• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

One of the things we realized over the last few years is that Moviestorm isn’t just a great way to make films quickly and cheaply. It’s an amazing way to learn about how films are made and develop your filmmaking techniques. As film teacher Phil South put it, it’s like a pilot using a simulator to train in - it’s affordable, safe, and convenient.

Making Better Movies with Moviestorm, Vol 1 is the first book in a series by Moviestorm co-founder Matt Kelland showing how to use Moviestorm to improve your filmmaking. It includes a series of simple exercises which focus on specific techniques. Importantly, they’re not specific to Moviestorm: they’re generic exercises which are equally applicable whether you make your films with Moviestorm, high-end animation, live action or anything else. The advantage of using Moviestorm to film in a virtual world is that it’s fast and you can practice solo without needing to find cast, crew, or kit.

The books are designed as practical self-guided workbooks rather than textbooks. The books aren’t designed simply to be read - they’re a training course that helps you to practice what you already know until it becomes second nature, and experiment with ideas at your own pace.. Each illustrated double page spread explains a technique and then asks you to film a scene in various ways so you can experiment with that technique. Review and follow-up sections encourage you to be critical of your own work and suggest further ways to film that scene or use that technique.

“Spot on. The exercises are set up in a very logical, progressive way.”
James Martin, University of North Texas

“Excellent - great for schools and colleges alike. The tone of the writing is perfect - neither patronising or too authoritative.”
Jezz Wright, Blockhouse TV

Download it free from Moviestorm - and please feel free to pass it on to friends.
The Moviestorm Team

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5259 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

Great idea. Thanks for making the effort!

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 Robear

Robear

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 309 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:18 PM

Very nicely done, Matt.

Great job!

#4 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:30 AM

Almost finished reading the first section on camera techniques. Excellent and easy to follow.

#5 andy_price

andy_price

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 986 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:01 AM

I have downloaded it and look forward to reading it, thanks matt

forumsig.png

#6 neut

neut

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

Well done Matt it looks fantastic. I'm just in the pre production phase with my media group and are just starting to look at things like camera work. So will be using this valuable resource in my lessons smile.gif

#7 MefuneAkira

MefuneAkira

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 284 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:35 AM

Looks great Matt. Nice work.

#8 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1134 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:01 AM

Excellent! I look forward to playing with this.

Let's hope that it gets a lot of attention and draws a new crowd under Moviestorm's spell smile.gif
"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Hosting for the Urban Decay Pack thanks to Ichikaiden ... Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!