Photo

And the next competition will be... up to you!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: And the next competition will be... up to you! (46 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Monologue (18 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

2. Change (9 votes [19.57%])

Percentage of vote: 19.57%

3. Surprise ending (19 votes [41.30%])

Percentage of vote: 41.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:52 PM

(davidwww)
I vote for a monologue on change with a surprise ending.

Regards
David

Um, I changed my mind and voted for a monologue on surprise endings... but with a change or twist... maybe it would involve really TWO people that looked alike, so people only thought it was a monologue...

(my middle name is "Convoluted"!) :oops:
The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#22 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:56 PM

(Poulet Noir)
Monologue is more about scriptwritingPN

All good movies require a good script, no doubt, and monologue would be very dependent on a good script. But I also think that Suprise offers great scope for scripting, and the opportunity to show what we can do with the camera.

It's gotta be Surprise!!!

#23 sisch

sisch

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

(iceaxe)
The thing I'd say about monologue is that it is less challenging.

I think it is much harder to deliver a movie that has a story told both visually and through dialogue. All good movies need to be planned, but as soon as you involve multiple characters the planning becomes exponentially more complex. If the purpose of the competition is to see what can be done in 'Storm then you're more likely to be dazzled with dialogue.

Certainly there'll be more entries with monologue, but without throwing down the gauntlet that there should be some surprising element to the story we could end up with a whole series of man-in-chair talking to camera type movies.

C'mon folks - the way to showcase this software is to encourage great story telling, and superlative cinematics.

Tell me I'm wrong. Go on! tongue.gif

Funny - I think it's the exact opposite - a well done monologue with complementing visuals is (in my book) one of the hardest things to pull off! smile.gif

Let me explain why I think so....

1. It has to be superbly written - much more difficult than a dialogue, because that is more "forgiving" - you have more characters the viewer has to occupy himself with, and the different voices make it more lively.
If a monologue isn't well written, the viewer will be bored to death in no time at all.

2. The images - will you go with images that supplement the monologue, or will you do something completely different? The visuals accompanying the monologue have by no means to tell the same story as the words.... you could even tell two (or more) different stories - and in the end, have a "surprise" ending by making them meet....

Just an idea. smile.gif
Oh, and I don't think you're wrong, IceAxe - I value different opinions very much!

#24 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

I think there's a case for having a special additional prize awarded to best newcomer. Can't think of a better word for that..I mean someone who hasn't previously won a prize in a MS competition.

#25 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

kkffoo, excellent idea! One approach would be something like a "New Director" category for people who registered for Moviestorm in the last two or three months.

#26 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

(kkffoo)
I think there's a case for having a special additional prize awarded to best newcomer. Can't think of a better word for that..I mean someone who hasn't previously won a prize in a MS competition.

I have been thinking about that too. We have so many new users here now also they don't always have or can afford all the addon packs. It was easier for us when we started as Pioneers as we built up our supply gradually. but for a new user to buy all the addon packs it is about $170.00. Anyway so it is hard for a new user to compete with people who have been using this program for a long time.

But I would make it broader than just not for those who have previously won because there haven't been that many competitions.

#27 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

(sisch)
If a monologue isn't well written, the viewer will be bored to death in no time at all.

Hmmm. Maybe that's what I'm afraid of. I'm well known for having the attention span of, well of, of something that's got a short attention span.

:wink:

#28 sisch

sisch

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

(iceaxe)
Hmmm. Maybe that's what I'm afraid of. I'm well known for having the attention span of, well of, of something that's got a short attention span.

:wink:

Look.... shiny things! :mrgreen:

#29 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

(willshetterly)
kkffoo, excellent idea! One approach would be something like a "New Director" category for people who registered for Moviestorm in the last two or three months.

I kinda' like that idea... add a "newest 'n' best" (director) catagory for any competition...

(sisch/iceaxe...)
Look.... shiny things!

...ooh, pointy, shiny things! smile.gif ...wonder if they will fit in my nose...
The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#30 act3scene24

act3scene24

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 857 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:12 PM

(Fulkster)
(willshetterly)

I kinda' like that idea... add a "newest 'n' best" (director) catagory for any competition...

(sisch/iceaxe...)
Look.... shiny things!

...ooh, pointy, shiny things! smile.gif ...wonder if they will fit in my nose...

Awesome! I've had MS for only two and a half months, I barely make that timeframe! :mrgreen: But by the time the competition begins, I'd be past that though. :-o

#31 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:20 AM

I think the new director category should exclude anyone who has previously won a MS competition, or has won another major mach prize (eg the big festivals but not comps from other forums).

Also, I think it is only natural that the MS judges will tend towards those entries which have front page wow factor, and show off the engine to its best advantage to new users, so it might be fun to have more forum competitions also..like Johnnie's bloopers, especially if these were quick to do.
eg
best puppet limbo dance
funniest worst lip synch (like dubbed movies)
best use of a 2D elephant in an emotional scene
most inappropriately lit set

This could free film makers up from trying to be very polished and generate even more creativity. It is also a fun way to learn.

#32 matt

matt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 956 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:32 AM

Over on our Facebook site I've started a discussion about the pros & cons of competitions in general, and touched on the issue of how to deal with the fact that the same names come up again and again. I like your idea for the quirky comps, as they tend not to favour the experienced film-makers.
Matt Kelland
Moviestorm Founder

#33 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:33 AM

(kkffoo)
I it might be fun to have more forum competitions also..like Johnnie's bloopers, especially if these were quick to do.

Great idea :
Well today just happens to be Friday the thirteenth - horror anyone? and tomorrow is Valentine's day. Two perfect excuses for having some fun this weekend...

"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

#34 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

(kkffoo)
I think the new director category should exclude anyone who has previously won a MS competition, or has won another major mach prize (eg the big festivals but not comps from other forums).

Also, I think it is only natural that the MS judges will tend towards those entries which have front page wow factor, and show off the engine to its best advantage to new users, so it might be fun to have more forum competitions also..like Johnnie's bloopers, especially if these were quick to do.
eg
best puppet limbo dance
funniest worst lip synch (like dubbed movies)
best use of a 2D elephant in an emotional scene
most inappropriately lit set

This could free film makers up from trying to be very polished and generate even more creativity. It is also a fun way to learn.

the best thing about this thread is that I am getting to know you a lot better and find we actually agree on a lot of things and I love your idea. i am thinking of running one for the best "Trailer Trash" movie using all the mods some of us are going to make that started with my "Valentine Leg Lamp" mod. Of course the prize would be a case of beer.

#35 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1135 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:09 PM

I'd like to see a Silent Movie competition, i.e. Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, etc.

It could possibly stretch to the occasional monosyllabic utterance as perfected by Jacques Tati...

PN
"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Hosting for the Urban Decay Pack thanks to Ichikaiden ... Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#36 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:13 PM

(Poulet Noir)
I'd like to see a Silent Movie competition, i.e. Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, etc.

It could possibly stretch to the occasional monosyllabic utterance as perfected by Jacques Tati...

I could get behind this idea. One of my favorite movies is Mel Brooks' hilarious (and aptly-titled) Silent Movie, in which only one person has a single word of audible dialogue...

...that person being Marcel Marceau.
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#37 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:00 PM

I also like kkffoo's idea of a 'newcomer' category for each competition. I don't know how easy it'd be for the SF staff to insure that the person has never won a festival competetition before, but, being new to MS (6 months?) and never having won an MS comp before is a great idea. It would easily eleviate that "I don't have a chance in hell..." feeling.

Also, actscene's idea of recreating a script from the Public Domain brings up an idea. Why not have a comp, which awards a rather hefty prize, that gives SF the rights to the film? Then have a Remake/Remix/Interpretation Comp where the winning film's .movie file is accessible to all. This would not only be a battle of creativity but also be a good chance for a 'newcomer' to fiddle around inside of a well done MS movie.

#38 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5383 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:38 AM

I'm 100% in agreement with Sisch on the monologue. It doesn't need to be "a talking head" at all. Could be "no head whatsoever" and just a voice over images.
I think it is by far the hardest - so actually I don't know why I voted for it!

But whatever we go with, is there any way we could have a "Viewer's choice prize" as well as the official MS one? Or would that be too open to abuse?

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#39 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1135 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:24 AM

(primaveranz)
But whatever we go with, is there any way we could have a "Viewer's choice prize" as well as the official MS one? Or would that be too open to abuse?

As far as I can tell, the thumbs-up rating system seems pretty bullet-proof when it comes to being abused (much more so than the 'viewing figures', for sure). The only problem with using it as it stands would be that people could see the voting scores during the voting period (same for the polls, I guess). If these could be hidden until voting closes, we're there!

PN
"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Hosting for the Urban Decay Pack thanks to Ichikaiden ... Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#40 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:04 PM

(primaveranz)

Great idea. And this got me thinking about how movies are judged. Who are the judges? It's never disclosed so I have absolutely no way of knowing who to bribe!

Seriously though, what would be good would be if Shortfuze would select one of their users to sit on the judging panel - obviously a different person for each competition. Naturally that person would not be able to enter the competition.