Photo

What is this link for Moviestorm. It does not work.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5365 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:55 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Apr 15 2012, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I think it is this bad link that is causing the problem and I don't know if anything could be done to fix it.

I think it is more likely that the software algorithm for counting views just got more accurate.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#22 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

I've diddl..... no, googled myself too! wub.gif

#23 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

No there wasn't anything strange about how the views were being counted. When you go to watch or make a comment on your own movie and then look at the stats, it shows one more view. I don't do that a lot, just when someone wants the link for an addon that I made and they are all in the video description.

If you type this link into the search section for videos on Google you will see everyone's channels affected.

http://www.moviestor...k/community/?u=

I thought of putting an ad on that page that comes up in the search engine, but if my views went up again, it would cost too much money and wouldn't be worth it really.

#24 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

I like solving prioblems like this, especially technical things so this really intrigues me. Also the only movies that will come up correctly are the few that Moviestorm has on their Marketplace page. I posted on Facebook this link

http://omdb.us which is the link to my Moviestorm channel and it works and also left a message that if people click on the CHANNELS or MOVIES link above my channel, they can see everyone's movies. I will twitter this too and maybe word will get around.

I might change the link to http://omdb.us from my own channel to the Moviestorm channel page if Moviestorm doesn't fix this.

#25 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

I changed the link for my domain name http://omdb.us to point to all the channels for Moviestorm users and since this domain name is posted on thousands of sites, it should help to improve movie views.

#26 ms_amos

ms_amos

Master Director

• Staff
  • 570 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the heads-up about this.
model.moviestorm.co.uk is our test server that we try all the code on before it goes live to www.moviestorm.co.uk
It should not be indexed by Google, but for some reason Google has "seen" it. We're taking a look to see if we can stop it from appearing in search results, but chances are that any changes will be slow to propagate.

Amos Willbond
Creative Producer
Moviestorm Ltd.

#27 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (ms_amos @ Apr 16 2012, 05:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the heads-up about this.
model.moviestorm.co.uk is our test server that we try all the code on before it goes live to www.moviestorm.co.uk
It should not be indexed by Google, but for some reason Google has "seen" it. We're taking a look to see if we can stop it from appearing in search results, but chances are that any changes will be slow to propagate.

Oh you are quite welcome. My husband said it was probably an error in your code on the server, but if it is a test server than it isn't that. I don't know if there is a way to get Google to take another snapshot of the actual page that does point to our movies or not.

#28 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (ms_amos @ Apr 16 2012, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It should not be indexed by Google, but for some reason Google has "seen" it.

I don't think the problem is that Google has seen it. I think it's more to do with certain other parties having seen it...

wink.gif

#29 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

Well the way Google works, they take snapshots of sites at certain times and they must have taken a snapshot of that page of Moviestorm when they had that link open and running.

My husband, who is a DBA and Senior Systems Analyst and a genius with computers, thought it might be some code in your own website that caused it. That would be a lot easier to fix than to get Google to take another snapshot of the correct page and remove the bad links.

#30 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Apr 16 2012, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My husband, who is a DBA and Senior Systems Analyst and a genius with computers, thought it might be some code in your own website that caused it.

He's likely referring to metadata which spiders often use to categorize web pages and also determine whether it should be spidered or left out of search results.

That's likely but changing it or adding it in if its missing would still require google to recheck it which I'm sure is on a schedule.
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#31 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

Well I left Feedback for Google about this problem. Maybe if enough of us left feedback, they would fix it and take another snapshot and take out the old link.

#32 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Apr 16 2012, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I left Feedback for Google about this problem. Maybe if enough of us left feedback, they would fix it and take another snapshot and take out the old link.

Or maybe, they'd just stop listening.

#33 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

Actually if Moviestorm changed the coding in the website and didn't have the link as model.moviestorm.co.uk but the regular link to goes to the main page for the movies, that would fix it I would think.

#34 urbanlamb

urbanlamb

Master Director

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

stupid double post just cause i needed to express myself with a single smiley.. because it said it better then I could with this here keyboard!

#35 urbanlamb

urbanlamb

Master Director

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (Armanus @ Apr 15 2012, 04:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saying "google yourself" just sounds so wrong. Who knows, maybe the staff is so busy googling themselves, that's why we don't have the swords pack yet wink.gif

blink.gif

#36 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 928 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

I'm surprised that Google hasn't paused their efforts to take over the internet in order to fix this.

#37 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3285 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

Aaah no, nasty facebook have spoiled their plans for an open internet, nasty facebook don't allow google to index their pages, this is very bad for everybody and spoiling everything and why doesn't somebody do something about it...what with how bad it is for everybody...not being able to google everything.

I am paraphrasing a quote I read from a google tech blokey.
I now use 3 or 4 seperate browsers at once to avoid the fisticuffs that break out between the various entities trying to take over my particular bit of the internet.
I had never actually heard of the sea monkey browser before last month, apparently it is quite popular.

#38 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Apr 17 2012, 06:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aaah no, nasty facebook have spoiled their plans for an open internet, nasty facebook don't allow google to index their pages, this is very bad for everybody and spoiling everything and why doesn't somebody do something about it...what with how bad it is for everybody...not being able to google everything.

I am paraphrasing a quote I read from a google tech blokey.
I now use 3 or 4 seperate browsers at once to avoid the fisticuffs that break out between the various entities trying to take over my particular bit of the internet.
I had never actually heard of the sea monkey browser before last month, apparently it is quite popular.

Interesting. I didn't know that about Facebook. Well no wonder not a lot of people are using Facebook anymore. I just looked at Seamonkey and it looks interesting. It evidently came from Netscape and I always liked Netscape. I am not that crazy about Firefox anymore but I have all my user ID's and passwords stored on Firefox so I do still use it.

#39 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3285 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

I tend to rotate my browsers, and firefox annoyed me in some way I don't remember.

I think I used netscape browser way back, I still have netscape email addresses.

#40 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Apr 17 2012, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tend to rotate my browsers, and firefox annoyed me in some way I don't remember.

I think I used netscape browser way back, I still have netscape email addresses.

Just installed it and am using it now. Looks great. Thanks a lot for this tip.