Photo

Beta 2 quickstart tutorial -- can't sit?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tmorrisnc

tmorrisnc

Moviegoer

• Pioneers
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:10 AM

Is this somehow related to the documented 2.0.2 sit/stand problem?

Is there a version of the Beta 2 tutorial that can be downloaded
that does not start with all the characters there and with a
messed up timeline?

Cant follow the PDF quick start tutorial b/c it just doesn't work!

THanks in advance!

#2 tmorrisnc

tmorrisnc

Moviegoer

• Pioneers
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:03 AM

Heck, none of the movement animations seems to work, either.

I'm impressed with the quality of the characters and with some of the set building tools. But so far, this just isn't quite clicking for me. I've deinstalled and reinstalled several times, and wiped out the default stuff it put under my documents and settings folders. [Would be nice if it ASKED where to put things!]

#3 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:27 AM

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties; I've just tried loading up the tutorial movie on my computer and it appear to still do what it used to do, so I'm wondering if the problem would be elsewhere.

One continuing problem we have had is with graphics card hardware capability detection. Something that sometimes doesnt work is the hardware skinning, which could stop the animations from playing correctly.

Try going to 'Settings' on the opening screen of moviestorm (after you have signed in). Then in the Graphics tab, try disabling 'Use hardware skinning'. This might make things work correctly on the set.
On some systems, turning off the 'shaders' setting in the same place can also make a big difference to how things work, and might be worth a try if just disabling the hardware skinning isnt enough.

Please let us know if this helps, or if we need to try to give you other advice to get things working.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#4 tmorrisnc

tmorrisnc

Moviegoer

• Pioneers
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:24 PM

(Ben_S)
[...]One continuing problem we have had is with graphics card hardware capability detection. Something that sometimes doesnt work is the hardware skinning, which could stop the animations from playing correctly.

Thanks, Ben! This was exactly it. I had updated my ATI Radeon 9800 drivers and must have tweaked some settings wrong. Your suggestion below worked wonders!

(Ben_S)
Try going to 'Settings' on the opening screen of moviestorm (after you have signed in). Then in the Graphics tab, try disabling 'Use hardware skinning'. This might make things work correctly on the set.
On some systems, turning off the 'shaders' setting in the same place can also make a big difference to how things work, and might be worth a try if just disabling the hardware skinning isnt enough.

FWIW, I'll experiment with some of my settings to see if I can suss out what made this not work.

Thanks again for your quick response!
Lorem Ipsum Studios
Surprise Lily Productions