• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trevor

trevor

Moviegoer

• Pioneers
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:14 PM

I would like the oppertunity to create models of people dancing and make them look as if they are dancing in synch with whatever background music I chose. So if I placed a piece of music in their performed by Elvis, the models would dance rock and roll in synch with it.
Is there any chance the developers could look at synching the moves to music. Their used to be a progamme out there that allowed one to create that type of scene but the company went bust.

Kind Regards

#2 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:34 PM

This would be an excellent feature. Think of all the bands and artists out there who could use it to make their own crazy music videos. The technology has already been developed, long ago, called 'beat detection'. In fact, I downloaded a plug-in for Winamp that had a beat-detecting dancing bear that you could spin you POV around in 3d. He grooved to the beat of any song.
That would certainly set Moviestorm apart from the rest.

#3 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3280 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:03 PM

There's a beat detector facility in audacity (free program) but it doesn't seem to work well with acoustic tracks...has anyone else had more success with it?
This would be a really useful feature to have in MS.

#4 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:22 PM

Hmmm... my niece was playing a game called 'Audition', in which online players compete with one another by controlling 3d avatars through various dance moves, being assessed by software on timing and choice of moves in order to gain points.
This could be a viable alternative to random beat detection in Moviestorm... if you could assign different moves to different keys (at least, for the duration of the 'recording') play back the song and use the keys to trigger moves in realtime, even if one has to view in wireframe while recording, it would be superb. The keypresses would be, obviously, recorded as keyframes within the scene's timeline.
Of course, one needs the dance moves.... which makes me wonder... how to mod animations in Moviestorm...?

#5 DavidB

DavidB

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:57 PM

(trevor)
I would like the oppertunity to create models of people dancing and make them look as if they are dancing in synch with whatever background music I chose. Is there any chance the developers could look at synching the moves to music.

We have a design for a music and action editor. That is the first step. The issues go way deeper than simply sync'ing the animations. It required "on the beat" edits, animation triggers, fraction of a second camera cuts, full foley editing, sync'd lighting and lip-sync to "non speach sounds" to be truely effective. That's a tall order.

We have looked at dance games, Audacity, various music analysers, dancing robots and some of the "improvisor" code in various games for inspiration, but have not made a working demo internally yet. For those that saw the "oddworld dancer" that shipped with a version of Windows Media Player, we looked at that dancing too. A good internal model would be the second step.

We do have two engineers who want to solve this, but they are real busy right now on some of the other things that have been asked for.

All we can say is "come back and ask when we get to "Release 1.0" and we'll reassess what can be done as a "special project".

Some edit support in Release 1.0 should help as well.

(I'd like it too, if that helps)
David J W Bailey ACA MA MSc GIBiol MInstD

blog.david.bailey.net www.twitter.com/davidjwbailey www.flickr.com/people/davidjwbailey