Photo

What's the best driving gesture to use ....

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:53 PM

to make them look like they are holding the steering wheel, whether one or both hands (if any)? Thanks. I couldn't find urbanlamb's driving animations. 

#2 TheBroomOfDoom

TheBroomOfDoom

Director

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

https://www.sugarsyn...191_4_633741740

It's by Lucinda. But I think it was based on Urbanlamb's.

Free Addons: https://www.mediafir...7w6p/Moviesotrm

Is 11 too young for Moviestorm? Yes, it's against the rules. Shhhhh!!!!

Addon Vault: https://www.mediafir...506d0b547668a28

#3 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:12 PM

Squirrelygirl had a couple of addon including driving gestures and animations, both for female and male characters. AFAIK, they were the best out there.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5262 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:33 PM

You might be able to fake it too, by placing two small invisible props close to the actor and getting them to point to each one with the appropriate hand. I have used this a lot for other movements. The hard part always is hiding the pointing index finger ;)

Hint Jamoram, please make a "pointing" gesture that doesn't extend the index finger. (Similar to the Muvizu "Object" animation).

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#5 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:34 PM

Thanks BoD, I did get the LL Cars but no drving gestires (urbanlamb)  As Lucinda had used the urbanlamb gestures for motorcycle driving as well.

Thanks, jamoram, hopefully someday she'll get her store back online. She has a lot of great stuff too.

#6 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:39 PM

You might be able to fake it too, by placing two small invisible props close to the actor and getting them to point to each one with the appropriate hand. I have used this a lot for other movements. The hard part always is hiding the pointing index finger ;)

Hint Jamoram, please make a "pointing" gesture that doesn't extend the index finger. (Similar to the Muvizu "Object" animation).

I will try that, thanks!

#7 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:56 PM

hee hee, I placed BroomOfDoom's hotdog on the hood, moved it up a little, so her hand is right on the steering wheel. That's the right hand so far. LOL And getting the right angles, yeah, you can hide that pointer.  :mellow: Very cool, thanks again.

#8 TheBroomOfDoom

TheBroomOfDoom

Director

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:57 PM

Haha! :) Glad to see my hotdog is useful!

Free Addons: https://www.mediafir...7w6p/Moviesotrm

Is 11 too young for Moviestorm? Yes, it's against the rules. Shhhhh!!!!

Addon Vault: https://www.mediafir...506d0b547668a28

#9 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:21 PM

LOL - yes, it was handy.  :D

#10 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:51 PM

"a "pointing" gesture that doesn't extend the index finger" Fist bump perhaps LOL but able to lift up like it's pointing --- ha!

#11 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:49 AM

Actually, this is a recurrent subject. A few months ago, I reaserched the issue and I concluded that feature, the 'point at' animation, just like the 'look at' one, are driven and executed by hardwired features, hidden well deep inside the code of the animation engine of Moviestorm. Too bad, the main and real interesting classes of Moviestorm are deployed as part of a DRM-protected library (lib/Moviestor.sjar) which is decrypted on the fly as part of the application launching process.

I may very well be wrong, but I'm afraid there's nothing that can be done, I mean, apart from the developing team in Moviestorm.

The only thing I can promise is that, if the day ever comes that Moviestorm code is released to the community, one of the first thing I'll try to get done is giving the user the possibility of choosing between a few hand gesture gestures. I do also hate to the bone that conspicuosly extended finger.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#12 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 922 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:57 PM

I wish I'd read this more carefully before I went searching for an old addon I created but never released. I see now you were looking for a female driving animation.It appears I lost my original Male driving addon in a hard drive crash but I found the Fragmo animation file and repacked it into an new addon (attached to this post). There is some arm distortion on the short sleeve characters. I seated the character onto a chair and made it invisible and then put it on top of a car and lined up the hands using the gizmo.  There isn't really any animation other than simulating holding the steering wheel. 

There's a brief glimpse of it in use at the 10:10 mark of this video: Link

Attached Files

#13 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:41 AM

I wish I'd read this more carefully before I went searching for an old addon I created but never released. I see now you were looking for a female driving animation.It appears I lost my original Male driving addon in a hard drive crash but I found the Fragmo animation file and repacked it into an new addon (attached to this post). There is some arm distortion on the short sleeve characters. I seated the character onto a chair and made it invisible and then put it on top of a car and lined up the hands using the gizmo.  There isn't really any animation other than simulating holding the steering wheel. 

There's a brief glimpse of it in use at the 10:10 mark of this video: Link

Thanks for replying, Nahton. I couldn't find any addon attached here, but did view the video. I was able to do the right arm w/ the pointing gesture.And luckily the car I used, she can sit back far enough so her hand doesn't go past the steering wheel while she's pointing.  :)

#14 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 922 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:50 AM

You are welcome mloakley. I guess I didn't follow through on attaching the file. I edited the post and have attached it in case anyone ones to try it. The gesture ends up in the Gesture dropdown under Nahton>Arms.

#15 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:43 AM

Thank you, Nahton. Got the attachment. Will give it a try tomorrow. Appreciate it very much.

~Marilyn