanks mate, I'll take all this on board, ill probably use backdrops for a lot of the ship 😊

#13 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:46 AM

There are also a lot of MS sci-fi prop walls with doors and lights etc that you might want to consider, but then they may look too identifiably MS.

#14 artpen

artpen

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:16 AM

Hi, yeah the MS Sci fi props look really cool, I might use them sparingly throughout the ship.
I'm thinking also of building the walls in sketch up too.
The disco floor will be used in the recreation room which has a bar and stuff, so using a few MS props will be handy.
I'll need to learn how to change a characters skin texture too, mainly for an android character, so it's gonna be fun 😊

#15 artpen

artpen

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:31 AM

Oh and thanks aroundworld, hope you will enjoy the series 😊

#16 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

I'll need to learn how to change a characters skin texture too, mainly for an android character, so it's gonna be fun 😊

Changing the skin texture may be a bit involved task, depending on what you're trying to get and the modding tools available:

- If the skin texture to change is just that of the head, the way to do is by defining a new decal for the head you'll use.

- Changing the skin for the body, if you're using as basis a pre-existing costume,  basically is done by creating a new template with the material entries edited so the new textures are applied. If so and you're working on a body/costume included in the standard stock, getting the Modder's Workshop addon is a must.

#17 artpen

artpen

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the information jamoram, I've got the modders workshop and I'm busy trying it out, it's a bit fiddly but I'll keep at it 😊, basically I would love to have the android look like a fembot with its mask removed, remember the bionic man? But I don't think moviestorm puppets could get that look, so it'll have to be a silver shiny look with electrical wiring textures or something. 😁

#18 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for the information jamoram, I've got the modders workshop and I'm busy trying it out, it's a bit fiddly but I'll keep at it 😊, basically I would love to have the android look like a fembot with its mask removed, remember the bionic man? But I don't think moviestorm puppets could get that look, so it'll have to be a silver shiny look with electrical wiring textures or something. 😁

Your original idea for the droid was something like this?

lyndabot.jpg

Hm lovely retro looking!

#19 artpen

artpen

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

Yup, that's the one, I used to be so scared of those things when I was a kid, yeah, a good ol mask beats cg effects any day!

#20 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

WIP - just toying with the idea...

(Image deleted for recovering available space. See below)