• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Dave

Dave

Critically acclaimed

• Mods
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:20 PM

It's been a while coming but version 1.1.2 of Moviestorm is now available for download automatically next time you start Moviestorm.

There's a lot of good stuff in this release including of course many bug fixes and small improvements. There's also a lot of preparatory support for upcoming content packs, particularly the Law and Order pack in the next week or so and the customizable buildings early in the new year.

Here are the headlines:

Features
1: Character walk paths can now be edited in the Director's View. Just scrub the timeline along to any point during the character's walk, shift-click and drag . The character will adapt her walk automatically to include the new point. In this way you can now easily ensure that your characters avoid each other or objects on set.
2: Shift-clicking a character on set in the Director's View and dragging them to another point on set will now create a walk for that character, exactly as if you had issued a Move here command. (Note that this is not the same as dragging a character's mark).
3: Apart from characters, Moviestorm now features moveable objects. Place the object on set in the set workshop, then go to the Directors View and use the same shift-drag mechanism as characters to create their movement path. The objects that are currently moveable are Bat, Bat_Flying, Ghost, Skulls, WitchesBroom, Snowmen, Skull, TV_Camera, Follow_Spot, Retro_Saucer, Shuttle and Vehicles.
4: Vehicles additionally follow some basic kinetic rules. The wheels rotate and turn and the car body will bank when turning. This is only the first step though - vehicles have a lot more functionality to come.
5: Trees now have a simple swaying motion to give them a little life. A future Moviestorm release will provide controls for the strength of the wind and the amount of sway.
6: The set object Customisation Panel now opens in a seperate (moveable) dialogue box.
7: Support for a new, component-based system for set object customisation. At present, only a few set objects (Tinsel, gifts and the Menorah, all from the Happy Holidays content pack) support components. More component-based set objects will be added in later Content Packs.
8: Groups of set objects can now be moved and rotated as one object. Shift-click an object in the Set Workshop View to add it to the selection group. The group can now be moved or rotated in just the same way as a single set object. We'll be expanding on the multiple-selection features in future releases.
9: Moviestormers with access to the Modder's Workshop (which is still in an invite-only Beta stage) can now import objects in Google SketchUp format (.skp).

Fixes
1: Changing material colours for set objects is now achieved by clicking the set object in Set Workshop View, and choosing _Change Colour_ from the (new) ring menu that appears. Certain set objects will also provide several texture variaitons, which can be accessed in the same way.
2: Customisable textures on set objects will now highlight on mouse-over.
3: Characters holding gun props can now aim at a target. Simply click your chosen target, and from the ring menu that appears choose _Aim at_ (instead of the usual _Point at_). Characters will automatically track their target if the target moves, and will cease aiming when appropriate (when putting their gun away, for instance).

Issues
1: All Modder's Workshop users must download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86). This library is used for the new SketchUp importer. The Modder's Workshop will no longer function without this library installed. The SketchUp importer is not yet available for Mac users (sorry!).
2: The SketchUp importer is not compatible with the new SketchUp 7 format. Use Save As from within SketchUp and choose SketchUp Version 6 as the output format.
3: When running Moviestorm on an Apple Mac Mini, the program will crash every second time.
4: Macbook pro users with an 8600 GPU running MacOS X 10.5 (Leopard) may experience slow running of Moviestorm, caused by the graphics card overheating. We recommend turning off shaders if you encounter this.
5: Targeted camera shots can produce inconsistent results when targeted at characters.
6: The undo/redo functionality does not work when applied to vehicle movement commands.
7: The Modder's Workshop does not currently save any changes made to morphable heads.
8: When this update has finished, you may need to re-run the launcher before Moviestorm will start.
9: Walk paths through doors are not adjustable into curves. The explode walk function which should enable this is inconsistent in how well it works

Enjoy!

Dave

Edit (BenS):
Updated the Shuttle so that it flies fowards instead of sideways.
Removed the extra bodyparts for Hat Stars and spaceship (attached to the face).
Chief Bit Shoveller
Short Fuze Ltd

#2 Geiiga

Geiiga

Director

• Pioneers
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

That's spectacular. And just after I shelved a script that involved a moving car as "too technically difficult to do with finals looming and the play I'm in opening this week."

EDIT: How do you make a car move? Clicking on them seems to just give me the option of having my character look or point.

EDIT PART II: I read good. But there's still something about the "shift-drag" method that eludes me.

#3 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

Wow, and just as Kate and I are working on our Christmas card. How fantastic!

Will there be a tutorial soon for the Pioneers to use the Modder's Workshop input from Sketchup

Thank you again!! smile.gif
"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations" - Orson Welles

Pineapple Pictures
http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/

#4 DavidB

DavidB

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 793 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

I'm pretty excited about this one too - first step on some important paths.

tutorials? we were hoping one of you would create them 8-) (joke)
David J W Bailey ACA MA MSc GIBiol MInstD

blog.david.bailey.net www.twitter.com/davidjwbailey www.flickr.com/people/davidjwbailey

#5 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

Fantastic! All the additions and fixes look awesome. Moving objects? Cool.
I'm sure that someone wink.gif will write up something on the Importer soon.

I'm off to work (argh), and I don't want to be the one to start this, but, as soon as I hit "convert" in the Importer, MS completely shutdown on me. Closed itself it did.

#6 steelblade

steelblade

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 728 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:51 PM

Catch me.... I feel faint.....

THUMP! smile.gif

#7 Geiiga

Geiiga

Director

• Pioneers
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

Addendum to previous edit:

How -do- you make the cars move? Clicking does as I said and shift-clicking doesn't bring up any new options.

#8 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

(Geiiga)
Addendum to previous edit:

How -do- you make the cars move? Clicking does as I said and shift-clicking doesn't bring up any new options.

Shift-Drag to a new position, while you are in the directors view. And it requires one of the cars that has actually been set up; currently that is the Car_Family_Saloon_01 in the base pack, and comming soon, it will be the police cars in the Law and Order pack (but not the ones in the pioneer preview pack, untill we update it).
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#9 Geiiga

Geiiga

Director

• Pioneers
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:59 PM

Ah, that's my problem. I tried the old-school Chevy truck and the Mini.

Additionally, Joe now seems not to be able to sit down.

EDIT: Scratch that one, too. I have no earthly idea what I was doing wrong, but it works that. Excellent job, guys!

EDIT IV: Can you tell that I've been up all night trying to make Danny's impossible visions come into reality? I have no idea what "it works that" means.

#10 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:01 PM

Wow, this is great. I just installed it all and am downloading and installing the Visual C++ too. Moving cars and so much more than I ever expected and just in time for my new movie for the Feed the Hungry program. The streets are not going to be safe though with my puppets driving. LOL

#11 dpickett

dpickett

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 448 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

Great smile.gif

Loads of features that add so much more to Moviestorm. I'm just starting to try and out moving cars and then I'll move onto the rest of the new stuff. Nice Work!
Composer, Producer
David Pickett

#12 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

I already shot my first scene with the moving car. Beautiful. Everything worked perfectly without a glitch at all!

#13 forgeuk

forgeuk

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:05 PM

Ooooh...lots of goodies!

Scott Hather

#14 thefr00n

thefr00n

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

The Sketchup importer is FANTASTIC!

Works like a charm. I am really, really impressed - this feature is going to result in an avalanche of really beautiful addons, I'm sure.

Julian, you're a genius!

#15 reptor7

reptor7

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1299 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:35 PM

Ack! I'm at work right now! Can't wait to get home to kick my kids off the 'puter, hee hee!

I have some key props that wouldn't convert previously and can't wait to give the new sketchup importer a go! Great job, Shortfuse!

#16 Hirsches

Hirsches

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:09 PM

That update is like a present three days before my birthday! smile.gif

So much new great stuff!
That drivnig cars and moving props are excellent!

I don't know if it's down to the update, but since I've 1.1.2 moviestorm works much faster and more stable. Gestures and all that are loading immediately! That's so great!

What I also like is the snowballing! Really wonderful!

The only thing I didn't try yet is the Sketchup-Importer, but I'm looking forward to try it.

So what I want to say is, dear moviestorm-team you have done a great job! Compliment! That brings so many new features into moviestorm!

Keep it up! Really good job!
Coming soon: Jailhouse Revival (christian film) | Pilot's Tales (aviation adventure series) | Next Door Neighbours (sitcom series) | Country Patrol

#17 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:58 PM

love the moving car... spooky moving snowman... changing paths of characters!

A quick test of the S/U import worked well!

You folks are fantastic!

#18 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:00 PM

Ooooh total awesomeness!

#19 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:46 AM

I've barely touched all the new stuff, but, provided you don't overload the Importer with an overly complicated model, it's totally sweet! Thanks Julian!! Thanks SF!!!

#20 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:17 AM

Sweet work, guys. Lovin' it all, so far. Even the saucer-face! wink.gif
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent