• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1144 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

They weren’t in the least discouraged by the fact that it doesn’t look as good as what they can do with Maya, ZBrush or the other high-end tools they use. They realized from the start that the purpose of this tool is not for production ready, “Blu-ray quality” distribution. They know it’s a pre-production tool. In this regard, they find it irreplaceable

Taken from the last Moviestorm News

Now and then the number 2.0 comes up and I can feel the joyrush in my veins biggrin.gif
I know it´s coming.
Untill then, I´ll take what I have and do with it what it can do.

#22 urbanlamb

urbanlamb

Master Director

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:07 AM

QUOTE (keithlawrence @ May 17 2012, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Taken from the last Moviestorm News

Now and then the number 2.0 comes up and I can feel the joyrush in my veins biggrin.gif
I know it´s coming.
Untill then, I´ll take what I have and do with it what it can do.

I read that unfortunately its hardly an endorsement for making "good machinima" its a "well its fast its okay cause its not for actual production work so its good for a quick draft of meh because then we will do it again 'for reals'". So they are not discouraged in the least because they aren't actually going to put it in front of people like that. Its kind of a bittersweet endorsement of the product cause it was "cheap" lol. For people in the gaming industry trying to do a quick mockup this product is great cause its so fast, but then again we are trying to use it to put movies in front of people and in some cases people want to charge money for it. Me I just want to be happy with what I see on the screen. I dont even care if zero people in the world like what I do or even like what I like.. as long as I can shoot santa clause in a way which is pleasing to the eye (in this case my eye well both eyes I guess really) then I am happy.

also I have visions of moviestorm 2.0 looking like this
http://www.daz3d.com...what-is-carrara

with a price tag to match by the way. (yes I did not use Iclone I too am tired of that word)

#23 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (urbanlamb @ May 17 2012, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3) created an import feature to support blender.

Anyhow at the risk of "repeating myself" and annoying one of the dozen or so forum regulars reading my posts on a regular basis. I will now repeat myself hehe. I wont stop repeating myself until someone gives me a valid reason why this is not possible in moviestorm 2.0 or more hopefully confirms my hopes and dreams and tells me that they are indeed doing at least 2 out of 3 of the above options so that this software can be as versatile as the rest of the choices out there and i will qualify that with "that cost money to own"

http://moviestorm.bl.../03/istorm.html
There is some development work going on which is using Unity (which does import from Blender along with a number of other model source options).

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#24 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

There is some development work going on which is using Unity (which does import from Blender along with a number of other model source options).
[/quote]

That is great Ben. Also the IPad is going to be great too. Now I can sneak an Ipad in my purse when we have to go and watch my daughter practice her sports (she is now playing tennis, softball and bocce ball)and work on Moviestorm while we are there.

#25 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ May 18 2012, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting, so this is the new game engine Dave refered to in the blog, and we are to assume at some point in the future you will be switching normal Moviestorm over to this, a kinda Moviestorm Enhanced, or would that then be the mystical Moviestorm 2.0?

Out of curiosity, and assuming this would just be an update to the existing Moviestorm, how does this affect all your current art assets which are in cal3d format, does Unity also support cal3d or would you have to embark on the mamoth tast of re-exporting all your Max source work into whatever format the new engine requires..?

#26 urbanlamb

urbanlamb

Master Director

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ May 18 2012, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://moviestorm.bl.../03/istorm.html

Oh this is great news. I was worried moviestorm was not going to try to be compatible with other stuff out there. Unity 3D is very popular and the way the 3D world is working out these days everyone is trying to accomodate various other platforms that the models etc can be used in. I use unity 3D already hehe. My issue is I make items for platforms to use for movies (or whatever this is not only about movies). If I make it for one thing I have to basically remake it from scratch and run it through milkshape and spend hours and hours redoing a lot of work just for moviestorm. However if I make the model once I can import it into unity, opensim, iclone (those are the ones I use often) without any further effort on my part maybe a missed texture here or a missed texture there, but basically the model is done. What I am experiencing is well needing to spend far more time then I would like to just to get a simple model into moviestorm. (we will ignore animations lol ). If I could at least get my models into moviestorm without spending a good 2 evenings of my time preparing it to just load up onto a moviestorm set I would kiss your feet.

Of course I would also like to get my blender animations in intact however in some cases they let you reconfigure the model with skeleton so you can animate away in the platform or use any animations that already exist which is good enough for me. I am not an animator I do it because once I learned how out of curiousity but its not what I spend my time with. However I want to be able to use the animations others make like I can in "those other programs" the same way with moviestorm and not have to make special moviestorm only animations. This is an issue of cross platform compatibility. I want to be able to only have to make it once and not worry about remaking it for a special case. My latest example is a truck . I cannot successfully get one of the animations into moviestorm I had to trash it but this truck is now working and animated in those "other" programs but after 1 week I have only managed to get the truck into moviestorm and 3 of the animations out of a larger set. This makes me very sad lol

So I am hoping I wont be experiencing this in later times so thanks for replying because if your attempting to accomodate unity then your going to accomodate blender (if i am reading this correctly) just as a side affect of accomodating unity which is a very cool piece of technology.

#27 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (daleh @ May 18 2012, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting, so this is the new game engine Dave refered to in the blog, and we are to assume at some point in the future you will be switching normal Moviestorm over to this, a kinda Moviestorm Enhanced, or would that then be the mystical Moviestorm 2.0?

Those are some possible assumptions that could be made. We will have to see how the iPad version goes first. One of the benefits of Unity is it's cross platform support, though.

Out of curiosity, and assuming this would just be an update to the existing Moviestorm, how does this affect all your current art assets which are in cal3d format, does Unity also support cal3d or would you have to embark on the mamoth tast of re-exporting all your Max source work into whatever format the new engine requires..?

Dave made an importer for the existing Moviestorm cal3d and addon content to use it with the unity engine. I don't think this works for everything, but there are definitely costumes and animations that have been imported into Unity this way.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#28 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ May 18 2012, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those are some possible assumptions that could be made. We will have to see how the iPad version goes first. One of the benefits of Unity is it's cross platform support, though.

Dave made an importer for the existing Moviestorm cal3d and addon content to use it with the unity engine. I don't think this works for everything, but there are definitely costumes and animations that have been imported into Unity this way.

Will the animated props we have created that export as Cal 3d still work in the new Moviestorm?

#29 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 663 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (writerly @ May 16 2012, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First, I LOVE Moviestorm, but as I do various projects I keep getting one piece of feedback over and over again. People don't like the look.

I am not sure how much of this is 'uncanny valley' in Moviestorm and how much is just lack of familiarity with machinima in general.

One thing to look at also is who is making the comments. If you're on YouTube, then most likely these are coming form those who think machinima should only be done using games like Halo, Mech Warrior and Doom.

Those of us who started in The Movies got many of the same responses when we started posting our films. Once we started being more creative with camera angles, creative editing, color correction and adjustment using outside editors and other effects, the comments got a lot better.

As was mentioned in another post, not showing the whole movement (arm raise to finger point) by either having the camera elsewhere and then cutting to the character or focus on a facial response/expression, then cut the camera to another body part can overcome some of the sluggishness (wooden feeling) of Moviestorm. I saw one film where 2 characters had to tgrun around and then walk. Instead of moving the camera angles or using cuts, the director left the camera showing the whole body, including the feet, from the start of the turn to the walking. Made the scene almost unwatchable. If they had started the camera on maybe the head and then either moved the camera to a different angle while the turn was made or just cut the camera during the turn and cut back in after the turn with a slightly different angle, the scene would have improved and the comments about looking like crap would not have been posted.

The main thing is, you have to be able to work with the limitations and get creative. There will always be those who won't accept MS so don't put too much stock in some of the comments.
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#30 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 879 posts
  • Interests:Film - writing - directing - aviation - traveling - machinema - reading - acting -

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Harb40 @ May 18 2012, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing to look at also is who is making the comments. If you're on YouTube, then most likely these are coming form those who think machinima should only be done using games like Halo, Mech Warrior and Doom.

Those of us who started in The Movies got many of the same responses when we started posting our films. Once we started being more creative with camera angles, creative editing, color correction and adjustment using outside editors and other effects, the comments got a lot better.

As was mentioned in another post, not showing the whole movement (arm raise to finger point) by either having the camera elsewhere and then cutting to the character or focus on a facial response/expression, then cut the camera to another body part can overcome some of the sluggishness (wooden feeling) of Moviestorm. I saw one film where 2 characters had to tgrun around and then walk. Instead of moving the camera angles or using cuts, the director left the camera showing the whole body, including the feet, from the start of the turn to the walking. Made the scene almost unwatchable. If they had started the camera on maybe the head and then either moved the camera to a different angle while the turn was made or just cut the camera during the turn and cut back in after the turn with a slightly different angle, the scene would have improved and the comments about looking like crap would not have been posted.

The main thing is, you have to be able to work with the limitations and get creative. There will always be those who won't accept MS so don't put too much stock in some of the comments.

I do think the look needs a facelift. However, the relative short time it takes to put a scene together (after planing...etc) is defiantly a plus! I'm new to machinima, and the tutorials (please correct me if I'm wrong) the I've seen of other programs is insane. I don't have the time to work out every finger movement and so forth.

Good editing would actually save a lot of the work I've seen on here. There are some stories that have potential, but the director isn't quite communicating what they see in there minds eye. As a result we see two guys firing machine guns for 30 seconds, and by the time the frame changes I've lost interest. Editing is a BIG DEAL! Watching movies with an eye for how the scene is progressing because of the editing, is a good start to making better films.

There is no try, only do or do not.

Learn story telling in the MOVIESTORM education forum. 

START HERE:  http://www.moviestor...showtopic=13153