• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 956 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:05 PM

In case you haven't seen the announcement on our Web site, Short Fuze has commissioned top Sims movie-makers Britannica Dreams to make us some demo movies to show off what Moviestorm can do.

We're all very excited to be working with Michelle and Kheri - if you haven't seen what they've done, go to http://www.britannicadreams.com/ and have a look at their work. Those of you who heard my machinima reviews on the short-lived Machinima Live! podcast last year will know that I am a huge fan of theirs, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what they're going to do.

Matt Kelland
Moviestorm Founder

#2 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:06 AM

Wow, they do great work! I watched "The Snow Witch". I'm anxious to see what they do for Moviestorm!
The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#3 FLeeF

FLeeF

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:50 AM

Smart move on the part of Short Fuse!

Congratulations, Michelle and Kheri. I can't say it enough, ladies: Lead the way! smile.gif
The forecast is - MOVIESTORM!
www.FlingFilms.com My system: WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c -- Intel Core2 Duo 2.44GHz processor -- 2GB RAM -- nVidia GEForce 8800 GTS w/620MB

#4 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:18 AM

Are you sure this is the right time?

Michelle and Keri have a wonderful reputation for the richness of their cinematographyand anyone familiar with M&K's work will have high expectations.

Anyone coming from a sims background is going to expect this to be a movies like program, and will therefore assume any animation sequences shown are shown are programmed in...
....and with the artwork currently available there isn't the possibility of a stun factor (though what there is is high quality no question).

So I'm a bit puzzled
:?

#5 Noelle

Noelle

Director

• Pioneers
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:28 PM

I really don't have much to say so I will just say welcome!

#6 Michelle

Michelle

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! We're absolutely thrilled to be asked to work on Moviestorm smile.gif

kkffoo, I'm not really sure I understand what you mean when you talk about the animation sequences?
My machinima:
http://britannicadreams.com/
More machinima:
http://www.mprem.com/

#7 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:35 PM

Hi Michelle,

Maybe it's my limited time with the program, or a lack of imagination..but everything I'm making so far looks similar VISUALLY to stuff I have made with 'the movies'.

It FEELS completely different to use the program, and I believe the potential is amazing.

I am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with because it will give me some ideas & insight into what is possible.

I'm so used to being led by custom content (sims) & colour and pattern and design , and moviestorm is..at the moment (for me)..more about movement..putting the basics in place....the camera angles...timing..the dialogue.

Watching your work I am dazzled by the artwork..the contrasts..shapes and texture...I am unable to make the imaginative leap to see what you will do with MS..as it is...

Which I guess, is the purpose of a demonstration video!

I'm reasoning that my confusion and bafflement right now is a symptom of dealing with something new...which mean MS is something new. smile.gif

(walks away rubbing sore parts of brain)

#8 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:11 PM

Do we have any idea when we might see some example footage?

I certainly look forward to seeing what MS can produce (in the hands of experienced 'machinimators'), as so far I have seen very little (and created none of my own, at this time).

As I said... Looking forward to it! smile.gif

#9 Michelle

Michelle

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:24 PM

Hi kkffoo smile.gif.

The important thing for me at the moment is the massive potential of Moviestorm for machinima.

The Sims community is going to be a hard one to crack - simmers are fiercely loyal to the brand and we've been spoiled with the amount of custom content available, but it's taken a couple of years to get to that stage. When The Movies was released it attracted a whole group of people new to machinima, as I'm sure Moviestorm will.

Storytelling is definitely at the heart of machinima for us, so we're looking forward to attempting some dialogue pieces, we generally avoided those with TS2 because of the lack of lipsynching.

You're not alone however, new program always = brainache for me!

My machinima:
More machinima:

#10 Toriel

Toriel

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:37 PM

Welcome to both of you!
It's always nice to see our interest and the programmer's work validated by people who are well known for their nice work.

I'm sure your feedback and suggestions will make MovieStorm a better program.
My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely.

May the Muses inspire you today.

#11 Michelle

Michelle

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:42 PM

Thanks, Toriel smile.gif

BiggsTrek, we're working on it - can't say for sure when you'll see it at the moment though. Have you seen any Moviestorm screenshots yet?
My machinima:
More machinima:

#12 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:56 PM

Michelle welcome aboard!

I have also looked at your work and have been amazed you have been able to "trick" your Sims into a performance. Unless you are making a Disney "True Life Adventure" film, a filmmaker should not have to trick a performance or story out of a character as you have to do with the Sims. Given your artistry shown already and your focus on storytelling, I will interested to study what films you come up with.
"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations" - Orson Welles

Pineapple Pictures
http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/

#13 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:23 PM

Thanks Michelle, that was just what I needed smile.gif
I jumped at the chance to beta-test this program, because of the potential for creating dialogue scenes...and yet somehow given the chance to do that I've been utterly confused.

Focus on the dialogue...slaps head and smiles.

#14 BiggsTrek

BiggsTrek

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:06 PM

(Michelle)
Thanks, Toriel smile.gif

BiggsTrek, we're working on it - can't say for sure when you'll see it at the moment though. Have you seen any Moviestorm screenshots yet?

Michelle,

I had about a fifteen minute "play" with MS yesterday, and apart from that, the only movies I've seen from it were one that steel uploaded to Google (tsk tsk) and another very short one from my friend fulkster (fellow beta tester-in-training!)

Hoping to get stuck into it on the weekend, but it will take me a while to adapt to it (I come from the 'The Movies' environment).

But would really like to see some examples made by those that know the software AND know how to make a good film! (Not always easy companions... especially this early in the beta testing stage.)

Please let me know when you have something to show!

smile.gif

#15 jleao

jleao

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:24 AM

Looking forward to see what you can do with Moviestorm. Welcome aboard. Great work on your site, congratulations.

#16 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:40 AM

Check out the 'movie ideas/movie posts' thread as we're allowed to post our movies there to await approval.

Fulkster's is cool smile.gif

As it worked out I couldn't get the lip syncing to work with this week's beta release, but having had this discussion seemed to free me up to try other things.

#17 Kheri

Kheri

Wannabe film-maker

• Pioneers
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

Hello everyone ...
I know this is a very late response to this. One excuse I have ready is that having weekends off from work is a relatively new concept for me laugh.gif Now, with the extra free time on my hands, I have no legit argument to make in response to Michelle gently chiding me on not being active in the community.

So, once again, Hello, I'm the silent half of Britannica Dreams, and I wanted to say to Matt that I have been a long-time fan of his, and Michelle and I are "chuffed" :wink: to be given this chance to be a part of Moviestorm.

At the moment we are both busy trying to familiarize ourselves with the program, working through the bugs, and brainstorming on what film to create with this awesome "tool". Michelle insists I'm going to come up with a brilliant idea for a great story ... where's the coffee?

#18 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:27 PM

Hi Kheri it's great to meet you smile.gif, hope you will enjoy being part of the forum.

#19 StoryOfSelena

StoryOfSelena

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:32 PM

I enjoy Michelle and Kheri's videos. I'm a big fan of their video: Scars and Souvenirs. I found their videos from www.machinima.com. I found out about Moviestorm because of their website. They also have an excellent tutorial.

Cheers!

Story of Selena Videos:
www.youtube.com/storyofselena