72 replies to this topic

#41 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (corthew @ Jan 23 2012, 04:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed. I am a poor judge of my own stuff. If its good enough to interest someone with no connection to it then the nomination has a bit more substance than if it's just me liking what I did.smile.gif

I am very critical of my own work which is why it takes me over a year to make a full length feature film. But I think it is good to promote yourself and be proud of your work and have self confidence. If you aren't going to do that then no one else will.

#42 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1134 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

I'm pretty much with Mefune on his "anything by Mellowhardy" stance, but I'd particularly recommend

The Yalla Davay Song

for its sheer energy, joy, mild spookiness and fantastic lighting & camerawork smile.gif
"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Hosting for the Urban Decay Pack thanks to Ichikaiden ... Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#43 Captaintank27

Captaintank27

Upcoming director

• Staff
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

Hey folks

Thanks again for the feedback on these movies. Its truly staggering the amount of awesome films this community has created.

I understand those who dont wish to recommend there own movies but remember you can still PM if you want to see your work in the hall of fame.

Tank out.

#44 andy_price

andy_price

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 986 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

I would like to nominate Death in Venice

forumsig.png

#45 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:20 AM

Fantastic by Angryblack is an amazing video. I just saw it. Brilliantly done!

Definitely worth a nomination!
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#46 162

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Jan 23 2012, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am very critical of my own work which is why it takes me over a year to make a full length feature film. But I think it is good to promote yourself and be proud of your work and have self confidence. If you aren't going to do that then no one else will.

Same here. Also....maybe suggesting your own work would be okay....Y'know. A hint, hint, nudge nudge?

Oh, right, my turn.

Um...I second Star Wrek....I also like Mufune's "Cleaners" episode 1.....There was a short horror piece squrrellygirl did....I can't seem to find it, so I'm not sure about the title. It was called "Nightmare Tales" or something along the lines of that. It was about a serial killer's ghost coming back to haunt a cop. I also recommend Psychosis and Klown.

#47 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1134 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:09 AM

We mustn't forget Luxaeternam's jaw-dropping spaghetti western collaboration with Quasimodder, entitled "You Dig Quasimodder" ohmy.gif
"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Hosting for the Urban Decay Pack thanks to Ichikaiden ... Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#48 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3273 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

I am starting to wonder if this might be a really bad idea.

I mean I know I have forgotten some really good movies, and there some I remember but don't know the names of.
How are people going to feel to be left out of this? Especially if they see some dodgy self nominated movies in the list sent to Cap'n tank via IM ?

This is a hodge podge list based on the remaining memory cells of whoever happens to log in this week...but what happens is it winds up looking like some official list of 'ms best movies' and surely that just winds up with hurt feelings whatever happens?

#49 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5257 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

And as far as unfinished masterpieces go this one by that black chicken bloke must be mentioned!
wink.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#50 kibishipaul

kibishipaul

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 427 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Jan 25 2012, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a hodge podge list based on the remaining memory cells of whoever happens to log in this week...but what happens is it winds up looking like some official list of 'ms best movies' and surely that just winds up with hurt feelings whatever happens?

To some extent I agree with kkffoo. All of this is a bit vague and iffy. Does MS have an idea of how many movies it wants in this 'Hall of Fame'? Is anyone going through the nominees movies with a fine tooth comb to weed out the good, the bad and well, the not quite so bad? And what defines a suitable movie for the status of 'Hall of Famer'. I know that not many people are going to agree with my own idea of a good movie and very likely there is going to be wide disagreement between everbody who makes the effort to nominate.

One other thing that is a bit of a puzzle to me is how will this differ in any way from the 'Best of Moviestorm' site on Vimeo? blink.gif

#51 Captaintank27

Captaintank27

Upcoming director

• Staff
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

Hi guys.

I understand all your concerns and want to reassure of what it is we are trying to achieve.

You folks have been making Moviestorm movies for a LONG time and we here (foolishly) have never kept a comprehensive list of the most outstanding Moviestorm movies.

It will differ from the Vimeo list because its a far more comprehensive list. Its also worth noting that many people here do not upload their movies to Vimeo and they are only available through our web site. Plus our website only has recent and featured movie lists.

This list does not have any particular length at all. I so far have 49 movies listed and I have no intention of stopping so the list is endless.

Please do not over think this list. We just want a place on our website to show an archive of the brilliant movies you guys have made.

Tank out.

#52 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3273 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

So you want an example spread of movies? A way to eliminate the 'My first movie' movies from the viewing queue and allow potential new users to see what's possible?

...and 'Hall of Fame' is marketing speak?

#53 Captaintank27

Captaintank27

Upcoming director

• Staff
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

Precisely. A list that shows what can be achieved with Moviestorm.

#54 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Jan 25 2012, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...and 'Hall of Fame' is marketing speak?

Everything is marketing speak for a marketing exec.wink.gif

That doesn't diminish the value of having a movie short recognized though.smile.gif
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#55 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3273 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

Ok then I nominate Corthew's movie about fatherhood, which I think is one of his best.

http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=107524

#56 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (Captaintank27 @ Jan 25 2012, 05:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Precisely. A list that shows what can be achieved with Moviestorm.

You should include then some of the movies that show the animations that modders like Corfew, Writerly, Papa G and others have created for the Moviestorm puppets using the Skeletons that were released to us. That is a big leap ahead for Moviestorm. Also include some of the movies about animated props people have created because that also is a big plus for Moviestorm.

#57 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3273 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

Brain cells suddenly cooperated memory wise.

Lux's film called Betrayals

Wonderful grown up film and demonstrates really creative thinking in the set design.

#58 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3273 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Jan 25 2012, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should include then some of the movies that show the animations that modders like Corfew, Writerly, Papa G and others have created for the Moviestorm puppets using the Skeletons that were released to us. That is a big leap ahead for Moviestorm. Also include some of the movies about animated props people have created because that also is a big plus for Moviestorm.

Yes! Maybe there should be a modder's showcase (Hall of fame?)

#59 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Jan 25 2012, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes! Maybe there should be a modder's showcase (Hall of fame?)

Great idea because the modders contribute so much to Moviestorm.

#60 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

MefuneAkiras Hard Requitals is superb.

Also Reptor7`s Spindrift 1 is superb.