Moviestorm in a Development context

primaveranz
post Jan 18 2009, 1:41 AM
Post #1

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 2,534

I am very interested in the use of Moviestorm in the context of education in a developing country. I am a volunteer with a non-governmental organisation called Wan Smolbag Theatre (http://www.wansmolbag.org). Smolbag works in educational theatre in the areas of Health, Governance, Human Rights, Environment etc. We also have a youth centre for local kids whose parents can't afford to pay their school fees. We run several clubs e.g sports, nutrition, sewing, literacy and computers. I have set up a couple of PCs using thin client technology which lets us run 14 computer stations with internet connection. I am keen to try and set up a Moviestorm group and to get the older kids use the medium to make everything from Fun videos to issue-driven items e.g. on STIs etc. Kids here often have very different life experiences to those in the west, although it is often just a matter of degree. E.g. gun crime is not common but other forms of violence e.g. wife beating and incest, are almost an accepted fact of life. So, although it might seem quite distasteful, it would be extremely useful in a development context to have things like animations reflecting various aspects of drunkeness or drug-induced behaviour and be able to show e.g. black eyes and other injuries/dressings on faces. More traditional types of ethnic dress, buildings, and body tattoos and face painting etc. would make stories appear much closer to home.
Sorry if this post seems a bit depressing and unpleasant, in fact Smolbag is a place of huge optimism and hope and like other such NGOs around the world we are determined to do our bit to improve people's lot.
A tool like Moviestorm seems to me to offer an ideal way to engage with youth and I would even suggest that you contact someone like Save the Children Fund or UNICEF (who I believe have funded the production of issues-based TV animations) to see if there is scope to produce a Developing Country pack.
Cheers,
John

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
willshetterly
post Jan 18 2009, 1:59 AM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,351

I started making bruised faces to provide as free addons and got sidetracked. I'll try to get back to that soon.

You're right about a drunken walk being useful.

Upload some pictures of local building examples, or link to them, and some of the modders on Windows who can import Google Warehouse props might be able to help you.

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Jan 18 2009, 2:08 AM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,534

Great suggestion Will. What forum should I post to for that?

Sorry silly question! Just found the world of modding. I had no idea there were so many free add-ons being developed by everyone!

Thanks.

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
willshetterly
post Jan 18 2009, 5:44 AM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,351

Short Fuze is small, so their fans are doing all they can to help out. You could put a request in the modding forum, maybe linking to your first post here, and with luck, someone can help. I will try to get the bruised faces done in the next week.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: