#1 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:37 AM

Attached File  picture.jpg   80.99KB   0 downloads

Hi

I had realized after installing more addons, MS started crashing more. So I found a topic or two and did what it suggested. Unchecking the addons that I didn't use. All went well for a short after that, and then MS crashed again. So I restarted and when I went to load the movie, (see attachment) That's what I got, and was not able to save the movie at all, not even w/ backup files. It took me all day to do a minute and 17 sec clip, as MS crashed constantly .... it seemed no matter what I did. Unchecking addons or not. :(

Before I had added all the new addons, it was ok. But even disabling them, I still crashed after crash after crash. LOL I finally just moments ago, got it to render (WHEW!!!)

I did have to re-do the scene. But ugh! What a deal.  :unsure:  (doing a facepalm) 

My graphic card is AMD Radeon R7 250. 

So, that was my fun day. xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic._r66Q6BebR.png xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic._r66Q6BebR.png xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic._r66Q6BebR.png  xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.86ZlZhEa46.png

ok, not even sure the jpg attached to this message or not. -ish!-

well, I see it did attach. :)

#2 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:31 AM

Hmm, strange. It looks like the immediate reason of the failure was MS having problems reading the header and loading a PNG file, probably (and this is only an educated guess) (see below: 1) one of the files named "Terrain for Set for Scene #.png", where # is the number of the scene.

You may try to correct this by yourself. Assuming you're using the standard set for your scenes and not doing really fancy things with the terrain, proceed as follows:

1) Create a new temporary movie using the standard set. Save it and exit Moviestorm.

2) Open a Windows Explorer (or whatever file browser you're using) instance and go to the folder of the temporary movie and locate a file named Terrain for Set for Scene 1.png.

3) On another instance of Windows Explorer, go to the folder of the movie you're trying to rescue. Now it's time to make a copy of its content, just in case something goes really wrong.

Copy the Terrain for Set for Scene 1.png. from the temporary movie overwriting the file here. Should exist more than one scene, repeat the process overwriting every file named "Terrain for Set for Scene #.png", for we don't know what's the corrupted file.

4) Launch MS and try to load the movie. If everything goes fine, simply delete the temporary movie.

PS: (1) confirmed, I've been able to reproduce the problem, by intentionally corrupting the PNG header of this file:

Attached File  2017-11-30_124238.jpg   102.27KB   0 downloads

What's really funny is that if you replace the corrupted file with a zero-byte file or a text file, Moviestorm doesn't complain at all. Only when the file is completely missing or it's a corrupted PNG file, an exception is thrown.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#3 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:59 PM

Hey Jamm,

Thanks for your reply. I have used the standard terrain,  and have used this same set for other episodes. When you mentioned the png file, I took a look. And yes, the one in the folder for some reason became corrupted. So I copied that terrain file from another movie and replaced the corrupted file. And the only other file that became corrupted was the poster file. Replaced that as well from my new version I made.

Once I replaced the tarrain file, now the movie opens and is good. So another note to set aside should anything like this happen again. 

So thankful for your help and tips on MS blunders whatever they may be or however they may happen.

Thank you. :)

~M

#4 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:13 PM

Glad you sorted it out.

First time I've heard of this specific issue; probably, you saved your movie once the memory of Moviestorm running process went very badly corrupted.

Anyway, I'll take note of this for my KB.

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#5 EugeneE

EugeneE

Master Director

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:40 AM

Some Moviestorm crashes can be caused by the graphics card and updating the graphic card drivers has helped people to stop some crashes on Moviestorm. Memory issues are another thing that causes crashes. I'm not sure if your graphics card doing the crashes because I have the AMD Radeon R7 240 which is a little bit lower than your card (am trying to upgrade this card as soon as I can) and I've haven't had a lot of crashes.

#6 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:15 AM

Should crashes still happen, I'd suggest you to try to clean the cache. It's a harmless operation that has solved some apparently unrelated issues in the past.

If you're willing to give it a try, proceed as described in this post.

#7 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:06 PM

Hi Eugene

Thanks for your reply. I do have a thing that keeps my graphics drivers updated. And plenty of memory. So I think at the moment that's not the issue. BUt will keep your comments in mind.

Hi Jam,

I did try your suggestion at the link, and so far it seems to be working. I'll keep this in mind as well, should I run into MS crashing constantly. TY.

And onto the fragmo, thanks for your comment there, and I certainly will inquire should I have doubts or questions.

Appreciate the replies everyone.  :)

~Marilyn

#8 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

Hi Eugene

Thanks for your reply. I do have a thing that keeps my graphics drivers updated. And plenty of memory. So I think at the moment that's not the issue. BUt will keep your comments in mind.

Your graphics card should be more than capable for Moviestorm. And as for system memory and as long Moviestorm is a 32 bit application, 4GB should suffice, although for any 64 bit system a minimum of 8 GB is highly desirable (for 32 bit Windows, even 2GB will do). Actually Moviestorm is not too demanding about system requirements -essentially is a quite old application from a technological point of view. Now, if you're trying to keep things moving in iClone 6/7, that's a very different story.

#9 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

well, I don't think I'll be doing any iClone soon. LOL

But MS is running smoothly since doing the .cache and machinimascope.properties thing.      :D  ;)