• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:34 PM

We're putting together various ideas for how teachers can use Moviestorm in the classroom. We'd love your feedback on these - which ones work, which don't, how could they be improved, and so on. If you've actually tried any of these, let us know how it went.

And of course, please contribute any of your own!

News bulletin
Create a news bulletin on a topical subject. Intercut video or slides to create a multimedia presentation.
Benefit: demonstrates the student’s ability to converse about current affairs. If the subject is related to the foreign country, this also requires some research that will enhance understanding.

Debate
Create a movie where several characters hold a debate on a topic of interest; sports, politics, or similar.
Benefit: this makes an excellent group project. The student is required to demonstrate the ability to formulate an argument and present it convincingly.

Chat show
Create a chat show in the form of either a group conversation or an interview.
Benefit: an excellent group project to demonstrate grasp of colloquial language.

Play
Take a scene from a play and present it in movie form. Add music if required.
Benefit: this allows the student to get a better understanding of the play by taking it beyond the written word and into something visual and active. Use of music demonstrates that the student has understood the emotional content of the play. This makes a good group project, as students have to take different roles.

Poem
Create a short movie based on a poem. This could include the poem as voice-over, on-screen text, spoken by one of the characters, or simply interpreted.
Benefit: this allows the student to get a better understanding of the poem by taking it beyond the written word and into something visual and active. By allowing them a free interpretation, it allows them to react to the poem in their own way.

Business meeting
Create a short scene depicting a business meeting. This could be, for example, a corporate presentation, job interview, or negotiation.
Benefit: this requires the student to demonstrate a grasp of business language and also to demonstrate confidence in spoken communication. This makes a good group project.

Travel report
Create a travel report from a foreign country, including stills, video, and other material. The student can choose to focus on many different aspects, such as social issues, tourist attractions, history, geography, culture, food, or more personal experiences.
Benefit: the use of multimedia requires the student to research the country in detail.

Tourism
Create a short video depicting a typical everyday situation that a tourist might encounter, such as booking a hotel room, ordering a meal, buying goods in a shop, asking for directions, going to a doctor, renting a car, reporting a crime and so on.
Benefit: this is a good group project which demonstrates that the students have the necessary language skills to travel within the country. It can work even better if the project demonstrates knowledge of how things may be different in that country to what they are used to.

Aural comprehension
(Teacher-created video) Create short videos in the foreign language, and ask the students what was being said.
Benefit: this demonstrates comprehension of spoken word. Teachers can create videos that their students will relate to. This can work particularly well for teaching foreign students, as the teacher can create videos in their own language.

The Moviestorm Team

#2 bchtchr6

bchtchr6

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:17 PM

One of the projects our Global Language teachers do each year is having student order from a menu. I am looking at moving that project over to MovieStorm using the restraunt. The project would use a waiter and two people at the table ordering. Hopefully I can get an example up soon.

#3 skratchmasta

skratchmasta

Master Director

• Mods
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

I really like the idea of having a restaurant scenario as a modern languages template. I think its a very versatile scenario. I have made a mock up of what a template may look like. I could then add it to the starter movies section of moviestorm under a 'foreign languages' header.

What do you think?

Attached Files

Alex Gowland
Moviestorm Ltd.

#4 bchtchr6

bchtchr6

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

I like it, this way the students can worry more about the vocabulary for the project and not concentrate on character and set creation. I think that once they become extremely familiar with Moviestorm it will be easier for them but many teacher do not have the time needed in a class to create a full project in class. Drop in templates for what they need are fantastic!

#5 skratchmasta

skratchmasta

Master Director

• Mods
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:20 AM

Thank you I'll get right to it smile.gif

The movie will consist of the waiter walking up to a female character, asking what she wants to order then moving over to the male character.

Or would it be more useful to just have the waiter ask one person then the characters sex could be changed to suit each student?

Thanks,
Alex
Alex Gowland
Moviestorm Ltd.

#6 skratchmasta

skratchmasta

Master Director

• Mods
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

By the way,

Do you think its a better idea to set up a movie in English. stating what they order, then the student has to record it in another language.

Or, is it a better idea to show a blank template showing the character ordering so that the student can order anything they want.

What is useful in this scenario is that once they get served, they can change the variant on the dining object to change to what they have ordered
Alex Gowland
Moviestorm Ltd.

#7 bchtchr6

bchtchr6

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:57 PM

I would say one person, that way each student can create their own project.

#8 bchtchr6

bchtchr6

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (skratchmasta @ Mar 29 2011, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By the way,

Do you think its a better idea to set up a movie in English. stating what they order, then the student has to record it in another language.

Or, is it a better idea to show a blank template showing the character ordering so that the student can order anything they want.

What is useful in this scenario is that once they get served, they can change the variant on the dining object to change to what they have ordered

I would say blank template, that way depending on the language being taught. That way the teacher can give them guidance on what to order depending on what they are studying.

#9 skratchmasta

skratchmasta

Master Director

• Mods
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

Thanks bchtchr6 for the much needed clarity on the situation. I have a mcuh better idea of what is needed now and i thank you for your assistance. I have almost completed a blank template so I will post the movie up here when I'm finished.

Thanks again,

Alex
Alex Gowland
Moviestorm Ltd.

#10 skratchmasta

skratchmasta

Master Director

• Mods
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

Hi bchtchr6,

Heres a rough cut of the template I have made. Questions I have are;

Does it fill all requirements?
Are the timings roughly accurate enough?
Is the ambiance quiet enough to hear recorded voices clearly?
Does the direction/ animation need anything else?
Is the set too bland?
Does the movie need titles and credits?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Alex Gowland
Moviestorm Ltd.