44 replies to this topic

#41 peet

peet

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Moviestorm @ Aug 12 2010, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Subscribers can now access the very latest version of Moviestorm, ahead of its official release. It’s been a while coming, but it’s absolutely packed with goodies. If you’ve been following our progress behind the scenes in the development blog, you’ll already have a pretty good idea of what to expect with this release. Here’s just a small sample of some of the new features:

- The Dressing Room has a far more flexible and powerful interface for designing your Moviestorm characters.
- There are new characters with morphable sliders to change the shape of different features, or even the ethnic origin and skintone.
- Characters also have different decals for skin detail, makeup, eyebrows, beards, and much more. Some decals can even change color and be moved.
- There are ‘Randomize’ buttons for automatically generating and adjusting a new interesting character.
- In the Set Workshop, the inside and outside faces when placing walls are now clear.
- There’s a new 3d ‘amber-blue’ preview option in the Cutting Room.
- The Color Chooser has been radically enhanced, with an improved wheel and ‘Recent’ selection option.
- Dramatic lighting has been enhanced with a ‘Tri-Directional’ lighting option.

This is still a preview release, so you’ll need a slightly different installation procedure to get it. You’ll find detailed instructions here, along with full release notes. You can, of course, continue to use your existing version of Moviestorm if you prefer, or revert to it if you find problems.

Moviestorm 1.4 will be on general release in a few weeks, and there will be new tutorials showing you how to get the best from all the new features. In the meantime, please give us your feedback and let us know what you think via the feedback forums. (Not here, please, we'd like to keep all the feedback in one place!) Most of the team are on holiday next week, so we may not respond as fast as usual, but as always, we really value your feedback. It would be really useful to find out which bits you found confusing - that will help immensely when it comes to making the new tutorials.

iMac 2.66, 4gb Snow Leopard-------

I'm still having the same crashes (1.3 and 1.4). Scrolling in objects and characters.

Here are some new occurrences:

1) When I add a new scene in script editor in 1.4, it automatically gives me a blank set. I can no longer choose sets.
2) If I exit an MS movie while in the Dressing Room and then try and restart that movie, it crashes and I am unable to use that Movie again. (Only with some movies-some are OK)
3) When I reopen a movie that I have saved in 1.4 some of the key frame settings are mixed up and some characters are in completely different places than they were when the movie was saved. I left a character sitting in a coffee shop and when I reopened MS the character was wandering around off the set and then sat down in a field.

#42 wyrdness1

wyrdness1

Film Critic

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:11 PM

One thing that I noticed in playing with this is that you do not need to have mouth movement set quite as high to get lip sinc... in fact if you have it too high you get some annoying geometry problems - specifically the gums coming through the lips.

#43 jakechief

jakechief

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 360 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

Heres my problem 1.4 has given me. I am alright in creating a set part, but when I click on the character icon, or any icon at all, it says I have a bug!
Radio host of "The Storm Hour" Saturdays at 1 Pacific, 3 Central, 4EST, 9Uk, 10EUR, only on www.tmoaradio.com

#44 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

Make sure your graphics drviers are upto date, this is often the biggest cause of issues. Even if 1.2 or 1.3 worked, a lot changes with anew version so having fully upto date drivers is a good thing

#45 tkd27

tkd27

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 780 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (Chris Ollis @ Aug 14 2010, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We know that, and a lot of users know that, but there will always be people saying "I made my actor fat and now it doesn't work and looks rubbish" which does deter us slightly especially when we have so many other things to do! But I am keen to get them done so fingers crossed....

I completely understand your position on this. IMHO, I think even releasing something usable and slapping "BETA" on it would make most of us very very happy for a long time. The Santa Clause puppet has some intersection issue, but if that was all I had to worry about with an assortment of heavier characters I'd be pleased as punch.

QUOTE (MikeLyons @ Aug 16 2010, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Overall I love the new dressing room -- but I think I might have found a bug when converting puppets from the old heads to the new Universal Heads...

I have a character who sports a goatee and mustache, and when I switched him to the new heads, he retains the old facial hair with no obvious way to turn it off... the new heads' facial hair selections appear to be underneath the old head's facial hair.

Bug of feature? tongue.gif laugh.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif