• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:08 PM

This tutorial has been updated, please see toward the bottom of the page. Thank you! smile.gif

Just look for all the images of the Juliet Dress.

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#2 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:33 PM

Many thanks squirrelygirl,
Another cool how-to, that would happily sit in the moviestorm WIKI how-tos so it's not going to be lost.

?No pictures/illustrations ;-0 ... I'll have to read carefully :-)

#3 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:12 AM

Thanks, tree! smile.gif

I didn't even think about illustration. Perhaps I'll work on a video tutorial for this. I, for one, find video tutorials easier than a lot of reading, especially on the comupter. smile.gif

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#4 ed

ed

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:27 AM

I like words that explain the process, illustrated by screenshots/images that have red rings around the important bits to click on :-)

#5 D.L. Watson

D.L. Watson

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 559 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:55 AM

Fantastic! Definitely gonna help me out for sure.

#6 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:30 AM

Words and pictures work great for me too Sq...I am so slow and videos seem to whizz along.

#7 celestina

celestina

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 379 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:51 AM

Thank you so much for going to so much effort for us... I will give it a try smile.gif

Images would help me too smile.gif We want blood don't we.... laugh.gif

This link will take you there: Celestina's Texture Collections ... COUNTRY COLLECTION Ready Now!

#8 roguevirus

roguevirus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 703 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

Nice one you small furry rodent girl wink.gif gonna have 2 read this myself the old brain don't retain info that well these days and i'm guessing with 1.3 there's some changes.

#9 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:37 PM

Many thanks for this, certainly very useful info and well written, I do agree some screenshots to clarify certain areas of the tutorial would certainly be welcome. Thanks for sharing this info with us biggrin.gif

#10 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

Your all very welcome! I'll add screen shots as soon as I'm finished modding the costumes in Wardrobe 01, I have 10 costumes left to mod. I'm trying to go for the uniformity thing that rogue mentioned so I'm matching some of the shirts under the jackets to some of the shirts I modded and matching the pants up too. But I promise as soon as I finish this set of mods I will add screen shot to my instructions. smile.gif

Thank you smile.gif

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#11 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (roguevirus @ May 13 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice one you small furry rodent girl wink.gif gonna have 2 read this myself the old brain don't retain info that well these days and i'm guessing with 1.3 there's some changes.

There were some huge changes with the Modders Workshop. The biggest thing I noticed with the costumes is that we can't copy them anymore, only rename them. The old costumes still show up in MS when you go to change a character's clothes, but they don't show up in the Master Browser in the Modders Workshop, only the costume you renamed. It's kind of a pain because it means if you want to mod the same costume twice, like make a set of 1980s clothes then make a set of 1970s clothes you'll have to pack your first of clothes, save the addon file somewhere, download the addon file to MS then go in the modders workshop and rename the costume to make the 1970s clothes. I haven't tried modding any other MS assets, like their coffee cups or furniture, but I assume it's probably going to be the same.

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#12 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (squirrelygirl @ May 13 2010, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There were some huge changes with the Modders Workshop. The biggest thing I noticed with the costumes is that we can't copy them anymore, only rename them. The old costumes still show up in MS when you go to change a character's clothes, but they don't show up in the Master Browser in the Modders Workshop, only the costume you renamed. It's kind of a pain because it means if you want to mod the same costume twice, like make a set of 1980s clothes then make a set of 1970s clothes you'll have to pack your first of clothes, save the addon file somewhere, download the addon file to MS then go in the modders workshop and rename the costume to make the 1970s clothes. I haven't tried modding any other MS assets, like their coffee cups or furniture, but I assume it's probably going to be the same.

I found that all I need to do is give the bodypart a new name and hit save. Then move your newly named bodypart to your own directory using the right click.

Even better, make your new bodypart both tintable and imagable. Then you can just click on it in the runtime and load a new JPEG texture (only diffuse though dry.gif ). When you load a JPEG, it has the same mapping as the internal DDS files. Just find the DDS file(s) for your bodypart, and make additional JPEGS of them to suit your fancy. Heads work just fine as well. If you need a head and body to have matching texture (like scales or something) you must make the body texture 2 to 3 times larger so that the images match up in size across the body parts.

#13 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (rampa @ May 14 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found that all I need to do is give the bodypart a new name and hit save. Then move your newly named bodypart to your own directory using the right click.

Even better, make your new bodypart both tintable and imagable. Then you can just click on it in the runtime and load a new JPEG texture (only diffuse though dry.gif ). When you load a JPEG, it has the same mapping as the internal DDS files. Just find the DDS file(s) for your bodypart, and make additional JPEGS of them to suit your fancy. Heads work just fine as well. If you need a head and body to have matching texture (like scales or something) you must make the body texture 2 to 3 times larger so that the images match up in size across the body parts.

Thank you, rampa! I will give that a try. If giving the bodypart a new name then saving makes a copy of it then I will definently update that.

I don't use JPEG textures for modding clothes I just change the original dds. then save as a dds., but I bet a lot of people will be interested in how that's done. Could you make a post with the instructions? And maybe add that tintable and imagable part? I bet it will be very helpful and if you had the instructions in a new forum post they could find it easier. Not that you don't have enough to do with your modding and teaching classes, but if you have the time. smile.gif

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#14 alonzo11208

alonzo11208

Master Director

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:04 PM

Actually I found PNGs to be better in terms of resolution/quality.

You can add a PNG version of the modded texture, the same way outlined by Squirrely, instead you make sure that the "name_costume_01_Diff.dds" is instead "name_costume_01_Diff.PNG". I've a picture below of a modded costume, using a PNG file:

Also, not at the bottom in the material listing that there are multiples of the same costume. This is how you can create varients of one costume, instead of creating a whole new mod folder.

1.) When you have chosen you're costume, click on th ADD MATERIAL botton and add which ever one you modded, whether is Leathers_01[1] or Leathers_01_Tint[1].

2.) Once you've added the material, click on it and in the NAME box, change the name to something simialr or add something to the name, which you know wil only be used once. (Or in any other event, replace the number in the bracket to another IE: 01[2], Tint[2], etc etc)

3.) Having finshed changing the name, using the instructions by Squirrelygirl to change the texture in the diffuse box, do the same. (Make sure that when you use another texture, it so has a different name (IE: "name_costume_02_Diff.dds/png, "name_costume_03_Diff.dds/png etc etc)

4.) Hit the save button and then publish your pack.

5.) And VOILA! You've got a varient of your costume!

Hope that helps! If there are any problems PM.

((Ironic....not long ago, I couldnt figure out how the hell to mod the name costumes...now Im writiing instructions on making different variations tongue.gif ))

Shadows of Fire
Shadows of Fire Encyclopedia

Creater of Shadows of Fire

#15 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:54 PM

You can do a lot better than steps 10-17

9. Scroll down to Juliet. LEFT click on the word Juliet. Wait till the costume appears. (just as before)
10. Change the Current AddOn drop down list, on the tool bar at the top (you might have to move the Master Browser to see it), so that it shows the name of your new addon you are making.
11. In the bottom panel of the master browser, in the Name: field, change the name of the costume.
12. Hit Save to save your modified bodypart into the current addon
13. Hover over the new bodypart that has appeared - it should show a tooltip with the new location.

Attached Files

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#16 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:24 PM

Thank you, Ben! I'll get on changing that and add some pictures asap! smile.gif

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#17 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:36 AM

In order to include all the images for the Costume Tutorial I will need to make a few posts. So here goes...

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#18 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:37 AM

I've updated this tutorial to include pictures and Ben_S's steps. Thank you Ben! smile.gif

As requested here is MY step by step how to guide on modding costumes. I say MY because it's not exactly what's in the Wiki and there may be people who think this is not exactly how it should be done, but it works for me. It may be a bit of a pain, but it took me a while to figure this out with the new Modders Workshop and not break MS in the process. FYI I broke MS 4 times while trying to get the steps down, but I've ironed all the kink out now and haven't had a problem since.

For all you modding vetran's out there I apologize in advance, but I'm going to assume that you, like me when I started, have no idea what you're doing.

So you want to mod a costume...

1. Chose the costume you want to mod. For argument's sake we will be modding the Juliet costume located in Wardrobe 01. If you don't have Wardrobe 01 that's okay because this will work for any costume.

2. Create a new folder and file path.

A. I have a PC with Windows Vista so you will have to find the MS Addons folder, but mine is located ACER (C:)/Program Files (x86)/Moviestorm-1.3

B. Open the Addon folder

C. Create a new folder and give it a file name. Right now I'm modding sets of clothes similar to 1980s fashion so while modding Wardobe 01 I named my folder Wardrobe 01 80s, but you can chose whatever name you want, but keep in mind that you don't want to use a name that MS used or possibly will use in the future.

D. Create a file path.

I. Open your new folder. Create a new folder inside this one called Data. Open Data and create Puppets. Open Puppets and create Female01. Open Female01 and create Costumes. Open Costumes and create F01_Juliet. Open F01_Juliet and create Textures. This is where you will place your modded costume file, after you mod it of course. (Remember this is for the Juliet costume if you are modding a different costume you will need a different file path. If the costume is in Wardorbe 02 you will need to start out with Wardobe 02 same goes for Metro Style or any other costume. If it's for a Male puppet you will need a folder marked Male01 and not Female01.)

3. My computer will not allow me to save a modded file directly into the Addon section so in my Documents I create a My Modded Costumes folder. For argument's sake I will assume that you too have created a folder for your costumes in your Documents file or somewhere else on your computer.

4. Open Photoshop or whatever program you use to mod dds. files. Import F01_Juliet_Diff which can be found under C:/Program Files/Moviestorm-1.3/Addons/Wardrobe01/Data/Puppets/Female01/Costumes/F01_Juliet/Textures (the location may be a bit different on your computer)

5. F01_Juliet_Diff is an image of the dress, shoes, and belt. Keep that in mind when modding. The shoes are located between the straps of the dress. You can paint the dress, which I don't suggest since the dress is tintable anyway. You can bring in a texture for the dress. If you put the texture over the entire image the shoes will also be this texture. You can cut the dress out and put your texture under it.

Original F01_Juliet_Diff

If you stretch the texture to fit the entire costume

The shoes will appear with the texture

Make sure your textures are placed correctly if you're changing everything in the diff

6. When you're finished modding F01_Juliet_Diff save it to the folder you created in your Documents folder with a new variation of the name as in F01_Juliet_My_Diff or whatever you chose.

7. Open the Modders Workshop and LOG IN as a publisher

8. In the Master Browser LEFT click the + sign next to Models then LEFT click the + sign next to Puppets then LEFT click the + sign next to Female01 then LEFT click the + sign next to Body Parts. Wait till the list of body parts appears.

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#19 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:38 AM

9. Scroll down to Juliet. LEFT click on the word Juliet. Wait till the costume appears.

IMPORTANT
If you do not follow the rest of the directions carefully you may break MS and have to reinstall it.

10. Change the Current AddOn drop down list, on the tool bar at the top (you might have to move the Master Browser to see it), so that it shows the name of your new addon you are making.

11. In the bottom panel of the master browser, in the Name: field, change the name of the costume.

Original Name

New Name

12. Hit Save to save your modified bodypart into the current addon

13. Refresh the Browser so the new costume will appear in the Master Browser

14. Hover over the new bodypart that has appeared - it should show a tooltip with the new location.

15. Close the Modders Workshop

16. Copy and paste your modded file (F01_Juliet_My_Diff or whatever name you gave it) into your new addon folder (MAKE SURE YOU'RE PLACING THE DIFF FILE INTO THE TEXTURE FOLDER). The same folder that you just moved the Juliet costume into from the Modders Workshop.

20. Open the Modders Workshop and LOG IN as a publisher.

21. Locate the renamed Juliet costume in the Master Browser. LEFT Click on the costume. Wait until it appears. At th bottom of the Master Browser the file information for the Juliet costume (same with any other costume) should appear. Scroll down to locate the part of the costume you have modded. For the Juliet dress it will be Costumes/F01_Juliet/F01_Juliet. LEFT click on this. A window will appear. This is where you add your modded Diff file into the Modders Workshop. There will buttons on the LEFT and RIGHT of the window. Next to the button on the LEFT marked Diffuse is the name of the original file. Change the file name to your modded file name. EXAMPLE Juliet_Diff becomes Juliet_01_Diff or whatever name you gave your modded file.

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#20 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:38 AM

22. Look at the CURRENT ADDON selected at the top of the screen. You should see the name of YOUR Addon Folder. If it is NOT there please go back to step 10 and repeat through 21. If the Modders Workshop is selected in the Current Addon window and you click publish you will break MS and have to reinstall.

23. If YOUR Addon Folder is selected in the Current Addon window everything is a go. Make sure you are LOGGED IN as a publisher. LEFT click the save button at the bottom of the Master Browser to save a thumbnail of your new costume. Then LEFT click PUBLISH at the top of the screen. A window will appear. Make sure Requires a License is NOT checked then LEFT click publish again.

24. Your new costume should be available in MS.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any difficulties or need further assistance.

Happy Modding! smile.gif

modsnmore_logo.jpg