SCREEN WRITING CLASS - MOD 2

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:Film - writing - directing - aviation - traveling - machinema - reading - acting -

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Aug 30 2012, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Due to not having a clue falling back on wild guesswork.

All scenes travel forwards in time with no skipping or flashbacks.
All are scenes which occur early on in a story.
All scenes introduce characters.
All scenes happen in domestic environments.
All scenes happen in 'the present day'.

You are so close! tongue.gif

There is no try, only do or do not.

Learn story telling in the MOVIESTORM education forum. 

START HERE:  http://www.moviestor...showtopic=13153

#42 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1903 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

Okay, I was up late...early...or whatever you call staying up until 6 am writing, lol. I have no idea. I think if Kate had not put her answers up first I would have used similar one. Only other thing I can think of and I know I'm wrong - You asked us to write them?

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#43 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:Film - writing - directing - aviation - traveling - machinema - reading - acting -

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:43 AM

Ok, here it is. Don't hang me for it's simplicity:

The common link in all your stories are your CHARACTERS. Why? Because your CHARACTERS are the STORY.

Everything revolves around CHARACTER. Everything effects your CHARACTER. If it doesn't it has no place in the story.

PLANT/PAYOFF - INTERRUPTION of ROUTINE;

Everything we've learned thus far is all about PUSHING YOUR CHARACTER IN A NEW DIRECTION or forcing them to make a decision.

When we do this to our main character, what happens? We RAISE AUDIENCE EXPECTATION.

New direction for character = AUDIENCE EXPECTATION

New discovery for character = AUDIENCE EXPECTATION

A CHARACTER cleaning the gutter finds a one eyed rag doll, another character wearing an eye patch interrupts him/her. AUDIENCE EXPECTATION.

Kate's Story WAS NOT about a one eyed rag doll, it was about her character meeting one eyed mayor (another character).

Rgr's story WAS NOT about the sporty girl hating her sister, it was about a rag doll character that was possessed and terrorizing the sporty girl (another character).

Joseph's story WAS NOT about a paperclip or paper airplane, it was about a father character tragically losing his son (another character).

Shirl's story WAS NOT about the ring, it was about the boy and girl CHARTERS, effected by the ring.

What are your thoughts?

#44 JosephKw

JosephKw

Director

• Pioneers
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:24 AM

I KNEW it led to the next topic matter. Yes, I can understand that it is the character which is essential. The audience is best engaged when it has invested in a character and is enthralled with what will happen next to these characters.

#45 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3261 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

Reminds me of an interview with Will Wright (inventor of the sims). He said he set out to make a mini architecture / design program, and put a picture of a house on the box, then discovered that most people were much more interested in the little people they made as 'add ons' to this architecture package.

#46 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 869 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Aug 31 2012, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reminds me of an interview with Will Wright (inventor of the sims). He said he set out to make a mini architecture / design program, and put a picture of a house on the box, then discovered that most people were much more interested in the little people they made as 'add ons' to this architecture package.

THAT'S EXACTLY THE POINT!!!! laugh.gif

Thanks for sharing this Kate, great example!!!!!

People bought the Sims because they could INTERRUPT the little CHARACTERS ROUTINE, PLANT a MacGuffin in their lives and watch a PAYOFF! The game engenders AUDIENCE EXPECTATION.

Movies are about CHARACTERS lives.

Other observations? If there's any confusion about this stuff lets work together to clear it up. If I can explain something differently or a classmate can make an observation that helps, lets put it there! smile.gif

All of your scenes had clear examples of what were learning here Great Job!

#47 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3261 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

I might find it helpful to repeat that last exercise with a different choice of prop (help make it sink in) & try and keep my writing briefer this time so I can focus more on the fundamental elements we are learning.
Would that be ok?

#48 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3261 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

Ok, what I would like you guys to try, is take what you've learned about PLANT/PAYOFF and INTERRUPTION of ROUTINE, and combine them in one situation. Just give me one or two paragraphs that uses either a:

Paper clip

Gun

Rag Doll

Ring

Or an object that you've already used in some other story.
PLANT the object in the ROUTINE of your character and PAYOFF during or after the INTERRUPTION.

Take your time.

Scene Hallway:

Carl wearing dinner suit.
He picks up a ring box from side table, opens box, looks at diamond ring, closes box, looks at himself in mirror, adjusts bow-tie & collar nervously, pockets ring and leaves house.

Scene Restaurant:

Carl sits opposite Anna.
Carl knocks over wine glass, he grabs in his pocket for a handkerchief to mop up the spilled wine.
As he does so the ring flies out of his pocket and lands in the middle of Anna's dinner.

#49 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 869 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Aug 31 2012, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Scene Hallway:

Carl wearing dinner suit.
He picks up a ring box from side table, opens box, looks at diamond ring, closes box, looks at himself in mirror, adjusts bow-tie & collar nervously, pockets ring and leaves house.

Scene Restaurant:

Carl sits opposite Anna.
Carl knocks over wine glass, he grabs in his pocket for a handkerchief to mop up the spilled wine.
As he does so the ring flies out of his pocket and lands in the middle of Anna's dinner.

This is spot on! You have a knack for comedy!

ROUTINE and PLANT: Grooming / checking the ring.

INTERRUPTION and PAYOFF: Spilling wine, the ring tumbles from Carl's pocket to Anna's plate as he pulls out his handkerchief to mop up the wine.

LEAN and CLEAR description, that's what you want! Good Job!

#50 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 869 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

Guys, take your time and write a few more exercises if it will help you. There's no rush.

Also, if there is anything I can do to help you get a better grasp on these concepts, tell me what's confusing you, and we'll work it out. I'm here to help. smile.gif

#51 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 869 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

I know you all have busy lives, I'm guessing that's why you haven't posted. So let me know if you're ready to move on or you want to do a few more exercises on combining INTERRUPTION of ROUTINE and PLANT PAYOFF smile.gif

#52 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3261 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

I'm ready!

#53 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1903 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

Me too. smile.gif

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#54 JosephKw

JosephKw

Director

• Pioneers
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

ditto

#55 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 869 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

OK! We'll consider this the end of module 2.