• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#21 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

Yes, the install directory in the Program Files still says 1.3.
But I have the new content.

Did you restart MS?

#22 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Aug 12 2010, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It didn't install a Moviestorm 1.4 directory at all. I opened Moviestorm 1.3 and it downloaded everything and said it installed it but nothing is different.

I didn't install it right so I placed the new boot_win properties file in the boot directory in Moviestorm, not in Windows and now it is downloading and installing the program.

#23 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

Yes, you have to put the boot-win.properties file into the boot folder of MS smile.gif

Glad it's working now - you're going to be amazed biggrin.gif

#24 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 921 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

Great stuff! :-)
Enjoying the lighting changes and head's extra layers.

---
I only have the base and core addons installed on this pre-release MS, the law&order icons for 'head gear' were the only ones like this:

and just a tiny thing LOL loosing the last character within description when publishing:

---
IS that reflection on the floor a hint to the future for Moviestorm???

#25 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 648 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:55 PM

So far everything works good after the initial problems with installation.

When I went into the changing room though, I noticed all my selections for wardrobe 01 and 02 have icons that show what they are but when I click on them, they are invisible on the character. Only the character head is visible. All other costumes seem to work fine except wardrobe 01 and 02.
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#26 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 648 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Aug 12 2010, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't install it right so I placed the new boot_win properties file in the boot directory in Moviestorm, not in Windows and now it is downloading and installing the program.

You did back up everything right? I made a new folder called Moviestorm-1.4, copied everything into it and used that one for the update.
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#27 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Harb40 @ Aug 12 2010, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So far everything works good after the initial problems with installation.

When I went into the changing room though, I noticed all my selections for wardrobe 01 and 02 have icons that show what they are but when I click on them, they are invisible on the character. Only the character head is visible. All other costumes seem to work fine except wardrobe 01 and 02.

Wardrobe 01 and 02 are working fine for me.
Have you checked that they are enabled in the Settings?

#28 peet

peet

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (johnnie @ Aug 12 2010, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you've downloaded the early access release of Moviestorm 1.4, we want to hear your comments. Praise and criticism are equally welcome here - we want to know what you liked and what you didn't like. You should also use this thread to report any bugs you encounter.

If you'd like to try Moviestorm version 1.4 before its official release, click here for details of the Early Access build.

iMac 2.66ghz 4gb Snow Leopard. 1.4 no longer crashes as 1.3 did while scrolling through characters or objects.

But..... in the "Dressing Room View" "Head View" there are only 6 sliders (nose, ears, jaw, cheekbones, cheeks and eyebrows) the same variations as in 1.3. There are no makeup, eye size, lips, skin tones, freckles, etc. The beard links say "broken", although they work without being able to see the icons. Besides the beard option button, there are no other buttons in the male view. In the female view there are no option buttons whatsoever to choose from.

After reading other posts it sounds as if there are quite a few things missing.

Could someone post a shot of what the "head view" should look like for both male and female. Mine doesn't look like the one posted on Moviestorm's Facebook Wall Photos..

The "Key Bindings" don't work when reassigned with the exception of "goto end" and goto start" and "quit".

#29 zuckerman

zuckerman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 426 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

You guys totally outdid yourselves with this update. This is truly the kind of thing many of us have been waiting for. I'm so happy I could cry. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Things I love:

1) New Lighting System
2) Face Morpher ( I made a fat face sumo dude and I just stared at him for an hour)
3) Skins
4) Seamless Necks!!!
5) Dressing Room (Feels like the Sims)
6) All in all everything just feels and looks better.

Issues So Far:

1) New Lighting System

While I truly love the new system I'm not sure I understand the concept. In traditional 3-point lighting you have the Key Light, which is generally pretending to be the main source of light -- Sun, a lamp, a shining magical green crystal --, then the Fill Light, which balances out the Key and fills in shadowy areas, and finally, the Back Light which is used to highlight and separate the subject from the background.

This new system is called tri-light but there are four lights. Can you explain the function of each light since you've compared it to a traditional 3-point lighting system? I'm sure it's very simple and I'm just an idiot.

2) Shadows -- I'm not getting any.

EDIT: OK, I see that there are indeed only 3 lights and that the Shadow "light" is simply to color the shadows. And.. I just saw that my shadows we're turned off in settings and so I am in fact an idiot. I guess then that

Front = Key Light
Rim = Fill Light
Rear = Back Light

Yes?

#30 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (peet @ Aug 12 2010, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could someone post a shot of what the "head view" should look like for both male and female. Mine doesn't look like the one posted on Moviestorm's Facebook Wall Photos..

On Windows the head view looks like this:
Attached File  headview.jpg   63.34KB   11 downloads

Note that there are arrows at the left and right edge that can be clicked, too.

#31 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

OK, played with the dressing room and making new characters, and I absolutely LOVE it! Very versatile and lots of great features! I like how the characters turn for you, and even the extra touches like checking themselves out when choosing a new outfit is very cool (very sims-ish too, but I mean that in a good way).

The new lighting system is a bit complicated but very functional. Just playing with it a bit I got some very interesting lighting. I look forward to playing with it more.

I do have a bug I found with the new heads (at least two that I created). It seems on the two characters the left eye comes out past the lids in the corners, and bulges more extremely when the eye blinks. The girl only had the eye issue when the animation was playing (the guy was caressing her face). His eye was like it the entire time, and his left eye was smaller the whole time too (or his right was bigger, however you want to look at it). Her eyes were symmetrical the whole time (except when the bug occured).

Here are some screenshots:

I didn't notice this issue with either character in the dressing room. Unfortunately, I didn't save this or the characters so I can't tell you any specifics as to facial morphs, but since it happened to some degree with both (and they had different morphs) I'm thinking it might be an overall issue?

Other then this stuff, everything looks great (and runs quicker)! Off to play some more!

#32 alteregotrip

alteregotrip

Master Director

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

I only got a few short minutes to play around after I installed it, but I take note of the multi choice make up, as well as the lighting options (to see the make up in various lighting which one does IRL) and the choice of lighting.. its like getting a chance to paint with light and colour.

I very much like the way you can re-size the eyebrows and other features as well.. but I haven't done anything but the brows and colours and such before I was called away..
I haven't done much else and I am going to have to hang with my son all of tomorrow so I probably won't get back to this until a few days later.

I take note that I have no issues so far with it and I have Windows 7. I guess I installed it correctly.

I am really impressed with the way the colours look so far and the variation.. I can not wait to try some of the other nifty things with the packs that I need to update. I hope that I also get my mouth animations to start working.. and I am really curious about the eyes and eye movements... And if anyone wishes to tell me what the eye movements are like, it would be cool.

I wonder how the rendering is going to look with things!!??

Oh well, I thought I'd give my semi-painterly chaotic and quickly off the top of my head feed back.. and just leave it at that.

Nice works Moviestorm!
"move along, nothing to see here; these are not the droids you are looking for..."

#33 peet

peet

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (mystery_egypt @ Aug 12 2010, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On Windows the head view looks like this:
Attached File  headview.jpg   63.34KB   11 downloads

Note that there are arrows at the left and right edge that can be clicked, too.

Thanx...

Mine look like this

Attached Files

#34 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

Wow Armanus, pretty creepy stuff blink.gif

Question:
Is it correct that the intensities of the different lights can't be set independently as before?
Or did I miss something? The light feature is what gives me most challenge at the moment.

@peet
Yes, it appears that you're missing the new features of MS 1.4.

Can you check that when you start MS, on the screen where you have access to the Settings, if it says:
Version: Moviestorm 1.4 release 25180, 11 August 2010
on the bottom right?

#35 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

I'm absolutely giddy! Love how all the skins are tintable, and being able to adjust the position for decals is brilliant!

#36 peet

peet

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (mystery_egypt @ Aug 12 2010, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow Armanus, pretty creepy stuff blink.gif

Question:
Is it correct that the intensities of the different lights can't be set independently as before?
Or did I miss something? The light feature is what gives me most challenge at the moment.

@peet
Yes, it appears that you're missing the new features of MS 1.4.

Can you check that when you start MS, on the screen where you have access to the Settings, if it says:
Version: Moviestorm 1.4 release 25180, 11 August 2010
on the bottom right?

It's 1.4 release 25180, 11 August 2010.

#37 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:12 PM

Peet, one more thing to check for you:

If you click on the arrows part on the left edge, what comes up?

For me it looks like this:
Attached File  headview2.jpg   57.72KB   12 downloads

The old heads are still on the list, so maybe you have one of those selected instead of the new "Universal Head".

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas, and you might need to wait until tomorrow when the MS Staff can get back to you.

#38 peet

peet

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (mystery_egypt @ Aug 12 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Peet, one more thing to check for you:

If you click on the arrows part on the left edge, what comes up?

For me it looks like this:
Attached File  headview2.jpg   57.72KB   12 downloads

The old heads are still on the list, so maybe you have one of those selected instead of the new "Universal Head".

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas, and you might need to wait until tomorrow when the MS Staff can get back to you.

Thanx......I don't have the "Universal Heads". They are not there.

#39 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:19 PM

Just beautiful and I worked on characters and a little bit in the lighting. Works perfectly. No problems. Working on creating the custom The Man from Schenectady characters now. Might take me a bit to get them to look like my Iclone ones, but I am pretty sure i can do it. I especially need the dining addon for one of the scenes in The Man because of the ability to have them eat and drink and of course my custom set works better in Moviestorm than in Iclone. There are more scenes now I am going to be able to do with Moviestorm.

#40 Cnhnet

Cnhnet

Film Critic

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:26 PM

Hello People of Moviestorm,

First of all - thank you. Thanks for all the hard work that obviously went into this new version of Moviestorm.

I just started diving into the new features and these are my comments so far:

1) What a treat to create characters with no neck seams! Good bye Yogi Bear and Boo Boo collars! The characters appear much more lifelike and professional. It's too bad that the neck seam fix did not carry over to the previous stock characters. But that's okay - we'll just make new ones based on the universal heads.

2) I really like the new skins. They appear much more realistic and detailed.

3) Thanks for including tears. These are great for those melodramatic moments (you know like the Novelas of Mexico). It would be nice if we had the option to adjust the size of the tears. The default tears are a bit too much.

4) Wow. It is so cool to have so many more character face options! THANK YOU!!!!

That's all I have so far. I hope that I have more time to get back to movie making soon. Thanks again Moviestorm. tongue.gif