• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:51 AM

In order to replace my 7 year old  nVidia GTX 560 1G VRAM and not expending too much in the process, I've been thoroughly searching and have found this ASUS STRIX-GTX1050TI-O4G-GAMING card. Not the best thing out there, but I think it will fill the bill for me at a reasonable and affordable price.

Now, the question is whether this card will go well together with my oldish Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard. Being a PCI-E 3.0 graphic card shouldn't be an issue, as apparently is retro-compatible with the PCI-E 2.0 slots in the motherboard. My PSU has plenty of power headroom also, so no problem should be expected there.

But I'd like to be a bit more certain that some obscure incompatibility will raise so I'll be buying a very expensive and sophisticated paperweight (in a recent past, I had serious issues when I replaced an old fried GT8800 in an older machine.) I've been asking both in Amazon and Asus, and so far have received no answer, so any hint will be much appreciated.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5262 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:31 AM

I'll bet you Rampa would know ;)

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:00 AM

Never mind: to my surprise, I've got an answer from Asus at last. According to them, there's not known compatibility issue between those components, although the not being a PCI-E 3.0 motherboard, a reduced performance must be expected.

So, taking into account that the GTX 1050 Ti by itself is not a speed demon on its own, and a it won't at its theoretical 100%, I'm a bit hesitant about upgrading the GPU, and thinking of waiting for a full upgrade of my desktop, including also CPU, motherboard and RAM :(

Thanks anyway. No doubt Mr Rampa would've known the answer for sure.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM