• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 headrushindi

headrushindi

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:25 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion for the following situation....I am creating a quick christmas music video (comedy) I dont want to spend a ton of time on it ,but I want it to be good..what I am trying to do is find a way to create this particular effect in the moviestorm program itself with out having to export the footage into after effects.

heres what I am trying to do ..

I have a character with his  arm extended palm up ( one of the gestures frozen in position)  what I want to do is  place a large christmas ornament (glass  ball) in his hand  or some other similar ball shaped christmas tree ornament ..

What I can do ..is export the footage to after effects , motion track the charater, and add the 3d glass ball to his hand...

but if anyone  has, or knows where I can get some moviestorm prop ornamnts ro something similar that are already set up  to be handled by moviestorm characters..or any other suggestions ..I wanted to make sure I am covering all my bases before  I carry on and settle on a way to do it 

thanks

Head Rush Independent Films

#2 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:06 AM

Does anyone have a suggestion for the following situation....I am creating a quick christmas music video (comedy) I dont want to spend a ton of time on it ,but I want it to be good..what I am trying to do is find a way to create this particular effect in the moviestorm program itself with out having to export the footage into after effects.

heres what I am trying to do ..

I have a character with his  arm extended palm up ( one of the gestures frozen in position)  what I want to do is  place a large christmas ornament (glass  ball) in his hand  or some other similar ball shaped christmas tree ornament ..

What I can do ..is export the footage to after effects , motion track the charater, and add the 3d glass ball to his hand...

but if anyone  has, or knows where I can get some moviestorm prop ornamnts ro something similar that are already set up  to be handled by moviestorm characters..or any other suggestions ..I wanted to make sure I am covering all my bases before  I carry on and settle on a way to do it 

thanks

If the ball is going to be static, you could use "false perspectice to make it look like the large ornament is in his hands. 

Make the puppet extend his hand. place the ornament closer to the camera,myet make the puppet look at his hand. 

Let me know if you don't understand false perspecective...

#3 headrushindi

headrushindi

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:19 AM

appreciate the response ..I use false and FORCED perspective  when I  am involved in live filming all the time ..However this ball needs to move with the character in x-y-z- space...Im thinking I will just  try this using after effects 

#4 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:24 AM

appreciate the response ..I use false and FORCED perspective  when I  am involved in live filming all the time ..However this ball needs to move with the character in x-y-z- space...Im thinking I will just  try this using after effects 

Gotcha. It takes A LOT OF PATIENCE. I due  rotorscoping with Sony Vegas. Maybe after effects is easier. But it takes time. I wish moviestorm would allow an x,y,z and angle position for the cameras for inputting and for reading camera position in a standard format that could be read in other software programs. 

#5 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5259 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:29 AM

You could try having the actor point at a hidden primitive object e.g.a sphere and then placing the other prop on top of the hand. See the attached pic.

I have left the dummy sphere visible - but you would hide it. Then placed it in a position which forces the arm to bend correctly and then placed the star apparently in the actors hand.

If you can't find a way to hide the pointing finger, try creating a Christmas decoration in Sketchup which is hanging from a string and hang it from the finger.

Attached Files

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#6 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5259 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:54 AM

Actually a prim is no use as they aren't mobile. You need to find a prop that has been set to mobile and hide it instead, then move that prim to get the arm to move to the correct positions relative to the puppets movement. Or you find an existing hand-held prop and just replace the mesh.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#7 headrushindi

headrushindi

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

thats not a bad idea I never thought about actually replacing the mesh or altering a current  hand held prop

I might try that as an experiment ..thanks for the replies