• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:09 PM

I uploaded the exact same file to both You Tube and here. On You Tube it looks lousy and the sound is lousy. What is the trick for finding the right file type to upload to You Tube. I always convert my files to FLV first anyway but it is better to make a smaller WMV file just for You Tube? I am so frustrated with You Tube. Actually my highest view counts are on Metacafe but I have a lot of people I like to exchange videos with now on You Tube so I want to keep uploading there. But I want my movies to look good.

Here is the url for the You Tube file

The movie is Yesterday, the one I uploaded today and here it is

http://www.moviestor...Servlet?id=1266

You won't believe the difference in how it looks and sounds on You Tube and how great it looks and sounds here.

#2 Synnah

Synnah

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 410 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

I wouldn't personally recommend uploading to Youtube in FLV format, as it doesn't offer the greatest quality to compression ratio, and Youtube will re-encode your video anyway. I suggest uploading an AVI or MOV file, using a codec like XviD or H.264, at the highest bitrate you can get away with, at a size of 640x480 (Or 640x360 if you're uploading a widescreen movie). This way you get the best quality for both the Lo-Res, 320x240 movie, and also for the higher-resolution movies.
---------------------------
Short Fuze QA bloke

#3 RUN415

RUN415

Master Director

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:45 PM

================
Someone posted this link a few weeks ago...

http://www.squidoo.com/youtuberight

Should help clear things up?

#4 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:54 AM

Thanks, both of those were great ideas and since I have Sony Vegas I am pretty sure I can get the right upload quality video made.

#5 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:12 PM

(RUN415)
================
Someone posted this link a few weeks ago...

http://www.squidoo.com/youtuberight

Should help clear things up?

Thanks for your help on this. I did exactly what the above link said to do with my latest movie, Talkin Turkey and still did not get good resolution. I didn't convert to FLV either. I uploaded the HD 264 avi file with the highest bitrate I could do. They still do lousy conversion there. Thanks for your help though. The FLV file here looks better than the higher resolution larger avi file I uploaded to You Tube.

#6 RUN415

RUN415

Master Director

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:33 PM

================
No probs...shame it didn't help...much smile.gif
Hmmm...yeah...that's interesting.
I thought about uploading to Youtube myself...
so I re-read that article to get the headsup.
('Coz my (non MS) films look horrible on there too.)
I concluded, (rather prudently I think) that it's all
too much trouble...and not worth it - so I can't be bothered.
I could be wrong, but perhaps Youtube is better left
to blurry video featuring guys falling off bikes and skateboards?!
(Although I know you get a lot of hits on there.)

Thanks for the reply tho...makes me feel better about ignoring Youtube.

Anyway, good luck.
If you manage to crack it...please post back with the recipe. smile.gif

Cheers
James - RUN415
============

#7 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:57 PM

Well You Tube is great for the connections you make to other people which is why I bother with it at all. I get much better response and loads more views on Metacafe.

The avi file I made that I uploaded to Tube Mogul looks great so far on all the other sites, great resolution. Just not You Tube. I will keep working on a good codec for You Tube though. The funny thing about uploading movies and getting viewers is that the videos that get the most viewers are things like that AniMate Daz dancing puppet I put on a Moviestorm set. I guess the combination of AniMate and Moviestorm really appealed to people. Also any, believe it or not, romance or love story movie does really well everywhere. Like 10 times as many viewers as any other movie I do.

And it has not a lot to do with the quality of the content of the movie either. It also doesn't have a lot to do with how well known a person is who makes the movie. I have some good connections with some fairly well known bands now, but it still doesn't get a lot of views on my own movies. But I am doing my first music video for a band that is getting a lot of views on You Tube, Strive for their song, FIRE. So we will see if that generates more interest. I am really researching this about what gets people to watch movies in the first place,especially online since the majority of my movies are shown online.

It just really is a puzzle since the majority of online viewers are men as to why my romance movies generate so much interest. Don't get me wrong, they are good movies but all of them are long -- all over 30 mintues long and yet people watch them. And it isn't because there is a lot of nudity or sex in them either.

#8 Synnah

Synnah

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 410 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:46 AM

You may find this version of your movie looks a little better:

http://www.youtube.c...s3s2bM6U&fmt=18

I'm not sure why there isn't a link to watch the high-quality version, but if you add '&fmt=18' to the end of the basic URL, you can watch it anyway.
---------------------------
Short Fuze QA bloke

#9 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:19 PM

(Synnah)
You may find this version of your movie looks a little better:

http://www.youtube.c...s3s2bM6U&fmt=18

I'm not sure why there isn't a link to watch the high-quality version, but if you add '&fmt=18' to the end of the basic URL, you can watch it anyway.

That does look better. How did you find that out?I am going to try that with all my movies on You Tube and if it works on all of them, I will put it in my description.

#10 RUN415

RUN415

Master Director

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:04 PM

================
Synnah's handy URL extensions are explained here...

http://www.squidoo.com/youtubehd

================

F I L M S C O R E
GOOD MOVIE MUSIC
And there was much rejoicing...

#11 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:53 AM

(RUN415)
================
Synnah's handy URL extensions are explained here...

http://www.squidoo.com/youtubehd

================

Great thanks. Although I don't want to remove and reupload all the movies I have on You Tube, from now on I am going to upload a higher resolution avi or wmv file to You Tube. That is what I did for Talkin Turkey and it really did improve it a lot.

I wish there were some way I could put an embedded movie on my You Tube Page as I have Motionbox. My url there is http://omdb.us which is my hi res movie site.

I can post links from hi res Motionbox videos I put there on other sites like Facebook and they look fantastic.

#12 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 03:39 PM

Success with You Tube uploads. Here is what I did. I rendered the movie, Friends in my film editing program as an AVI, instead of a WMV at the highest resolution. Since I have 1300 gigs on my hard drives, I can do that kind of thing. It was 19 gigs for a 4 minute film but the quality is fantastic. Then I took that movie and used my DIVX program to convert it to a DIVX file which You Tube can use. I used the size of 640 X 480 for conversion.

It looks fantastic and the little tab that tells you to view in High Quality is right there in green below the screen. And the buffering time is very fast, it played right away on their servers.

So if you would like to take a look at it the url for FRIENDS, music by Vice Romania is

And if you would like more information about how I did this and the exact specifications for rendering the movie in the first place, just answer me here.

I do hope people see this message and read it even though it is by me and I write a lot of messages here most of which get ignored except by people who do want to help me, mostly the staff at Moviestorm and a couple of friends I have here. Because it really will help us out and Moviestorm out too if all our movies out there can be seen in the highest quality possible.

#13 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:35 PM

Couldn't you just render it as a 640x480 DivX out of your editor? It would eliminate a step.
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#14 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:20 PM

I did that also in Sony Vegas and that works too but for some sites the file was too large. DIVX software compressed the same file to 40 megs or less and Sony compressed the same file with the same output attributes to just a bit over 100 megs. But the quality was as good. I could make the resolution smaller to get a smaller file and that will work for a lot of sites. The problem is that now everyone is going to a larger screen without allowing a larger file. Of course I used Sony Vegas Pro to do this. I do not know if there are free movie editing programs that will also render with a good quality for a mpg or avi file.

So for people who can't afford or don't have expensive software, the best price is to purchase the DIVX software which is relatively inexpensive.

#15 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:57 PM

Right, what I'm saying is, once you've installed the DivX codecs, the hooks should be there for your editor to access it for rendering, and you should be able to match the results you get from the stand alone DivX converter. For example, in Vegas, you can choose to render as an .avi, customize your template, select DivX as your video format, then further configure the DivX settings.

To show you what I mean:

Then tweak your settings further in the "Codec" and "Video" tabs to refine your output.

David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#16 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:54 PM

Yes but it is easier to use the DIVX program and I have that and Sony Vegas. All sites do not take DIVX files. I use Tube Mogul and it can't use them, however, I was able in Sony Vegas to render as an mpg2 with the proper sizing for good resolution on the other sites I upload to through Tube Mogul and so far they look pretty good. Not as good as the DIVX on You Tube but not bad at all.

So far it is available on Dailymotion, MySpace, Blip, Metacafe and Imeem and it looks great everywhere.

#17 RUN415

RUN415

Master Director

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:59 AM

=========================
Quick Recipe for YOUTUBE - WMV

This is what I gleaned from some of the links previously mentioned...

=VIDEO=
FORMAT: WMV9
MODE: CBR
RES: 640x480 (Letterbox to preserve wide screen)
PIXEL ASPECT RATIO: 1
FPS: 30
SECONDS PER KEYFRAME: 3
SHARP: 100 (in Vegas)
BITRATE: 1m

=AUDIO=
128 kbps - 44 kHz - Stereo CBR

=========================
You can see the results of this recipe here...
PUDDS
=================
I'm still a li'l displeased with the results - too blurry.
Not that I'm worried...as I'm not too fond of Youtube.
I only uploaded there to try and bring people here...
...hopefully to enlarge our (great) community and
generate revenue for my beloved MS smile.gif
[However unlikely, as my site there is a dismal failure laugh.gif ]
=================
Suggestions or improvements?
...please post.
==============
F I L M S C O R E
GOOD MOVIE MUSIC

#18 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:26 PM

It looks good but yours didn't have the "view in high quality" tag that mine did. I used DIVX so I do not know if that makes a difference or if it is because I have the Director's account. It doesn't cost anything to have that. You just have to fill out all the stuff and add it to your page.

I like You Tube a whole lot more now that my movies look good there. I get a lot of viewers there and I make a lot of connections to friends. And with anywhere else it isn't how many people notice your movies it is WHO notices your movies.

#19 RUN415

RUN415

Master Director

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:40 PM

===============
Thanks Lucinda.
I wondered about that "VIEW IN HIGH QUALITY' fing too.
I thought it may have been due to my upgrading to Flash 10 viewer...
...but maybe it's a DIVX thing?

Yours faithfully,
Moreconfused Thanever smile.gif
=====================

F I L M S C O R E
GOOD MOVIE MUSIC