78 replies to this topic

#1 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

Moviestorm 1.5 is now available!

We promised we’d get it to you by the end of the year, and here it is. Moviestorm 1.5 - shinier, faster, and with all-new added goodness. It’ll make your hair more lustrous, help you lose weight, and wash your clothes even whiter than before. Okay, maybe not, but it will help you make films faster and better.

What's new
Moviestorm 1.5 includes a lot of new features. You can find full details in the patch notes here
, along with the main bug fixes. Here are just some of the highlights:
Terrain editor: change the default mountains around the edge of the set.
Import video into the cutting room: you can now mix scenes from several different movies, or mix in external video files.
Save gestures to stock: once you’ve created a gesture for a character, you can easily use it again in other scenes or movies.
Tint the sky: gives you much more variation in the feel of your exterior sets.
Timeline grouping: group several activities together on the timeline and move them all together.
Text to speech allows you to create basic dialog without an audio file or microphone.
WebM video format gives better performance and quality on a wider range of hardware.
Dressing room user interface makes it easier to find costumes.
Screenshot button in Camera view makes it easy to create storyboards or stills.
Timeline user interface has been made clearer and easier to use.
Some Cutting Room filters now have options for different strengths of the filter.
Extra Large Set is a new stock set with the floor grid at 100m square instead of the normal 50m square.
You can now render stereoscopic 3D left and right eye views as separate renders, allowing you to re-combine them in the 3D software of you choice.
New audio filters give you better control over your sound.

Installation
Just start up Moviestorm as normal. It will automatically update the launcher (not the main program). Then when you're ready, you can update Moviestorm from the launcher when it's convenient. Be patient, it could take a while, especially if you're on a slow connection.
If you have repeated problems downloading the file, you may need to temporarily disable your virus checker.

Compatibility
As far as we can tell, your existing movies should work fine with 1.5. There are however, a few things to watch out for.
Video: If your movies have video files playing back on props, you should convert those videos to the WebM format; they will then play back faster and with audio. More info about WebM.
Mods: we've tested some mods, and we haven't found any problems, but we can't 100% guarantee that your mods will continue to work.
Lighting: we fixed a bug with ambient lighting which meant that it was extra bright under some circumstances. You may need to adjust the ambient lighting to compensate.
Doors: we changed the pathfinding for going through doors. In some cases, your characters may take a different route, and will walk through walls instead of being stuck..
Dance floor: the dance floor works differently and you may need to tell each dance floor to flash instead of them all flashing at the same time.
If you have problems, please check the support forums http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/forums/ or contact support via the Web site http://support.movie...co.uk/dashboard.
The Moviestorm Team

#2 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1135 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

Well plait my hair and call me Susan!

Let's have a big fat WOOT! laugh.gif

Seriously great news. Just backing everything up just to be on the safe side...
"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Hosting for the Urban Decay Pack thanks to Ichikaiden ... Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#3 chadaproductions

chadaproductions

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (Poulet Noir @ Dec 8 2011, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's have a big fat WOOT!

WOOT!

So excited! Just waiting for it to download, if only my dratted internet was a little faster! 9 minutes left...

Chada Productions
Video Production & Animation

Website
Facebook Page
Follow Us On Twitter!
Email Us!

#4 bouche919

bouche919

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:27 PM

Hurrah! New features sound great but having problems with the Mac update. I updated to 1.5 but Moviestorm crashes on start.

I'm on Leopard 10.5.8 but MovieStorm crashes out when you press the 'Start' button on launching the program Going to re-download the full thing and try a fresh install. I do have a custom Sliders pack installed.

Does it require a newer version of the nVidia CG toolkit or anything?

The logs seem to have overwritten themselves otherwise I'd send them,

Hopefully this is just me! smile.gif

C

#5 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

Odd. We don't have a copy of Leopard here, but it's been tested extensively on Snow Leopard. We have experienced a failure to start occasionally on older Mac platforms, but this is easily resolved by restarting the program. Let us know how you get on.
The Moviestorm Team

#6 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (Moviestorm @ Dec 8 2011, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Moviestorm 1.5 is now available!

We promised we’d get it to you by the end of the year, and here it is. Moviestorm 1.5 - shinier, faster, and with all-new added goodness..

Loving it so far! Started playing with the terrain editor. Finally I can do an ocean which can stretch way into horizon!
WOOT!
More notes to follow!
But two REALLY big thumbs up thus far!
C

#7 andy_price

andy_price

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 986 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

updating now, looking forward to testing the new features I second the woot

WOOT WOOT

forumsig.png

#8 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

So many exciting new features here, and one we have begged for so long which is the large stage! Hoorah!

Excuse me while I go and play biggrin.gif

Oh and thanks guys!

#9 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:35 PM

I'm using OSX 10.6.8, and all seems fine with a very quick test. Congrats!

It's great that text-to-speech finally works, but is there a way to get more than one voice?

#10 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

I managed to upset MS already! Made a new thread in Feedback about that though.

#11 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:13 PM

Wonderful. What a wonderful Christmas present for all of us from Moviestorm.

Do we need to republish any of the addons we have created in 1.5 in order for them to work? As you know I have made 100 plus addons and that is a lot of work but I will do it if it is necessary.

Well I opened it and started a new movie and used the extra large set and all I have is a black screen. I have a 64 bit computer and am running Windows 7.

Just tried it with the regular empty set and still have a black screen.

The modder' s workshop works fine though.

#12 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

My new best friend is...

-RESUME-

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you guys!
C

#13 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

I fixed it. It was because I was using the default.material file that gets rid of the mountains but luckily I saved the original default.material file and replaced the one I had created with the original one and it works fine now.

It is working wonderfully now. The movies I had with the complex sets that stopped loading are now loading and everything is working faster and better than in the old version.

#14 jakechief

jakechief

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:23 PM

WOO! I will download it when I get home. I am really looking forward to this!
Radio host of "The Storm Hour" Saturdays at 1 Pacific, 3 Central, 4EST, 9Uk, 10EUR, only on www.tmoaradio.com

#15 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

Room!

On the new grid a normal male character walking at default corner to corner takes just over two minutes!

HUGE!

Until next week when we will all start whining again about lack of space. WINK

C

#16 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1144 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

Downloading
MERRY CHRISTMAS.
Thanks for all your hard work guys!!!

#17 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

Okay guys and gals,

I did the update to my modding version of Moviestorm and everything looks great so far. I have a batch of mods that I haven't put out yet so I've been taking pictures of them to make banners of them and I want to say that the performance has increased 200%, way, way faster in the cutting room and rendering and the camera view. Now, for the problem...I made a new movie, took some pictures, rendered them and they didn't render to my new movie folder, instead they rendered to a different movie folder. Luckily, I opened the "open file location" from the Publishers View, otherwise I might have been looking high and low for the pictures I rendered. Just thought I would let you know in case it happens to anyone else. smile.gif

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#18 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (squirrelygirl @ Dec 8 2011, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I made a new movie, took some pictures, rendered them and they didn't render to my new movie folder, instead they rendered to a different movie folder.

Okay, that happened to me too. I figured it was operator error. It ended up in the penultimate folder I had created/used.

So guys there is your Bug #1!

C

#19 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:26 PM

The publisher view should remember where you render to, rather than each render being to the folder for that movie. Possibly should have put that in the release notes.

The screenshots should go into the folder for the movie (possible in to Moviestorm/.cache/current_movie if you have not yet saved it).

Addons/mods do not need to be republished for 1.5.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#20 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:37 PM

All of my recent renders, no matter which movie I render from (new one or previously saved), render into the same folder. I start a new movie call it "Movie A" then make the camera angles and render the movie winds up in "Movie B" folder. I load a previously saved movie and render it and it winds up in "Movie B" folder. Hopefully, you get what I'm saying. smile.gif

It's like "Movie B" folder has become my designated render section, no matter which movie I render.

modsnmore_logo.jpg