• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

Especially to all of you veterans, a screenshot of a pre-release version of Moviestorm (mid 2007), rescued from the DVD included with the seminal book by Hugh Hancock and Johnnie Ingram and running on a VM:

Attached File  Moviestorm_Pre-release.jpg   193.76KB   0 downloads

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#2 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:59 PM

A video demonstrating, in a rather improvised and clumsy way, the look and feel of Moviestorm as it was 10+ years ago. To get this movie done, the installer of the pre-release version in the DVD included with the book 'Machinima for Dummies', by Hugh Hancock and Johnnie Ingram, was installed on a virtual machine running Windows XP. Unfortunately, it looks like animations didn't work at all, for some component didn't work correctly and lots of errors were written to the log file.

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#3 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:02 PM

And a file with a list of the assets included in that pre-release distribution (Base package only):

Attached File  Moviestorm_Pre-release (2007) Assets.txt   36.07KB   1 downloads

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5343 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:00 AM

... Unfortunately, it looks like animations didn't work at all, for some component didn't work correctly and lots of errors were written to the log file...

Yeah I remember trying to run it and getting as far as placing a chair on the stage and having a guy walk towards it, but then the program always crashed.

But the potential of those few secs was enough to hook me. I contacted Johnnie Ingram who told me there had been an update and to download it from the MS site and I was off and running.

I must admit the Scottish connection was a bit of a draw too. Although funnily enough, that same factor didn't really work with Muvizu ;)

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#5 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:29 PM

An incomplete chronology of releases of Moviestorm and its content packs, from the announcements made in the forums:

Attached File  Moviestorm Releases - Chronology.pdf   90.85KB   8 downloads

Sorry. tried to paste the table directly into the post, but doing so the format was lost.

#6 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:39 PM

Yeah I remember trying to run it and getting as far as placing a chair on the stage and having a guy walk towards it, but then the program always crashed.

But the potential of those few secs was enough to hook me. I contacted Johnnie Ingram who told me there had been an update and to download it from the MS site and I was off and running.

Do you mean it was broken as distributed in the bonus DVD? I thought it was because of some issue with the virtualized environment or hardware.

I must admit the Scottish connection was a bit of a draw too. Although funnily enough, that same factor didn't really work with Muvizu ;)

Actually, what techies' things are you Scots not involved in? :)

#7 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5343 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:36 PM

Do you mean it was broken as distributed in the bonus DVD? I thought it was because of some issue with the virtualized environment or hardware.

Actually, what techies' things are you Scots not involved in? :)

I guess it may have been my laptop's specs at the time but when I downloaded the update everything worked fine.

AFAIK Scots have never been involved in anything leading to improvements in the human diet.

Damn! I forgot..we invented Chicken Tikka Masala ;)

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#8 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:53 PM

Damn! I forgot..we invented Chicken Tikka Masala ;)

In a hundred thousand years I had guessed Chicken Tikka Masala was a Scottish recipe, just like haggis... Yet so it seems. :blink:  I guess it's somehow related to the rice Tikka Masala I'm so fond of and use to buy in my favourite supermarket.

#9 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:29 PM

Browsing the official blog, I've found this entry, with a link to a very early videotutorial by revdoug, made using a version more or less contemporary with the one I used.

#10 Benter

Benter

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:27 AM

It's crazy to think Moviestorm is 10 years old at this point. Where has the time gone... I've been lurking in this community for years now and been playing around with Moviestorm probably since 2009 or so.