• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

I'm working on some hats and accessories. I made them using 3d Max. Then I opened the Male Skeleton and bought my first hat in, which is Prince type crown - gold band with designs. I put it on his head, added the textures to the material files, made sure they were assigned. I skinned it to his head then I went to export the material files and...yeah nothing exported. I probably missed something...or more than 1 something. I was looking through the forums to find the download for the Accessory.zip. The one referenced in the tutorial with the awesome box hat and box bracelet, but I can't find it anywhere. I was hoping to use it as a reference to figure out what I didn't do.

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#2 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (squirrelygirl @ Aug 2 2012, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm working on some hats and accessories. I made them using 3d Max. Then I opened the Male Skeleton and bought my first hat in, which is Prince type crown - gold band with designs. I put it on his head, added the textures to the material files, made sure they were assigned. I skinned it to his head then I went to export the material files and...yeah nothing exported. I probably missed something...or more than 1 something. I was looking through the forums to find the download for the Accessory.zip. The one referenced in the tutorial with the awesome box hat and box bracelet, but I can't find it anywhere. I was hoping to use it as a reference to figure out what I didn't do.

Were they named properly "Material [20]" or something? The square brackets open and closed are essential.

Hugs,
C

#3 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

Yep. I named them Material [0] and Material [1]. I made them double sided because someone...can't recall who...told me that all the materials have to be double sided for Moviestorm, but I did that after it didn't work the first time. So, double sided or no double sided, it doesn't work.

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

Yeah, make sure the names are correct and that you haven't missed assigning any of the vertices to a bone.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#5 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Aug 2 2012, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, make sure the names are correct and that you haven't missed assigning any of the vertices to a bone.

So, after I skin it to the head bone I have to assign vertices...ah...that would that thing I forgot to do. rolleyes.gif

Assigning vertices then retrying.

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#6 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (squirrelygirl @ Aug 3 2012, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, after I skin it to the head bone I have to assign vertices

I'm using Milkshape terms here as I have never used Max, I thought assigning vertices to bones was the same as skinning? wink.gif

#7 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

It's part of the skinning. I just forgot to scroll down and select them. I did and it's still not exporting the material files.

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#8 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (squirrelygirl @ Aug 3 2012, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's part of the skinning. I just forgot to scroll down and select them. I did and it's still not exporting the material files.

Are the textures DDS files? And what filesize are they? Also I know Misfit complains if DDS files sides are not exactly divisible by 2 so make sure they are 128. 256 or 512 (preferably square).
Can you see the .CRF files after you export from Max but before they go into MS? If so what filesize are they, if they are showing as 1kb they have failed to export correctly from Max.

#9 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

They are jpeg file and no I can't see the CRF file. I go to export from Max and nothing exports. It doesn't ask me what I'm referencing, like it does when I export a gesture. The textures are 600x600. I could make them smaller if you think that would help. I can also make them dds files.

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#10 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (squirrelygirl @ Aug 3 2012, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are jpeg file and no I can't see the CRF file. I go to export from Max and nothing exports. It doesn't ask me what I'm referencing, like it does when I export a gesture. The textures are 600x600. I could make them smaller if you think that would help. I can also make them dds files.

I think the actual filesize might be an issue rather than the picture dimensions, e.g. say they were digital photos and 3 or 4 Mb that might be too big, but I'm afraid I don't know how Max works. Could you be exporting them to the wrong folder somewhere? Or are there any log files you can check?

#11 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

The file sizes of the pictures are 63.2 KB and 315 KB. I checked around and I don't see them in another folder and I can't find a log file for max. I'm not sure if it creates one or not. Just in case there's something I skipped or maybe something I shouldn't have done the way I did it...since I'm still new to max...here are the steps I took from model creation to trying to export:

1. Made a crown in Max
2. Turned it into an Editable Mesh
3. Assigned the materials
4. Imported jpeg. textures both are 600x600
5. Saved the crown
6. Opened the distributed Male01 skeleton
7. Imported the crown
8. Put the crown on his head and resized it
9. Added a Skin modifier - Edit Envelopes - Add Male01 Head - Select Vertices - Unchecked Envelopes and Cross Sections - Weight Properties - Check Rigid and Uncheck Normalize - Selected the Head - made sure Abs. Effect was at 1.0. - De-select Edit Envelopes
10. Opened Material Editor - Made sure the materials had the brackets on either side of the numbers - Material [0] and such - made sure the materials were assigned.
11. Exported Material [0] into my new folder in the addon section and nothing exports. It doesn't even ask what skeleton I'm referencing or anything.

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#12 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:06 AM

Sorry I'm out of ideas on this. Hopefully a Max bod will come by soon. wink.gif

#13 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Aug 2 2012, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry I'm out of ideas on this. Hopefully a Max bod will come by soon. wink.gif

Hopefully. I appreciate your help. smile.gif

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#14 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

I may be wrong but in my experience with exporting mesh from max is that when it comes to exporting the materials it only seems to generate a reference file for them, the actual textures don`t get moved to the folder. In that case you would need to manually transfer the textures to their folder.

You may also need to go into the textures options in Modshop and set the options to refer to your textures, you would then start seeing the textures appear on your models.

Also check your folder structure, it should look something like this for accessories:
modname/Data/Puppets/Male01/Accessories/accessoryname/Textures

If it`s not actually generating a CRF file I`m not sure what could be going wrong, when exporting the materials it should actually show you a list of materials in your models, of course you would need to export each material and select it from the list.

Sorry if this does not help you.

#15 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

The folder structure is MedievalAccessories/Data/Puppets/Male01/Accessories/MedievalCrown01/Textures. It's the CRF file that won't generate. When I bring up the Material Editor I can see the materials for the crown in the list. I'm not sure what you mean by selecting the materials from a list when I export. When I tried to export I just clicked the Export from the file menu and then typed in the name Material [0]. Is that not how I'm supposed to export them?

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#16 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

Okay I figured it out. Thank you, kv. Suggesting that I might not have selected the materials sent me on a hunt for another tutorial on exporting Cal files from max. After watching it I realized I didn't set up the materials correctly. They are all set up right now and guess what? They exported! Wahoo! Now to export the mesh. Fingers crossed. smile.gif

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#17 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (squirrelygirl @ Aug 3 2012, 06:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The file sizes of the pictures are 63.2 KB and 315 KB. I checked around and I don't see them in another folder and I can't find a log file for max. I'm not sure if it creates one or not. Just in case there's something I skipped or maybe something I shouldn't have done the way I did it...since I'm still new to max...here are the steps I took from model creation to trying to export:

1. Made a crown in Max
2. Turned it into an Editable Mesh
3. Assigned the materials
4. Imported jpeg. textures both are 600x600 Try 512*512... or 1024*1024 and DDS format maybe nicer
5. Saved the crown
6. Opened the distributed Male01 skeleton
7. Imported the crown
8. Put the crown on his head and resized it
9. Added a Skin modifier - Edit Envelopes - Add Male01 Head - Select Vertices - Unchecked Envelopes and Cross Sections - Weight Properties - Check Rigid and Uncheck Normalize - Selected the Head - made sure Abs. Effect was at 1.0. - De-select Edit Envelopes
10. Opened Material Editor - Made sure the materials had the brackets on either side of the numbers - Material [0] and such - made sure the materials were assigned.
11. Exported Material [0] into my new folder in the addon section and nothing exports. It doesn't even ask what skeleton I'm referencing or anything.

;-) too many steps without pictures for me ;-) Seems more complicated then it should be :-(

Not the way, just my way:
in Max, single sided standard materials (take a look below at pic:), usually multi-subObjects work, always using a bitmap file. Good naming always helps when in MS-ModdersWorkshop to getting it all together.

For myself, even though i usually have spec and normal maps, the only map that is ticked (when exporting materials) on in the material editor (within Max) is the diffuse map... I never can get all the materials to add in at once in the right slots otherwise; so adding extra materials is easily done in the ModdersWorkshop

Always make sure that no meshes are exported as an editablePoly... it'll crash MAX...
"Stack" the max stack like this:

Skin
Edit mesh
editable poly -- (=this can be here or not... A Cal3D mesh export wont crash max because of the edit mesh below the Skin.

I never like collapsing my meshes fully so i can easily edit things later...Clone, 'collapse to' along with SaveAS get used a lot.

This is where a good 'rosetta-stone' like example max file and pict-tutorials would come in handy in how to import your textures and bodypart into MS.... too many confusing words otherwise...
I'm only putting together a max,fbx,obj,collada,etc. file together for people to reference; the plan TOA:<1 week... :

The Hope; Make this all an easy process so can concentrate on the art rather then struggling with the craft.... other people don't have to suffer the same problems like squirrelygirl et.al.

#18 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

Thank you, tree! Those pictures and your reference to "Stacking" the max stack a certain way is very helpful. I did wind up crashing max, but thankfully it crashed after exporting the mesh. That reference file you're putting together will be very very useful!

Here's a picture of the crown in Moviestorm:

Hopefully I can get the rest of the medieval hats, crowns, and money pouch into Moviestorm today using tree's suggestions so I can pack them up and get them out to everyone then I can finish the wizard and witch hair I've been working on. smile.gif

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#19 urbanlamb

urbanlamb

Master Director

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

You make so many mods I can't keep up (i buy most of them too lol)

#20 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (urbanlamb @ Aug 3 2012, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You make so many mods I can't keep up (i buy most of them too lol)

I almost can't keep up, lol. This set will be free. smile.gif

modsnmore_logo.jpg