• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Darth Angelus

Darth Angelus

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

After successfully modding a hat with Milkshape, I thought I'd have a go at a full (male) costume.

I've created the model and imported it into Movestorm to make sure it appears. That was fine, so I went back and started rigging the costume to the skeleton properly.

I started with the torso, exported to Cal3d, imported that into Moviestorm to test and it was fine. Moved on to the arms, again that was fine.

Finally the legs and that didn't work so well. When trying to export the mesh to Cal3d, I get to the bone assignment screen, change the max number of bones per vertex to 4 (I've tried lowering it, no difference to what happens next) and it just crashes. I looked at the Cal3D site and all they have to offer is.

Why does the exporter crash?

Usually this is a result of having things selected that you shouldn't have. There can also be crashes caused by mis-named materials or failing to collapse the modifer stack before exporting.

It appears to be the leg bones that are the problem, as soon as I assign the verticies to a bone higher up the body, it's exports perfectly again.

#2 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (Darth Angelus @ Jan 20 2012, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After successfully modding a hat with Milkshape, I thought I'd have a go at a full (male) costume.

I've created the model and imported it into Movestorm to make sure it appears. That was fine, so I went back and started rigging the costume to the skeleton properly.

This happens to me if I have missed assigning a vertice. Even one not assigned will cause a crash.
C

#3 Darth Angelus

Darth Angelus

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

At this point I've created a seperate file with just the legs so I can experiment on them without worrying that I'll break the rest of the costume.

To double check the verticies were assigned correctly, I selected all of them, assigned it to the pelvis bone. Exported to test and it's fine.

From there, I reassigned the parts of the legs to the correct bones and it crashes again.

QUOTE (writerly @ Jan 20 2012, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This happens to me if I have missed assigning a vertice. Even one not assigned will cause a crash.
C

#4 Darth Angelus

Darth Angelus

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

Okay, I found the problem. I had the top of the verticies of legs attached to Male01 Spine but when I changed that to Male01 L Thigh and Male01 R Thigh, the crashing stopped.

Of course, now the legs are completely invisible in Moviestorm (although the torso is still fine), so that's the next thing to figure out.

EDIT: It's not a texture problem. I put attached the leg groups to different bones and they become visible again, looking as they were designed. As soon as I put them back on the leg bones though, they disappear again.

Has anyone else had this problem?

#5 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

Sorry no help here. But it is fascinating to see how you are quite quickly building up a lot of knowledge here. I foresee great things in the not to distant future.
Keep it up. wink.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#6 Darth Angelus

Darth Angelus

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:13 AM

Thanks! biggrin.gif

It's quite interesting to see how Moviestorm works and I'm planning to release a few mods once I figure out issues like the ones I'm having at the moment with the legs not loading.

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Jan 21 2012, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry no help here. But it is fascinating to see how you are quite quickly building up a lot of knowledge here. I foresee great things in the not to distant future.
Keep it up. wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users