• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:39 PM

I'm having problems maintaining facial expression continuity when I add dialogue. Is there a technique, perhaps adding all dialogue before expressions are applied to a character?

I created a character with a mean look on his face, as soon as I applied the dialogue, his expression became blank.

I'm missing a little detail again, I think. Any advice?
Thanks for all your help.

#2 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:30 PM

I haven't noticed that at all with my characters. I kind of have the opposite problem, they keep their moods even when I want them to change. So I tend to minimize all improvisation. However, what did you choose on the character sheet for your characters facial expressions? I have found that whatever mood you choose on the character sheet, the puppet will keep it through the scene.

#3 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:44 PM

Thanks lucindamc123, I'll try that. I just added some dialog to a walking actor that has a camera on him; after the audio was added, the camera went nuts, it seemed to have completely new keyframes, only the 1st remained the same... and, as I mentioned, the expression went blank, but now it's happened again... any one else have this problem?

#4 CPT Destroyer

CPT Destroyer

Master Director

• Banned
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:31 AM

I'm having the same problem too. I want a character to have an excited look on his face while he talks, but he doesn't. He has the look on his face before he speaks, but once he opens his mouth, his expression goes blank.

#5 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:45 PM

(CPT Destroyer)
I'm having the same problem too. I want a character to have an excited look on his face while he talks, but he doesn't. He has the look on his face before he speaks, but once he opens his mouth, his expression goes blank.

YES, I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Are you running the software as I am, a bit below specifications (my graphics card is out-dated, but runs the software)? I wonder if that's the problem, as Lucindamc123 said she hasn't experienced this...?

Have you added dialog to an actor that has a target camera animating around him/her? When I do it, the camera keyframe go nuts, and I have to re-do all the camera keyframes.

#6 CPT Destroyer

CPT Destroyer

Master Director

• Banned
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:47 PM

I'm running it on he highest settings, as I have a high-end PC. I haven't tried animating the camera, I was using a stationary camera locked on to someone.

#7 DavidB

DavidB

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 793 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

hey, QA team, does this ring any bells?

official comment?

:-)
David J W Bailey ACA MA MSc GIBiol MInstD

blog.david.bailey.net www.twitter.com/davidjwbailey www.flickr.com/people/davidjwbailey

#8 Michelle

Michelle

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 238 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:00 PM

I few things I have noticed is that with some gestures/facial expressions that use the head and combined with dialogue, is that the lip sync tool takes priority and you "lose" the gesture, which QA know about already.

I've found if I put the sliders up to the max on the character sheet and turn improvisation off that the facial expression with lip sync remains. For the gestures that use facial expressions, you can prolong these by extending them on the gesture window (drag out the blue timeline) or if they have a follow on option (also on the gesture window, bottom left) is that some of them are looped.

My machinima:
http://britannicadreams.com/
More machinima:
http://www.mprem.com/

#9 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:48 AM

(Michelle)
I've found if I put the sliders up to the max on the character sheet and turn improvisation off that the facial expression with lip sync remains. For the gestures that use facial expressions, you can prolong these by extending them on the gesture window (drag out the blue timeline) or if they have a follow on option (also on the gesture window, bottom left) is that some of them are looped.

Thanks so much. I'll try that tonight, cheers

Well this probably sounds like a stupid question, I saw the improvisations options checkbox somewhere, but I can't find it... would it not be here, is there a glitch in my system? Where do you find it?

#10 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:47 AM

In the Gestures popup window, I can't select the improvisation option, does it work for you?
Maybe it is a problem with my install...?

#11 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:16 AM

Did you mod that stripey face B'man? smile.gif

#12 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:31 AM

The improvisations tick in the gesturiser should probably be taken out, as it is disabled (and I dont recall it ever working).

If you want to stop characters from improvising, turn down their Melodrama and Expressiveness to zero on their character sheet. [Bongoman has them both set to max in his screenshot.]

I suspect the sliders being refered to in 'if i put the sliders up to max' would only be the ones controling the facial expressions.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#13 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to find a balance in the Performance settings I guess. Michelle mentioned setting them high, and I must admit I've been inclined to set them that way from the outset, so I'll test them out some more. Problem is, I like how the actor looks with full disgust on.

KKffoo, I edited the face texture, I found them here: C:\Program Files\Moviestorm-Beta-2\AddOn\Base\Data\Puppets\Male01\Heads\Euro\Textures now I'm stuck with him that way, I forgot to make a copy, lol
I found that they wisely blended the body skin tex with the face tex, unlike other programs where there's a cut line dividing them. His blue face blends nicely to skin colour on his neck.

#14 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:25 AM

Melodrama and Expressiveness are completely separate to the facial sliders. They affect which improvisations are played. I think expressiveness is a mesure of how often they play, and different animations have different settings for how melodramatic they are (low melodrama leaves less choice).
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#15 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

NOTHING I do seems to make much difference.

Facial expressions still go blank whenever the puppet talks.

I GUESS this is my system, as I don't see a lot of other people complaining about it... the only thing I can think of to check is the version of Java I'm running...?

Some advice from the devs would be useful about now... thanks, please?

#16 Michelle

Michelle

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:37 PM

(bongoman)
NOTHING I do seems to make much difference.

Facial expressions still go blank whenever the puppet talks.

I GUESS this is my system, as I don't see a lot of other people complaining about it... the only thing I can think of to check is the version of Java I'm running...?

Some advice from the devs would be useful about now... thanks, please?

From my understanding, any gestures that use the head will not take priority over lip sync...I believe they are working to fix this. If you turn the sliders on the character sheet up to the max, are they still losing the facial expression (surprised/angry face etc)?
My machinima:
http://britannicadreams.com/
More machinima:
http://www.mprem.com/

#17 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:53 AM

Yes, the face looses all the expression at the moment the talking begins.
I'm using JSE Runtime environment 5.0 11... I've tried with sliders down, off (not much difference there) and full on.
I'd like to make a movie with Moviestorm, but I'm waiting to see if this bug can be fixed first.

#18 Dick Swayze

Dick Swayze

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:52 PM

I've logged a design request in our database on your behalf, as ms issue 1233. In order for the two drives to co-exist rather than one super ceding the other.

Cheers
D

#19 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:58 PM

(Dick Swayze)
I've logged a design request in our database on your behalf, as ms issue 1233. In order for the two drives to co-exist rather than one super ceding the other.

Cheers
D

Thanks a lot for that. I can't wait to make a movie with this, so I'll post one soon.

#20 reanimator666

reanimator666

Wannabe film-maker

• Pioneers
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:15 PM

I'm in the process of making my first movie. It has a long piece to camera in BCU. Thanks to the almost total lack of expression and movement I'm going to have to use some nifty editing. OTOH the lip sync is uncannily good! I'm using a typed script with the audio.

By the way, just in case it isn't incredibly obvious, you can copy a bunch of text and paste it using Ctrl+V into the relevant window.
Rob

The picture is only there to keep the sound in sync.