Photo

And the next competition will be... up to you!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: And the next competition will be... up to you! (46 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Monologue (18 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

2. Change (9 votes [19.57%])

Percentage of vote: 19.57%

3. Surprise ending (19 votes [41.30%])

Percentage of vote: 41.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 matt

matt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 956 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

We'll shortly be launching our next competition, but we can't decide which of the various ideas we like best. Then we realised, it really doesn't matter what we'd like to do, it matters what you'd like to do. So we figured we'd just ask you straight out.

Here are the three options: please give us your votes!

[list]
[list]
[list]

And while you're at it, suggest any other competition ideas for the future.
Matt Kelland
Moviestorm Founder

#2 act3scene24

act3scene24

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

Honestly, I like them all. I voted for surprise ending, but I wouldn't mind any of those listed.

We should definitely do each one, eventually.
In a class I had, we had a theme each week. The theme was one word and it could be involved in any possible way. It was a fun year. But instead of writing a story about it, it would be funner to make a movie about it, so these competitions are really fun for me.

I'll see if I can come up with other suggestions to post later. smile.gif

#3 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

I vote for change but would be happy with the surprise ending too. The monologue doesn't appeal to me because I always want to SHOW a story, not just speak it and showing the story would show off Moviestorm much better. A monologue is kind of for an acting competition.

#4 mellowhardy

mellowhardy

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

As it's Oscar season, how about a MovieStorm oscar-type ceremony. The awards could even be animated :-)

#5 act3scene24

act3scene24

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

As for me, I already have ideas for each of the categories.

For monologue, you can have someone telling a story and use Moviestorm to show the story the person is telling in VO form. That's what I'm going to do if we go that way.

#6 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 928 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

[quote=act3scene24]As for me, I already have ideas for each of the categories.

For monologue, you can have someone telling a story and use Moviestorm to show the story the person is telling in VO form. That's what I'm going to do if we go that way.
I actually have made a series of movies with The Movies using that technique and I thought I could go that way with this comp should monologue win out but I re-read the post and it says that it would be limited to one character or something to that effect so I don't think that would be allowed.

I guess if anyone wanted to get a head start they could start working on a monologue about change and throw in a surprise ending. 8)

#7 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

The monologue would be great for new users and people who haven't been able to afford addons, so I hope it happens sometime if it doesn't win now.

My only objection to "suprise ending" is that if you're expecting a surprise, the surprise ending isn't as likely to work. That happens all the time with movies that get initial buzz because of their surprise endings, but later viewers say, "I don't see what the big deal was. I figured it out..."

#8 sisch

sisch

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:06 PM

I voted for monologue, too - I already have ideas (involving the new addon soon to come..)

Only bad thing is, if the comp starts when the addon comes out, I likely won't be able to take part because of the deadline for my ongoing project... sad.gif ... ah well.

#9 act3scene24

act3scene24

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:40 PM

(willshetterly)
The monologue would be great for new users and people who haven't been able to afford addons, so I hope it happens sometime if it doesn't win now.

My only objection to "suprise ending" is that if you're expecting a surprise, the surprise ending isn't as likely to work. That happens all the time with movies that get initial buzz because of their surprise endings, but later viewers say, "I don't see what the big deal was. I figured it out..."

That's why you can have a surprise ending by NOT having a surprise ending in a surprise ending category. I know it doesn't seem to make sense, but it can be done. You make it so a surprise ending is expected but it turns out to be nothing.

As for Nahton, you can still do a monologue VO/flashback sequence with one character if done right. It might be more challenging, but that's what a good competition is about. :-)

And great idea on mixing all three together. Hmm...

#10 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

I like surprise ending.

You could do it as a monologue, and cover two bases at once. Make it a monologue about change, with a surprise ending and you're laughing. (Or you will be if it's a comedy too)

Or you could go with surprise ending, and the surprise is, there's no surprise.

:?

#11 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5382 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:26 PM

I voted for monologue because I think it is the most challenging. Needs good writing especially in Machinima where it's hard to be subtle with facial gestures.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#12 Xolotl

Xolotl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:26 PM

I voted.
But only me and my barber knows which one.
My idea for a comp is for there to be an obsession somewhere in the plot. Stories driven by an overwhelming motivation would be fun.

#13 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:30 PM

[quote=act3scene24]As for me, I already have ideas for each of the categories.

That, I think, would be considered a narrative, not a monologue. I love narratives, they make movies seem more intimate to me if done right...but I think it was specifically mentioned that in the monologue the character is facing the camera saying the monologue...think a State of the Union address or Jay Leno wink.gif

But a narrative movie contest sounds great too, so if you weren't suggesting it I would be happy to smile.gif

I voted for change, because that's the first one that I had an idea for.

#14 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:00 PM

I vote for a monologue on change with a surprise ending.

Regards
David

Moviestorm still Number One

#15 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

Seconded!

#16 act3scene24

act3scene24

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 857 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:00 AM

For future reference, a type of competition I'd like is the old "You Make It!" competition. It could be one of many types.

For example, have a pre-written script that we all have access to. Could be an original work or something from the public domain. And the one you like best could win.

It doesn't have to be that, it also be where you make us film an entire movie using a set of your choosing. It could also include a necessary prop, etc.

#17 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:05 PM

It looks like Monologue is winning. I can see where most of you who are voting are coming from, but since I write all the time, it isn't anything new for me or especially fun to do.

#18 matt

matt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 956 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:08 PM

10 - 9 It's early days yet. It'll be a couple of weeks before we make the final call. I'd call it neck and neck so far wink.gif
Matt Kelland
Moviestorm Founder

#19 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

The thing I'd say about monologue is that it is less challenging.

I think it is much harder to deliver a movie that has a story told both visually and through dialogue. All good movies need to be planned, but as soon as you involve multiple characters the planning becomes exponentially more complex. If the purpose of the competition is to see what can be done in 'Storm then you're more likely to be dazzled with dialogue.

Certainly there'll be more entries with monologue, but without throwing down the gauntlet that there should be some surprising element to the story we could end up with a whole series of man-in-chair talking to camera type movies.

C'mon folks - the way to showcase this software is to encourage great story telling, and superlative cinematics.

Tell me I'm wrong. Go on! tongue.gif

#20 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1135 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:00 PM

I've plumped for "surprise ending".

Monologue is more about scriptwriting, which in itself is no bad thing, but it overlaps with the Christmas Message competition to some extent - we'd be hard-pushed to compete with act3scene 24's awesome monologue that actually won that one.

Change would be pretty cool as well: in fact the more I think about it the more intriguing it becomes...

PN
"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Hosting for the Urban Decay Pack thanks to Ichikaiden ... Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!