• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

Sorry for more noob questions, but I'm having trouble with cameras and lip-sync.

When I create a target camera, it doesn't follow the actor - I get the impression from reading the pdf tutorial that it will, however.

I'm having a hard time selecting the camera in director view in order to move it... it should be selectable, right? I'm still quite confused as to the use of the cameras, I wish I could just click them in the timeline to edit them too. Moving cameras is still beyond me at this point, and it's getting annoying. I just want to click on it and move it, drat it. I've been looking for a modifier key so I can move it, but I haven't found one yet. If it's a target camera, I would expect it to keep focus on the actor to which it's attached, a freecam would have to be adjusted in more detail after such a move in Director's view.

On the interface, it would be nice if clicking anywhere outside the camera preview window when it's expanded would close it, or a keyboard shortcut, to expedite the process.

I brought in some audio, I had the character selected, but he doesn't mouth the words. I didn't quite get the typed-in text accurate, but there's text in the box so his mouth should move, or did I miss something?

I'm feeling stupid today, not from anything I did today, it was yesterday that made me this way today...
Thanks for your help.

#2 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

I haven't read the pdf tutorial Bman, but there's a possibility it might be out of date. Things change so quickly.
Don't feel dumb about the cameras, they work really well but it's one of the things that takes a while to get used to.
I'm not sure exactly what you're doing, but it sounds like you're trying to move the camera icons on set?
It's hard to explain..I'm sure someone else can say more clearly...you need to be in camera view, and then use your mouse within an individual camera view..then 'set' that point by clicking on a tick icon.
You're actually looking at a picture of what the camera is seeing when you do this and all the mouse buttons work..including holding down the middle button to pan...roll middle button to move up and down....right button rotate etc

#3 twak

twak

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

Heya BongoMan!
(bongoman)
When I create a target camera, it doesn't follow the actor - I get the impression from reading the pdf tutorial that it will, however.

The cameras move using the idea of keyframes (like waypoints) - you drop a few of them through time and the camera follows them. Strangely enough you add keyframes in the camera view* by clicking on the "Set up a new shot" button (top left). It'll all go dark and you can move the camera around - click on the "?" icon for help & green tick to confirm. This will set the camera location for the current time (specified by the the marker on the time line). Repeat for other times and you've got a moving camera.

* Once you've added a camera you get to the camera view by clicking its viewport in the list on the right hand side of the screen.

(bongoman)
On the interface, it would be nice if clicking anywhere outside the camera preview window when it's expanded would close it, or a keyboard shortcut, to expedite the process.

I like this idea smile.gif

(bongoman)
I brought in some audio, I had the character selected, but he doesn't mouth the words. I didn't quite get the typed-in text accurate, but there's text in the box so his mouth should move, or did I miss something?

Does the audio play in moviestorm (we only take WAVs at the moment)? Turning the "lip strength movement" up on the lip sync sometimes helps

(bongoman)
Thanks for your help.

we aim to please wink.gif
-- twak

#4 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:56 PM

Great, thanks both of you for the help, it's very useful.
I now have a moving camera, and understand the timeline relationship to the camera positions.
(There should be support for moving the cameras in director view with a modifier key though)

The sound files were .ogg actually, and I was very impressed to see that Moviestorm would (or Will) convert the file on the fly for me, a smart feature. I messed with the lip strength, still no result, so it must be the format... although I can hear it playing back in-game...?

I'll try out some WAV files next, and fiddle some more, I'll get it working.

#5 FLeeF

FLeeF

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:00 AM

The cameras have another cool feature: once you have keyframed the camera at a certain point in the timeline you can left click on an actor while viewing through the camera window. This places a crosshair (intersecting vertical and horizontal lines) on the actor at the point where you clicked. Now when the actor moves to another place on the stage, you can create a new keyframe down the timeline and make the camera snap to the actor in his new location.

This locks the camera on an actor's head, or feet, or hips. And as he/she moves it follows that body/body part.

Hope this isn't too confusing. I've never tried to verbalize the technique and would probably never have noticed it if I hadn't watched Matt demonstrate it.
The forecast is - MOVIESTORM!
www.FlingFilms.com My system: WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c -- Intel Core2 Duo 2.44GHz processor -- 2GB RAM -- nVidia GEForce 8800 GTS w/620MB

#6 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:05 PM

More questions on the basics... I can't see the various camera timelines in the main lower timeline. How do I edit the times at which a camera cuts from one to the other? I have 2 cameras in the scene, so I have the 2 windows in right corner... without seeing their respective timelines in the main timeline, how do I know? I can't seem to uncollapse the camera icon to see them, if thats where they are...?

I'm having a hard time with 'Look At'... it's hard to define what he's looking at. He's alone on the set, I want him to look at the Camera. When I finally found a way to choose what he's looking at, I could only choose no-one or a character I wasn't using in scene. How do you get the character to look at the camera? Also, how do I get the character to look at a piece of paper or computer screen?
Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for all your help.

#7 FLeeF

FLeeF

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:16 PM

Not sure about beta 2.0 so I don't want to possibly confuse you with cutting to a camera. I'll let someone else answer that.

There always needs to be something on the stage for the actor to look at (in beta 1.4.3 actors can't look at the camera. It may still be that way in 2.0.

To make an actor look at an item (computer for example) make sure that actor is selected in the character menu on the left and then right click on the computer. One of your menu choices should be "Look At." then just move further down to the desired place on the timeline and right click the item again. there should now be a "Stop Looking At" choice.
The forecast is - MOVIESTORM!
www.FlingFilms.com My system: WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c -- Intel Core2 Duo 2.44GHz processor -- 2GB RAM -- nVidia GEForce 8800 GTS w/620MB

#8 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:23 AM

Cutting to a camera doesn't appear to have changed from 1.4.3 to 2.0 (I've glanced a bit at 2.0, but my current project is 1.4.3-based). There are two ways that I know of to cut between cameras: from the camera viewport, you can scroll along the timeline until you get to your cut point, then click "insert a cut to this camera" (icon looks like a strip of film and a pair of scissors); or, from the Director's View, right click on the camera timeline (the topmost track), and you should be presented with a "Cut To:" option with all the cameras in the scene in a flyout.

And looking at the camera hasn't been implemented yet. Revdoug posted a workaround here: http://www.moviestor...s/list/677.page

My project has two "look at the camera" moments, and I literally have one puppet assigned as a stagehand (in fact, I named him "Stagehand Steve") to stand (or sit as the case may be) behind a camera position as an eyeline target, then run like the dickens to a far corner of the set to stay out of the frame when I cut to another camera.
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#9 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:36 AM

Ha ha ha thats hilarious Equinox. I'll use the running dude to fix my actor's eye upon when he scans the horizon.
Thanks for all the timely advice.

And the audio problem was that it was an ogg format I guess. WAV imports and audio recording are fine.

#10 twak

twak

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:35 PM

Have just hacked in a "look at the camera" command - if QA likes it, it'll be in the next release. The effect is nicely startling, best two lines of code I've written all day. Right click on a camera to show the option.

http://www.moviestor...geServlet?id=82

Keep the reminders/suggestions coming guys (it keeps us from working on the dull stuff wink.gif )
-- twak

#11 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:08 PM

That's brilliant TWAK, should save a bit of time :mrgreen:
Does the puppet track the camera if he or the camera moves?

#12 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:32 PM

HOOHAAA, that's the ticket! Looks perfect Twak!
I'll use the functional but hilarious Equinox method in the meantime, I almost want to do a little flick about all the poor models who have to run like the dickens to get out of the way of the camera, but they'd obviously be too out of breath for any meaningful dialogue...smile.gif

#13 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

I'm having problems maintaining facial expression continuity when I add dialogue. Is there a technique, perhaps adding all dialogue before expressions are applied to a character?

I created a character with a mean look on his face, as soon as I applied the dialogue, his expression became blank.

I'm missing a little detail again, I think. Any advice?
Thanks for all your help.

#14 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:31 PM

(twak)
Have just hacked in a "look at the camera" command - if QA likes it, it'll be in the next release. The effect is nicely startling, best two lines of code I've written all day. Right click on a camera to show the option.

http://www.moviestor...geServlet?id=82

Keep the reminders/suggestions coming guys (it keeps us from working on the dull stuff wink.gif )

twak, this a great tool to have. You are a coding wonder. Thank you very much!
"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations" - Orson Welles

Pineapple Pictures
http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/

#15 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

Twak = coding wonderboy, hmm, there ought to be a costume for that..something in spandex.. :mrgreen: