• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 956 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:04 PM

Although Moviestorm isn't a game, some of the issues in this Futurelab podcast are interesting.

In this 22-minute presentation Dr Ben Williamson focuses on competing arguments about the role of computer games in supporting educational goals. In particular, he concentrates on how games are often used to reinforce ideas about work in a 'high tech' economy and the role of education in producing human capital for the labour market, as well as on how this interest in games risks making education seem like another form of consumerism. This presentation was part of the Becta Research Conference 2008 in Sheffield.

Available as video, audio, or PDF transcript.

Matt Kelland
Moviestorm Founder

#2 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:37 PM

Sounds interesting. I will make sure my teenage son watches it. LOL. Computer games are not bad as they do improve hand/eye coordination and my son's fascination with computer games has nothing to do with his performance in school. We have found that nothing we do will help if he does not want to do a course. He is quite capable of making A's when he wants too and the time he spends on the computer has nothing to do with it. But they don't allow them to play computer games on the computers in his school. Kids are going to do what they want no matter what you do.

#3 Trinity

Trinity

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 618 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

not to mention that many armed forces services in various countries are using video games for both recruiting and training, not to mention that they are using the technology for things like deploying and using equipment like bomb robots. heck, right now USA is adapting the Wii controller for use in the field to replace what they're using to control robots that defuse bombs and also robots that shoot guns. and speaking of guns, so many people only think of shooter games when they think of video games. sure that's a popular genre, but there are so many more, including ones that teach critical thinking, creativity and collaboration.
Writer / Producer / Director

DIGIPENDENCE.com - my blog about 3D moviemaking, machinima, animation, cinematic design, sequential art, graphic novels, web comix, fan films, and independent film, video & photo production.

#4 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

(Trinity)
not to mention that many armed forces services in various countries are using video games for both recruiting and training, not to mention that they are using the technology for things like deploying and using equipment like bomb robots. heck, right now USA is adapting the Wii controller for use in the field to replace what they're using to control robots that defuse bombs and also robots that shoot guns. and speaking of guns, so many people only think of shooter games when they think of video games. sure that's a popular genre, but there are so many more, including ones that teach critical thinking, creativity and collaboration.

Oh yes and the armed forces uses machinima too for training films. I found some nice ones that are puiblic domain.