Photo

Moviestorm vs iClone4 - what do you think?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 BudJillett

BudJillett

Film Critic

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE (steve3416 @ Jan 13 2010, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Edit:
But this is my final opinion between Moviestorm and iClone.

In iClone, I have had more headaches while creating my scenes and making movies even though afterwards, I was pleased with the final outcome. I spent way more money on content packs and it was time very consuming.
In Moviestorm I truly had F-U-N creating my movies. I've had less headaches and I've made more movies with Moviestorm in less time than with iClone.

Hi Steve,

I found your entire post very helpful to me as someone currently trying out iClone after completing Moviestorm's trial.

The post by jleao was also very helpful.

I'm wonder if you still feel the same way nearly 3 years later?

I'm currently in the middle of an IC5 trial.

I'm finding the same things you found (can do more, but much more time consuming, not as much fun).

So, almost 3 years later, you still using both programs? Did iClone get any easier to use?

All advice appreciated,
Bud

#42 BudJillett

BudJillett

Film Critic

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (steve3416 @ Jan 13 2010, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Edit:
But this is my final opinion between Moviestorm and iClone.

In iClone, I have had more headaches while creating my scenes and making movies even though afterwards, I was pleased with the final outcome. I spent way more money on content packs and it was time very consuming.
In Moviestorm I truly had F-U-N creating my movies. I've had less headaches and I've made more movies with Moviestorm in less time than with iClone.

Hi Steve,

I found your entire post very helpful to me as someone currently trying out iClone after completing Moviestorm's trial.

I'm finding the same things you found (can do more, but much more time consuming, not as much fun).

So, almost 3 years later, you still using both programs? Did iClone get any easier to use?

All advice appreciated,
Bud

#43 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (BudJillett @ Nov 8 2012, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Steve,

All advice appreciated,
Bud

Since Moviestorm now allows us to create our own animated props and characters and also use the Moviestorm character Skeletons to create new animations and new characters, I don't find any need to use Iclone. I can do everything I want with Moviestorm and the animations are much more graceful than in Iclone. I am not even using Iclone anymore. The only part of Iclone I use is the 3d exchange because I can import Sketchup props and export them as Maya Obj files which is what I need to do to import the props into Milkshape 3D for animation.

#44 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

I had bought the whole iclone5 pack, then refunded it except crazytalk6. too time consuming. easier to use than poser. not as nice or as flexible as poser 7, which i bought on sale for 50 bucks. I own poser pro as well, but wouldnt buy it again, its still buggy and difficult to use.
MS wins, for now...
The Unreal engine would be a wise move for MS, they could use the UDK with 250,000 sales before registration is required. It would take some work, but it would look fabulous, in realtime. With built in ragdoll physics, bloom, fog, atmospherics and multiple layers of normal mapping. Now that would be a movie Storm.

#45 zuijlen

zuijlen

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:14 AM

I guess I'm the opposite... I had issues with Moviestorm several years ago, found it limiting, etc, and gave up on it. I then started working seriously with iClone. It has been a pleasure for me. But, I'm glad to hear Moviestorm has evolved since then. The two products may very well be aimed at different kinds of users.

#46 BolexH16

BolexH16

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:36 AM

QUOTE (EugeneE @ Jan 13 2010, 6:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the modding department, Moviestorm allows you to import Sketchup models as static props. Iclone allows you to import Sketchup models, 3D's and obj models. Not only that, Iclone allows you to animate Sketchup models which is something that Moviestorm can't do (yet).

I too used iClone5 and the only thing I can add is that iClone 4 and 5 will NOT let you use Sketchup models, OBJ, or 3ds. You can, only if you buy and additional software: 3DXchange. This software costs as much as iClone5 does. Also the animations on iClone are good but are very hard to keep them from 'jumping' when you put more than one together.
I've used iClone5 for almost 2 year and gave up on it because to be able to do a simple animation it was very time consuming when key framing. MS on the contrary has an enormous stock animation, almost 5 times of what iClone5 ships with. And MS animations are seamless when it comes to put them together. The major advantage I've seen on iClone5 is the poly counts. Characters look 3 times better than in MS. I still like both software, case in point, watch this video that uses both in one:

thanks

#47 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (BolexH16 @ Dec 23 2012, 8:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I too used iClone5 and the only thing I can add is that iClone 4 and 5 will NOT let you use Sketchup models, OBJ, or 3ds. You can, only if you buy and additional software: 3DXchange. This software costs as much as iClone5 does. Also the animations on iClone are good but are very hard to keep them from 'jumping' when you put more than one together.
I've used iClone5 for almost 2 year and gave up on it because to be able to do a simple animation it was very time consuming when key framing. MS on the contrary has an enormous stock animation, almost 5 times of what iClone5 ships with. And MS animations are seamless when it comes to put them together. The major advantage I've seen on iClone5 is the poly counts. Characters look 3 times better than in MS. I still like both software, case in point, watch this video that uses both in one:

thanks

I agree with you. I sure wasted about $1000 buying everything for Iclone 4 myself and I like Moviestorm so much better and I can do so much more with it and it is easier to use too.