7 replies to this topic

#1 cogitonz

cogitonz

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

Hi there,

Just wondering about the future of Moviestorm. It seems to be a couple of years since there was a released update. Has there been any announcements as to what is happening going forward?

cheers

#2 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 877 posts
  • Interests:Film - writing - directing - aviation - traveling - machinema - reading - acting -

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:52 PM

Welcome to the forums!

The platform is still in wide use and can still be used to great affect in telling a story! I encourage you to Dl the demo and have a look at what i s possible.

This link:  https://onedrive.liv...4032E5387E69E22

And this: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

Has just about every user mod ever built for the program minus those that come from the purchase of it. And users are still creating mods for the program.  Enjoy!

Cheers,

Steve A

There is no try, only do or do not.

Learn story telling in the MOVIESTORM education forum. 

START HERE:  http://www.moviestor...showtopic=13153

#3 cogitonz

cogitonz

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:11 PM

Thanks Steve,

But there might be a misunderstanding. I'm not new to moviestorm, been a member of the forums since 2011. Not too active on them obviously :) but I own a perpetual Moviestorm Max license. 

You're right, obviously the software can be still used to do great things, but my question remains. Is it still being developed/updated? Has there been any offical announcement regarding this?

cheers

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5259 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:10 AM

There was an official message a while back from Andrew saying that they were involved in a long-term project with others involving pre-viz and that Moviestorm would continue to be supported. But there was no mention of any further development.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#5 cogitonz

cogitonz

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:13 PM

Ok, cool. Thanks. I've just been hoping for a post in the blog to explain what's up. The last one is over a year old.

cheers

#6 Maxom7

Maxom7

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Video Making, Filming, Computer Programmer

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:52 AM

Its surprising that no update have been made for the last 2 years. The fact that Moviestorm is in great use and movies are made does not mean that the software is being developed. See what happened to Muvizu users. They (including me) were making movies and kept up in Muvizu's users board in-spite of no updates for more than 2 years. Then without any warning, all the web pages, support, and sales disappeared of the face of the earth. The fact that a software its no being developed further  is a dead give away of it demise. The amount of users and its popularity is NOT a sign that the software is going to last for a long time. Case in point: Visual Basic 6,  Multi-Media Builder, the latest: Muvizu, and many many others.

#7 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5259 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:54 AM

True words.

However there are some major differences between Muvizu and Moviestorm's situations. It is impossible to create you own character animations in the former and, due to its use of the Unreal engine it ( according to one of its ex-staff ) cannot be made open-source if no buyer is found for the company.

Moviestorm devs have said on more than one occasion that if they go bust they will open-source the code. And if you have been here for even the shortest of time you will see what people like Jamoram have been able to produce already without full access to the code e.g.http://www.moviestor...cle#entry109180

So Moviestorm, like "The Movies" software before it, has the potential to continue for years. Muvizu probably doesn't.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#8 EugeneE

EugeneE

Master Director

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:29 PM

Since primaveranz mentioned The Movies, The Movies is still being used to this day to create movies even though the software hasn't been developed or updated in years. Moviestorm is still very use-able even thought there hasn't been development in several years.

The Muvizu situation reminds me of an old program called Antics 3D which was also an animation program which was sold years ago but development was stopped in November 2008 when Antics 3D sold the program to another company.

The only animation program that I know of which is in development to this day is Iclone. Iclone is up to version 7. Iclone is much more advanced than Moviestorm and has a higher learning curve, also expensive also. Iclone 7 costs $199.00 for the pro version and $299.99 for the bundle that comes with Iclone 7 and 3dxchange. Prices are at 

https://www.reallusi...t.html?l=1&p=ic

Edited by EugeneE, 09 July 2017 - 11:29 PM.