31 replies to this topic

#1 sfdex

sfdex

Master Director

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

Hi, there --

I'm using the most recent version of Moviestorm (still working on this free-lance safety video project) and it just crashed on me. The Mac dialogue box says this:

Moviestorm quit unexpectedly while using the libjogl.jnlib plug-in.

I'm attaching the log.txt file, as well.

I installed Davidwww's Emergency vehicle addon and KV's kitchen addon earlier today, though haven't had trouble up until now. I suspect one of those is the culprit, but thought I'd post this for your perusal on the off chance that it's not one of those user mods.

As always, thanks for such a great (and fun to use) product!

- Dex

EDIT: And also thanks to Davidwww and KV for these awesome addons. Honestly, I wouldn't be able to finish the project I'm working on without them!

Attached Files

• Attached File  LOG.txt   14.2KB   4 downloads

MacBook Pro - Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.66 GHz - 4 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M/9600M GT - Snow Leopard (10.6.4)

#2 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (sfdex @ Jul 9 2010, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, there --

I'm using the most recent version of Moviestorm (still working on this free-lance safety video project) and it just crashed on me. The Mac dialogue box says this:

Moviestorm quit unexpectedly while using the libjogl.jnlib plug-in.

I'm attaching the log.txt file, as well.

I installed Davidwww's Emergency vehicle addon and KV's kitchen addon earlier today, though haven't had trouble up until now. I suspect one of those is the culprit, but thought I'd post this for your perusal on the off chance that it's not one of those user mods.

As always, thanks for such a great (and fun to use) product!

- Dex

EDIT: And also thanks to Davidwww and KV for these awesome addons. Honestly, I wouldn't be able to finish the project I'm working on without them!

are you sure Davidwww's emergency vehicles were converted for use with 1.3 because he has not been on here in months. He is too busy right now. But if you try to install an old addon using the install addon function instead of just moving your folder over to the new Moviestorm, it can mess things up.

#3 sfdex

sfdex

Master Director

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:09 PM

Hmm. That's probably the issue. Thanks for the insight!

I didn't have the emergency vehicles addon before today, so I didn't have a folder to move.

I've been able to render out the shots I needed, though, and things have been running smoothly all afternoon, so hopefully it'll only mean the occasional crash for as long as I need to use those assets.

For future reference, is there a way to determine if a particular addon has been converted for use in 1.3? I may find myself looking for other items on this project and would love to minimize crashing.

- Dex
MacBook Pro - Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.66 GHz - 4 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M/9600M GT - Snow Leopard (10.6.4)

#4 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:15 PM

Unless a modder posts something on the forum and says that that model has been converted, there is no way to tell if one has been converted or not to 1.3. All of mine have been converted but I always post a thread about the mods I have converted.

If you still have the older version of Moviestorm installed something you can do is to take an old addon and install it there and then you will generate the folders you need to be able to move it to the new version. However, some of the older user made mods still don't work.

#5 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:10 AM

For Mac's - When Moviestorm crashes to desktop, please select the 'More Details' option and copy the log from there. The crash log is different to the normal log (which you posted).
(For PC's the crash log is created in the installation folder, and has a name like hs_err_pid####.log)

If this problem happens again, please try to provide that one, and let us know what you were doing when it crashed.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#6 sfdex

sfdex

Master Director

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

I'll keep my eyes open for this problem again. I removed the Emergency Vehicles folder from the Addons directory, but still had a crash later in the day. I didn't catch the error message or log then, but then thought that maybe the kitchen addon was the problem, so I've removed its folders, as well.

That said, what I was doing at the time of the first crash above had nothing to do with either of these folders. I was browsing through my various characters, just trying to scroll all the way over to the right to grab a character I'd built for this project.

I don't have these addons installed (though may have to reinstall them if the client needs me to redo the shots I did in the kitchen with the fire extinguisher). So, if this problem crops up again, I'll be sure to grab the log you're looking for.

(If you can tell me what file name or something unique to it would be generated in the crash log, I can use spotlight to find the file in question. I'm not sure where this "more details" option would present itself.)

Thanks,
Dex

#7 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:01 AM

"The Mac dialogue box says this:

Moviestorm quit unexpectedly while using the libjogl.jnlib plug-in"

Was what you said it told you - I was expecting there to be a 'More Details' option on that dialogue box.

Edit: Just watched Moviestorm crash on a mac.
There is a 'Report' button (Rather than More Details), on the 'Moviestorm quit unexpectedly' dialogue. Dont sent the report to Apple, copy it and send it to us.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#8 sfdex

sfdex

Master Director

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

Hi, Ben --

Thanks for continuing to follow up on this. I just had another crash, but there was no error message (nor an opportunity to "report" the crash; it just went to a full blue-screen for a second (not the same dark blue screen of death so common on WinXP, but a more pale, robin's-egg blue) and then to my desktop. I've never had an application crash like that on my Mac before.

Interestingly, it happened in the same way as the first crash I reported in this thread: while I was scrolling through the numerous characters in the character view. And I just got it to reproduce the crash. Here's what I did:

1. Start Moviestorm
2. Create New Movie
3. Base: Moviestorm
4. Empty Set
5. Characters View
6. Scroll toward the end of the characters
7. Enjoy Pretty Blue flash
8. Enjoy view of Space Shuttle lifting off (which is my desktop)

Attached is the log from the crash (though not the details you'd requested because the computer didn't give me the opportunity to capture details; this is just the normal log file).

I believe I have figured out what caused the crash, though. The characters in Characters View (now up to several dozen in number) had not finished loading in, and I was scrolling over to see my added characters all the way at the end of the line. I guess I need to be more patient as the characters load.

Attached Files

#9 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

Either that or the last line in your log is the culprit:

Warning: loading a file with an older format (7 vs 9)
Warning: loading a file with an older format (7 vs 9)

Do you have a crash report somewhere (similarly to the Windows system and application logs that show all crash and other issues)?

#10 sfdex

sfdex

Master Director

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

Yes, I've attached the console messages from 8:48:53 AM when I launched Moviestorm until 8:53:22 after Moviestorm had crashed. It's pretty much all Greek to me, though I do understand that there are lots of errors, event port deaths, and "server didn't like your request" things in there. Plus an error that Moviestorm exited with code 143.

Oh, no, not dread code 143!

(I have no idea what code 143 is.)

Anyway, I hope this stuff is useful to you engineering types!

Attached Files

#11 PapaG

PapaG

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 864 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE (sfdex @ Jul 13 2010, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe I have figured out what caused the crash, though. The characters in Characters View (now up to several dozen in number) had not finished loading in, and I was scrolling over to see my added characters all the way at the end of the line. I guess I need to be more patient as the characters load.

If what you think is the problem, really is. then Might I suggest the flowing Temperarey solution, If you Own a lot of MS Addons (From the MS Market place as I do as i have all of them but one) tho it is takes a bit of time at first the pay off is wonderful and it is what I have done!

In the addon dir in each of the MS Addon there is are two Folders "data" and "Stock"...
for this example lets use addon "DomesticDrama02" so In the MS "addon" we select "DomesticDrama02" (this is a MS addon not a user made)
in this folder we select "stock" now inside of "stock" of "DomesticDrama02" you will find nine other folders with the fallowing names: "Bedroom 01", "Boys Bedroom", "Felicity", "Girls Bedroom", "Jean", "Jennifer", "Maurice", "Paul", &"Saiko".

Now "Bedroom 01", "Boys Bedroom", & "Girls Bedroom" are stock Sets, and "Felicity", "Jean", "Jennifer", "Maurice", "Paul", &"Saiko" are Stock Characters .

If you make a "new folder" in side the folder "stock" (rename it whatever you like) and Move "Felicity", "Jean", "Jennifer", "Maurice", "Paul", &"Saiko" in that folder. This will brake the Directery path MS use when loading The characters in Characters View and the next time you open The Characters View. "Felicity", "Jean", "Jennifer", "Maurice", "Paul", &"Saiko" will no longer be there unless you move them back outside of the "New Folder" you Just Created.

This work's so you can go into all your other MS Addons and find the one with Stock Characters and doo the same
I figure it smart to keep two (one of each Gender) so I Keep "Mark" and "Jin" In Ms "Bace 01' the rest I got rid of using the above method. so now all that loads when I open The characters in Characters View mode are Mark, Jin, and all the stock Characters I Created

save's a whole lot of loading time and causes my stock characters that I want to use Load way Quicker

and all the original Ms Stock are Backed up In there Directory I didn't even delete them if I want them back I gust revers the Process.

Gerald Lang

papag.jpg

I am around occasionally

#12 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

This line is interesting:
08:52:08.593 ReportCrash[754:1407] Saved crash report for WindowServer[701] version ??? (???) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/WindowServer_2010-07-13-085208_localhost.crash

Please could you find that file, and attach it to a reply?
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#13 sfdex

sfdex

Master Director

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Jul 14 2010, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please could you find that file, and attach it to a reply?

Ben --

Attached is the file you requested. Hope it's helpful!

PapaG --

That's a helpful insight. As a matter of fact, I own all of the content packs (except for the sound and filters), so I have a boat-load of characters in the Character View. Your solution is a good one, but also I think a more zen approach on my part might be good, too. It only takes a few seconds for my computer to load all of the characters, so I just need to take that moment to sip my tea or stretch my arms....

Moviestorm: Now with added zen.

- Dex

#14 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

Your attachment seems to be invisible laugh.gif

#15 sfdex

sfdex

Master Director

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:46 PM

Peculiar. I'm sure I attached it. But I'll attach it again.

I wonder if it's because it's got a .crash extension. Ben, I'm renaming the .crash extension to .txt and that should make it visible. You can rename the extension back to .crash when you get it....

- Dex

Attached Files

#16 peet

peet

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Jul 12 2010, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For Mac's - When Moviestorm crashes to desktop, please select the 'More Details' option and copy the log from there. The crash log is different to the normal log (which you posted).
(For PC's the crash log is created in the installation folder, and has a name like hs_err_pid####.log)

If this problem happens again, please try to provide that one, and let us know what you were doing when it crashed.

I've been having the same problem...with the same error messages....MS is also causing Screenwriter to crash as well as anything else that happens to be open at the time. I've never had this happen on a Mac. In the past an app crashing hasn't caused any other apps to crash. The crash comes when I'm scrolling through the objects or the characters ..................or when I'm in the workshop view moving objects. I cleared all 3rd party addons but MS still crashes.

here's is the "Report Log"

Attached Files

#17 sfdex

sfdex

Master Director

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

Peet -- I don't use anything other than Moviestorm when I'm working with it; something about having Moviestorm open makes all of the GPU-accelerated interface animations on OSX get funky. I'd guess that it's because both Moviestorm and the interface are trying to access the same graphic processors. But because of this, I don't use anything else -- I've even disabled the animation on my dock.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who's had these issues.

And thanks, as always, to Moviestorm for continuing to include those of us who use Macs!

biggrin.gif

#18 peet

peet

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (sfdex @ Jul 20 2010, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Peet -- I don't use anything other than Moviestorm when I'm working with it; something about having Moviestorm open makes all of the GPU-accelerated interface animations on OSX get funky. I'd guess that it's because both Moviestorm and the interface are trying to access the same graphic processors. But because of this, I don't use anything else -- I've even disabled the animation on my dock.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who's had these issues.

And thanks, as always, to Moviestorm for continuing to include those of us who use Macs!

biggrin.gif

Hey DEX

I have the same result if I have nothing but MS open. I know two people that live in my area that had exactly the same problems with MS. One user has a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro. The other user has an iMac like mine. As far as I know, they've both quit using MS.

I took your advice and turned off Dock animation but without success. I shouldn't have to constantly work around MS and try and figure out what Moviestorm wants Me to do next. I think it should work the other way around.

It's obvious that this build of MS is not efficient CPU wise on a Mac. Hopefully the MS staff can solve the problem o/w, for me, MS is unusable.

It's very important for me to be able to have Screenwriter open while working in MS so that I can Copy And Paste Between Screenwriter and the Script View ( Scene Descriptions) and Director's View (Dialogue) in MS. It also helps to know what I need to do next in MS. I can't work on a film w/o a Shooting Script.

After all, this is 2010 and computers have been capable of multitasking for quite a while now. Especially Mac's.

Peter

#19 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:58 AM

Dispite all these logs, I'm afraid we are not making much progress here.

As I understand it, you both have iMac's with a nvidia 9400M graphics, and Snow leopard.

And the crash generally occures when scrolling someing?

One thing that I can sugest would be to try with shaders turned off (although if it is happening in 2D stuff, such as scrolling, this may not make a big difference). If it does make a difference, I would be interested to hear about it.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#20 peet

peet

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:03 AM

I have the shaders turned off. This problem started for me with 1.3.

Again, the crash happens when I'm scrolling through the object list or scrolling through the character list. It doesn't matter how fast I scroll. It also happens when I'm moving objects on a set in the workshop view.

It's not a normal crash where just MS quits, but any app that is open also crashes. This is like a PC crash (one of the reasons I use a Mac instead of a PC).

I don't use MS as a hobby, I use it in my work.

Please fix this.

Peter