46 replies to this topic

#1 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:56 PM

Note: 1.1.7 instructions have changed since 1.1.6

If your computer is above the minimum spec (and you have at least 2GB of memory), you may want to increase the memory available to Moviestorm, so that it is less likely to run out of memory.

Possible symptoms of Moviestorm running out of memory:
Significant slowdown after using Moviestorm for a while, or when going to the Cutting Room.
'Error switching scene' messages when loading or changing scenes.

First, ensure your Moviestorm install is updated to 1.1.7 or later.

PC:
Find the install directory for Moviestorm (C:/Program Files/Moviestorm General Release, if you went with the default).
From that folder, open the file Moviestorm.l4j.ini in a text editor (such as Notepad).
Edit the following line:
-Xmx512M
to
-Xmx600M
Many users have used 800M as a useful maximum, but some have had problems. It is partially dependent on what other software or drivers your computer runs at the same time.

Mac:
Use Finder to find Applications/Moviestorm 1.1
Right click (or control click) the application and select 'Browse Contents', and look in the Contents folder
Open info.plist in the Properties List Editor
Expand the java tab
In the VMOptions property, find the bit that says -Xmx512M or -Xmx256M
Change the default to -Xmx600M

EDIT 23 Nov 09: Changed the recommended max (PC) to 800M instead of 1024M after further user feedback.
EDIT May 2014: Changing the recommended max to 600MB.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#2 KradProductions

KradProductions

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Jul 1 2009, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If your computer is above the minimum spec, you may want to increase the memory available to Moviestorm, so that it is less likely to run out of memory.

Significant slowdown after using Moviestorm for a while, or when going to the Cutting Room or the Dressing room.

First, ensure your Moviestorm install is updated to 1.1.6 or later.

PC:
Find the install directory for Moviestorm (C:/Program Files/Moviestorm General Release, if you went with the default).
From that folder, browse to boot, and open boot.properties in a text editor (such as Notepad).
Edit the following line (or create it if it does not exist):
heapsize=256M
or
heapsize=300M
Change the default of 256M to a larger number (we recomend that you dont increase it above 1/2 your system ram - eg 512M on a 1 gig memory, or 1024M on a 2 gig memory).

Mac:
Right click (or control click) the application and select 'Browse Contents', and look in the Contents folder
Expand the java tab
In the VMOptions property, find the bit that says -Xmx256M
Change the default of 256M (or 300M) to a larger number (we recomend that you dont increase it above 1/2 your system ram - eg 512M on a 1 gig memory, or 1024M on a 2 gig memory)

This looks to be very helpful! I'm going to give this a try later on tonight, thanks!
- Evan Ryan
kradproductions

#3 grouchobeer

grouchobeer

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:01 PM

I am on a Mac using Omni Outliner. After I change the default, then what? Omni Outliner asks me if I want to save. I cannot save to the same folder. Do I save as info.plist to the desktop and drag it into the folder? Do I delete the original info.plist? Please advise.
NOW PLAYING: SUGAR BABES, Episode 7: "The Old-Fashioned Way Is Still Best"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102176

#4 Xolotl

Xolotl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 429 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:10 PM

Ahhh... Sweet edits!
ThX, Ben!

#5 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (grouchobeer @ Jul 1 2009, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am on a Mac using Omni Outliner. After I change the default, then what? Omni Outliner asks me if I want to save. I cannot save to the same folder. Do I save as info.plist to the desktop and drag it into the folder? Do I delete the original info.plist? Please advise.

You should be saving the edited info.plist to the same location. If this involves saving it somewhere else then moving it back, that should work.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#6 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 921 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Jul 1 2009, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If your computer is above the minimum spec, you may want to increase the memory available to Moviestorm, so that it is less likely to run out of memory.

Significant slowdown after using Moviestorm for a while, or when going to the Cutting Room or the Dressing room.

PC:
From that folder, browse to boot, and open boot.properties in a text editor (such as Notepad).
heapsize=256M
or
heapsize=300M
Change the default of 256M to a larger number (we recomend that you dont increase it above 1/2 your system ram - eg 512M on a 1 gig memory, or 1024M on a 2 gig memory).

Mac:
Expand the java tab
Change the default of 256M (or 300M) to a larger number (we recomend that you dont increase it above 1/2 your system ram - eg 512M on a 1 gig memory, or 1024M on a 2 gig memory)

Ahh, thanks.

on A visa 32bit (Nvida 8600m GT) 4 Gig ram heapsize=1024M maybe working well. (Using heapsize=2048 MS dosn't start)
I'm looking at a "movie" that almost froze (lag of 1 frame per 5seconds lag) in 115, but within 116 and your heapsize it's at a "workable" level (I can spin the set around without it freezing ).
I did crash MS when I was deleting a "speaker" but i think that is another matter with speakers -- (for another forum post) and nothing to do with the heapsize i'm guessing :-)

So; much appreciated Ben :-)

#7 act3scene24

act3scene24

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 857 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:37 AM

This is working wonders on my Mac. I can finally use MS and go through the different menus and not worry about it slowing to a crawl and crashing or getting an error.

Although, I've tested it out just once, I have switched between character creator three times. Created two new ones, went to the director's screen, to the camera, back to the character creator and back to the director's view. No slow down at all right now.

#8 grouchobeer

grouchobeer

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 322 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Jul 1 2009, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should be saving the edited info.plist to the same location. If this involves saving it somewhere else then moving it back, that should work.

Thanks!

#9 grouchobeer

grouchobeer

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 322 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:09 PM

Will deleting movies from MS make any difference in the speed that the program runs, or will it not matter?

#10 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:12 PM

Thanks Ben, I did this and it works. Haven't done anything yet but get into my movie but the movie opens and everything seems fine.

I spoke too soon. I had put the file in the wrong version of Moviestorm and when I put it in the version I am actually using, all it did was reinstall the base and the core so it didn't work for me.

#11 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:01 PM

Thanks, Ben...

I haven't really had much in the way of troubles... occasionally there had been an instance where I've suddenly had a slow-down with lots of disk access- I'm not sure what's caused it, but I'll see if it happens after implementing your little suggestion. (I had always "fixed" it by saving/restarting MS.)
The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#12 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

This worked nicely for me biggrin.gif

#13 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1134 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:29 PM

And me! smoooth as silk...

PN
"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Hosting for the Urban Decay Pack thanks to Ichikaiden ... Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#14 johnnyquest

johnnyquest

Film Critic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

I'm having a bit of trouble with this. I too am using a Mac (IMac with 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo / 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM) (OSX 10.4.11)

I have edited the plist file with Omni Outliner but it won't let me save the file as a plist file. When I change the extension manually it turns the file into a folder instead. Either way when I replaced the file in Moviestorm the application will no longer open.

Thanks in advance for your help!
John

**Fixed it but it required a reinstall. Tip for Mac users -- download and install Plist Editor Pro before trying this!

#15 peet

peet

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Jul 1 2009, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PC:
heapsize=256M
or
heapsize=300M

Mac:
Expand the java tab

WARNING (edit): On a 32 bit operating system (such as most versions of windows) it is probably a good idea not use use more than 1024M for heap space; there are other types of memory that are used by windows that need to fit in the 4G address space - the operating system, the disc swap space, the graphics memory and possibly other stuff. I'm not totally clear on the details, but we have had reports of Moviestorm totally failing to run with 1400M assigned, and causing crashes due to running out of swap space with 1350M (all on a system with 4G mem).

#16 peet

peet

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:22 PM

I downloaded plistedit pro for my iMac 24" 2.66 GHz / 4GB RAM -- Excellent ...Thanx........After allocating 2 gigs to Moviestorm, my mac switches between the different views almost instanly. Everything happens faster. Great ! Makes creating mucho easier.

I'm new to video end-have mostly worked on scores and audio.

I've been having problems running out of cpu while working with Symphonic Choirs and Word Builder in Logic Pro Studio. I'll try this with that and report back.

#17 Stormscape

Stormscape

Master Director

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:59 PM

I'm running a 64-bit system with Windows XP x64, and 8 Gigs of ram. I found that for some reason, moviestorm will not open with more than 1024M allocated memory. huh.gif

#18 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

Amazing, I just did this. It was easy and you would not believe how well the program is running. I can now go back and forth from the set to director to the star maker and add lots of puppets and the program is not slowing up at all. This is really something as I had terrible problems especially with the large elaborate sets I do, being able to run the program at all.

Now if only I could do the custom characters I need to do for the kind of movies I am contracted to do right now.

#19 julian_gold

julian_gold

Critically acclaimed

• Staff
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:17 AM

XP 32-bit users: adjusting Windows' use of system / application memory.

If you have 4GB RAM, there is an adjustment you can make to XP that forces Windows to commit only 1GB to system resources (it's usually 2GB) and use the remainder for applications. This might help if you are having memory issues.

Caveat: not all applications and drivers are happy with this setting, YMMV, and my suggestion is to try it out to see if it works.

To activate this, do the following:

1. Click the Start button, and right-click on "My Computer". Select "Properties" from the menu.
2. Select the "Advanced" tab.
3. In the "Startup and Recovery" pane, click the "Settings" button.
4. In the new dialog, in the "System startup" pane, click the "Edit" button.
5. You will see a line that looks like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Your choice is now whether to have a multi-boot option - one with the 3GB switch, and one without. If you go this route you'll have to select which one you want when the PC boots. Alternatively you can just edit the line - but if it goes wrong you'll need to use Safe Mode to restore settings. So either edit to or add the following line (adjust dependent on your settings):

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (3GB)" /3GB /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

If you go the 2-option route, putting this line above the existing one will make it the default boot, and it will be selected automatically after about 25s if you do nothing. This may or may not be a good option for you! Alternatively, put it second (but then you'll always have to select it at boot time, so if you like switching on, making tea, and coming back to a work-ready machine, this may not be for you).

6. Once you've made the edits, save ("File/Save"), quit, and reboot your machine. See what happens.

Just once more for clarity: this only works for 32-bit Windows XP when you have the maximum 4GB RAM.
If I have seen further it is because I have stood on the shoulders of the giant pile of corpses of the myopic masses.

#20 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:59 PM

Please note, this works differently for 1.1.7. See the instructions at the top of this thread for what you need to change now.
The Moviestorm Team