• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:11 PM

Its been a long long while since i tinkered with MS, but now I'm back at it, on  a different computer with more memory and yet the MS memory monitor thingy is showing I aint got squat. Even a simple 1 character scenes can top it out in no time. 

Using 390 MB of an avialable 494 MB Memory Heap? Other projects eat up more and crashes. That memory overload hard to believe since I have 8 GBs system ram - and dedicated 1GB graphics card. Any help would be appreciated. Thank ya lots.

My home build system details: (Windows 7 64 bit)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A785-M

CPU: AMD Athalon II (dual core) 250mhz
Memory: DDR2 8292 MB (8GBs)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6570 (Memory 1024 MB)

#2 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

Its been a long long while since i tinkered with MS, but now I'm back at it, on  a different computer with more memory and yet the MS memory monitor thingy is showing I aint got squat. Even a simple 1 character scenes can top it out in no time. 

Using 390 MB of an avialable 494 MB Memory Heap? Other projects eat up more and crashes. That memory overload hard to believe since I have 8 GBs system ram - and dedicated 1GB graphics card. Any help would be appreciated. Thank ya lots.

My home build system details: (Windows 7 64 bit)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A785-M

CPU: AMD Athalon II (dual core) 250mhz
Memory: DDR2 8292 MB (8GBs)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6570 (Memory 1024 MB)

Hi, Daveman.

Your system RAM is irrelevant as far as it's larger than a minimum value, say 4 GB for a 32bit system.  Moviestorm is a Java application so it will run on a JVM (Java Virtual Machine) on a 32bit JRE, so the memory available for its process will be limited by the maximum memory assigned to the JVM. The only way to increase the memory for the MS process is via the -Xmx argument in the command line when launching the program.

There is a configuration file in the Moviestorm installation folder (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Moviestorm if you're running on a Windows-based machine), named Moviestorm.l4j.ini

It's a text file which reads like this:

-Xmx512M

This instructs to reserve 512MB for the user process. You may try to increase this value within certain range of values.

According to the community experience a value of 768M renders the optimum performance, though there are some fellows that report good results with 1024M. Larger values are not advisable since they result in stability issues.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#3 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:00 AM

Hi, Daveman.

Your system RAM is irrelevant as far as it's larger than a minimum value, say 4 GB for a 32bit system.  Moviestorm is a Java application so it will run on a JVM (Java Virtual Machine) on a 32bit JRE, so the memory available for its process will be limited by the maximum memory assigned to the JVM. The only way to increase the memory for the MS process is via the -Xmx argument in the command line when launching the program.

There is a configuration file in the Moviestorm installation folder (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Moviestorm if you're running on a Windows-based machine), named Moviestorm.l4j.ini

It's a text file which reads like this:

-Xmx512M

This instructs to reserve 512MB for the user process. You may try to increase this value within certain range of values.

According to the community experience a value of 768M renders the optimum performance, though there are some fellows that report good results with 1024M. Larger values are not advisable since they result in stability issues.

----------------------------------------

Thanks for the help. Just one teensy problemo - I opened the Moviestorm.l4j.ini file in Notepad, changed
-Xmx512M to -Xmx768 but when I go to save the file I get a pop-up that says "Access Denied". In my old Windows XP I could edit files, but never had to on my Windows 7 till now. Is there another method to edit that file?

#4 ojiell

ojiell

Novice director

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:54 AM

I'm having memory issues as well. It seems the addons and mods I bought years ago don't load in the software now for some reason.

#5 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the help. Just one teensy problemo - I opened the Moviestorm.l4j.ini file in Notepad, changed
-Xmx512M to -Xmx768 but when I go to save the file I get a pop-up that says "Access Denied". In my old Windows XP I could edit files, but never had to on my Windows 7 till now. Is there another method to edit that file?

That's because of the UAC (User Access Control) in Windows Vista and more recent systems.

Proceed as follows:

- Copy the file Moviestorm.l4j.ini into any other folder you have access to.

- Edit the file copied.

- Now copy the edited file back into the original location (ie, C:\Program Files (x86)\Moviestorm). A dialog will pop up asking for Administrator permissions for the copy operation to be performed. Just confirm. Possibly another dialog will ask for confirmation to overwrite an existing file.

It would be a good idea to make a copy of the original file, just in case...

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#6 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:08 PM

That's because of the UAC (User Access Control) in Windows Vista and more recent systems.

Proceed as follows:

- Copy the file Moviestorm.l4j.ini into any other folder you have access to.

- Edit the file copied.

- Now copy the edited file back into the original location (ie, C:\Program Files (x86)\Moviestorm). A dialog will pop up asking for Administrator permissions for the copy operation to be performed. Just confirm. Possibly another dialog will ask for confirmation to overwrite an existing file.

It would be a good idea to make a copy of the original file, just in case...

Houston! The seagull has landed! So far my test looks great! The memory usage activity bars are now where I'd expect them to be. Now I can tinker to my heart's desire. I backed up the file should it start crashing, but the 1st test worked great. Thank you so much for your help! You're very much appreciated.

#7 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:04 PM

Houston! The seagull has landed! So far my test looks great! The memory usage activity bars are now where I'd expect them to be. Now I can tinker to my heart's desire. I backed up the file should it start crashing, but the 1st test worked great. Thank you so much for your help! You're very much appreciated.

My pleasure.

If you're in the right mood, you may try to test with some other values. 768 MB is the value I suggested 'cause is the one I'm actually using in my installations, but to be honest I haven't tried any larger. Probably any value between that and 1024 MB will fits the bill, though again there are reports of stability issues when approaching or exceeding the upper limit specified.

I'd really wish they came out with a 64 bit version of Moviestorm: it would be the ultimate solution for all those nasty stupid memory-related annoyances and limitations regarding the complexity and/or length of the scenes. Believe me, I'd gladly pay for such an upgrade.

#8 Daveman

Daveman

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:28 PM

I forgot to point out - should anyone else try this.., MS closed down on me the 1st time I fired it up after making the changes to Moviestorm.14j.ini
However - rather than panic - I opened it up again and it was working fine after that. So if it crashes on someone after editing that file, just take a breath and open MS up again.

#9 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

Yeah, MS dies from time to time while getting started for no apparent reason and will run the next time you launch it without a complaint.

On the other hand, if it has crashed previously for whatever cause, when launched again it will state there's another copy of the program running simultaneously. If so, just check that's not the case (you don't want two copies of MS messing with the movie we're working on), ignore the warning and proceed along the starting process.

This happens because whenever MS is launched it checks a "token" file denoting MS is already running. If MS closes properly, it deletes this file, but if it happens to crash the token file is left behind.

#10 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:47 PM

This was a most helpful thread. I tried the 1024 but MS crashed, so I did the 768 and that works. I was having these memory issues and I have DDR3 32MB of memory. Even purchased an AMD DDR3 graphics card. Thanks.  :)

#11 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

I was having these memory issues and I have DDR3 32MB of memory.

You mean 32 GB, don't you? For the life of me I can't remember when it was the last time I saw a PC running on just 32 MB RAM, but I'd say it was back in the 90s.

Anyway, that's not the problem and having 8, 16 o 128 GB RAM won't make any difference when you're to run a Java application on a 32-bit JRE (Java Runtime). The problem is that any 32-bit application is limited to a maximum of 2 GB or 4 GB address space (depending on the OS and some quite technical details), and the Java runtime detracts its very large share from this amount for itself, so much less room is actually left for the application code and data.

As for Moviestorm, experience says the optimum value to pass thru the -Xmx option (maximum heap spaces, ie, room for dynamic application data) is around the 768 - 800 MB.  Less than that, you'll quickly run into an "out of memory" error. Too much more and you'll leave too little memory  for the JRE, so it will probably crash.

#12 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

You mean 32 GB, don't you? For the life of me I can't remember when it was the last time I saw a PC running on just 32 MB RAM, but I'd say it was back in the 90s.

Anyway, that's not the problem and having 8, 16 o 128 GB RAM won't make any difference when you're to run a Java application on a 32-bit JRE (Java Runtime). The problem is that any 32-bit application is limited to a maximum of 2 GB or 4 GB address space (depending on the OS and some quite technical details), and the Java runtime detracts its very large share from this amount for itself, so much less room is actually left for the application code and data.

As for Moviestorm, experience says the optimum value to pass thru the -Xmx option (maximum heap spaces, ie, room for dynamic application data) is around the 768 - 800 MB.  Less than that, you'll quickly run into an "out of memory" error. Too much more and you'll leave too little memory  for the JRE, so it will probably crash.

LOL, yes I meant 32GB, and my system is 64bit even tho the Java is 32bit. Win 10. So far I haven't had as bad a problem changing it to 768, actually it is much better. No crashes yet. lol (fingers crossed) it keeps up. :)

#13 EugeneE

EugeneE

Master Director

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:03 AM

The memory issue on Moviestorm is why many directors film one scene first, render it into a video and then once all scenes are filmed separately and rendered, they piece all the renders together using video editors.

#14 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:40 AM

Thanks, Eugene. I've learned that. Appreciate the info. :)