3 replies to this topic

#1 skarstensen

skarstensen

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Game Development

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:49 AM

This may be old news to everyone, but after having to deal with this recently I figured I'd drop in and mention it here, what with the Express version being free n' all.

Hitfilm is a non-linear editor, and apparently most NLEs choke on so-called "delivery" formats like WMV, MOV, or the like.  My own experience is that WMV doesn't work so good, and AVI (the only non-.webm format MovieStorm exports) is a total coin flip.  They'll import them, but once you actually try to play them back from within the editor or do any actual editing, you'll have all sorts of problems like lag, stuttering, or (in my case) completely mismatched audio.

The solution is to use an "editing" format (I use .m2ts), as spelled out here;

http://telestreamblo...when-editing-2/

and, as an aside, I use the excellent V2V (aka "Video2Video") program; it converts pretty much any video format to any other video format, and ditto for audio (and it doesn't trip my virus scanner like Any Video Converter does; apparently the newer versions have spyware).  It also works in batches, which was damn handy when I had to convert an entire directory of .ogg files to .wav format (...did I mention HitFilm doesn't do .ogg?).

Modern Marvels Entertainment on the YouTubes

#2 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 880 posts
  • Interests:Film - writing - directing - aviation - traveling - machinema - reading - acting -

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:56 AM

Great info Skars! Thanks!

There is no try, only do or do not.

Learn story telling in the MOVIESTORM education forum. 

START HERE:  http://www.moviestor...showtopic=13153

#3 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:32 PM

Thank you, man. A very clear and informative article.
From my own experience, I came to a conclusion akin to the main statement in the article and use to get my best results with Sony Movie Studio converting previously the MS output using a M-JPEG codec and an insanely high video bit rate. Of course a lossless video codec is probably the best option if available and possible.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#4 skarstensen

skarstensen

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Game Development

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:26 PM

Pretty much.  My process now is to simply export at the best .webm quality I can and then use V2V to convert to .m2ts before importing into HitFilm.

Thank you, man. A very clear and informative article.
From my own experience, I came to a conclusion akin to the main statement in the article and use to get my best results with Sony Movie Studio converting previously the MS output using a M-JPEG codec and an insanely high video bit rate. Of course a lossless video codec is probably the best option if available and possible.

Modern Marvels Entertainment on the YouTubes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users